Learning a skill in isolation

Caporegime
Might try a language. Obvs good time to look at any work/professional skills or side hussstles/projects.

Plenty of free courses/lectures/notes etc... out there.

ajf

ajf

Soldato
I’ve got quite a few different fountain pens and ink so have spent quite a bit of spare time practising better writing and calligraphy styles.
Not very good at it, but it’s very relaxing and the time flies by.
Stops me staring at screen for too long.!

Soldato
I've had a 3d printer, and have been tinkering with Raspberry Pis for some time. I've stepped it up a notch now I'm not able to leave the house! Printing more complex models that I've designed myself in Fusion 360 to make lamp enclosures for my Hue bulbs, plus a replacement bedside light. On the Electronics/coding side, I got myself some NodeMcu ESP8662s and some more sensors, LCD screens, RGB LEDs and other accessories and getting familiar with that. Once I've come up with a proper design my next step will be a fancier bedside lamp with clock, information like weather (maybe?), and some smart RGB lighting that changes colour temperature to be less strain on the eye, not super bridge if I turn it on in the middle of the night etc! This of course all sitting in a custom-designed and printed case :)

Soldato
Problem is. most of those sorts of project involve tools/materials. Much of which are hard to get hold of just at the moment. :/

True to a certain degree i guess. Places like B & Q and Screwfix still open with a click and collect service but possibly frowned upon as its not 'essemtial' as such. Relieves the boredom of staying in though.

Soldato
Get a GOOD QUALITY small mig machine to learn, the difficult part can be getting the settings right but these machines generally have settings depending on thickness of the metal.

An experienced welder can manage just fine with a cheap £150 Sealy/Clarke.

For a beginner, especially if you are wanting to deal with thin stuff like car bodywork. A more expensive machine using proper argoshileed rather than disposable O2 cylinders is much more forgiving (And satisfying)

This is the modern equivalent of the welder I bought some years ago.

https://migtigarc.co.uk/tecarc-prof-mig-c181-compact-mig-welder-241-p.asp

I have always been very pleased with it. They even supplied mine with a plug weld timer on request at very little additional charge.

of particular note is the low amps rage, this you need for thin metal.

Your cheap 180 amp sealley/clarke will often only go down to 40 amps (or even higher). Ok for shipbuilding (Until it overheats) but not much good for welding up ones MX5 :p

Hobbyweld https://hobbyweld.co.uk/ can provide exchange rent free cylinders so you can get propper gas without having to have a BOC/AP account.

Back
Top Bottom