Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
Eureka arrived today. Lovely bit of kit, smaller than I imagined, but weighs an absolute ton, like a lead brick :p

Just put a grind through of the old java, very oily bean, came out nice a loose. Sadly only brewed in a moka express until the machine arrives, but it was much better than the sadness that was the coffee smashed up in the blade grinder :)

Man of Honour
Had 3kg of coffee arrive from 2 roasters today.

1kg from Hasbean - 4x250g bags, assorted things.
1kg from Origin - Just a 1kg bag of their San Fermin. One of the best coffee's I've had over the last couple of years, to the point that for the last 2 Third Wave Wichtelns that happened (still waiting for 2019' to happen) it's been one of the coffee's I've sent.
1kg from a friend's little roaster. Can't say much yet, but they're really small lots. I think they're going to be about £15-20 each... :eek:

Man of Honour
The postie delivered my 2 Kg order from Rave coffee today, that's the most I've ever ordered from one roaster at any time. Makes up for my intended bulk buy for #LCF20, I bought 1.5 Kg there last year.

I usually end up with a backpack full of coffee from the LCF. I know many of the roasters and baristas, so I usually get given samples or new beans to try out... Generally don't have to buy anything unless it's something I really want to try. I don't think the LCF is going to happen this year though. Shame. I enjoy getting together the caffeine obsessed bunch of idiots. :D

Been to their British Library shop a few times, not sure I've had the San Fermin but got a full loyalty card to use if we're ever let out again, might have to pause my square mile subscription and try some :)

It's normally my first stop when I get into London. Kings Cross is my station. It's a nice place to unwind after having to deal with Thameslink or Great Northern ******* trains. Add to that I used to go in when the market was outside most, so Crosstown Donuts was my next stop. ;)

Origin is near to my office. Best coffee in Shoreditch, imo. Ozone are really good, too.

I also like Shoreditch Grind, Attendant and Bulldog at Ace Hotel. Ozone, I found they roasted too dark for my tastes but that may have changed since (and they have bought Hasbean), but their food was superb the last time I was there.

That reminds me, must go back to Blues Kitchen if London is ever open again.

Soldato
The postie delivered my 2 Kg order from Rave coffee today, that's the most I've ever ordered from one roaster at any time.
I usually buy enough for notional free postage, preferably when Rave had(still have?) offers, and, freeze that which I wont use over a month, after off-gassing.

Local roasters (cambridge) probably supply some workplaces ... so I should probably investigate whether they will drop off at my workplace,
since never have time to visit them .. otherwise little distinction with folks like Rave -
although there is some artisanal aspect to locals, it's offset by the bigger folks have more consistant quality with better equipment ?

Soldato
/\/\/\ there's a few fairly close to Cambridge I can think of that either follow me on Twitter, or I'm aware of them:

Coffee Officina (Espresso Library serves their coffee)
Silver Oak in Ely (they frequent Ely Market but not right now)
TakiTaki in Saffron Walden.

I only ordered that much because I got a 25% email from them! :D

I don't think the LCF is going to happen this year though. Shame.

I think you're right. I think I can skip a year though. I'm glad I'm NOT going today though, on a warm & Sunny spring day (Last year was Freezing!) The brewery will be like a SAUNA. I remember going on days like this & leaving, feeling I'd been roasted like a coffee bean myself! ;):p

Last edited:
Caporegime
I also like Shoreditch Grind, Attendant and Bulldog at Ace Hotel. Ozone, I found they roasted too dark for my tastes but that may have changed since (and they have bought Hasbean), but their food was superb the last time I was there.

That reminds me, must go back to Blues Kitchen if London is ever open again.
Used to work in Ace Hotel (Hoi Polloi) - by that I mean I was a remote worker that would set up camp in hoi polloi as a customer - and whilst the coffee was certainly passable I didn't think it compared to origin. :)

Blues Kitchen is a top choice, too :)

Man of Honour
Local roasters (cambridge) probably supply some workplaces ... so I should probably investigate whether they will drop off at my workplace,
since never have time to visit them .. otherwise little distinction with folks like Rave -
although there is some artisanal aspect to locals, it's offset by the bigger folks have more consistant quality with better equipment ?

Hot Numbers in Cambridge is still roasting and selling online. Really enjoyed visiting one of their cafes.

Soldato
checks coffeeforums deals, zilch for Rave .. very personalized ?

I presume so. My last order from them was 6 months ago.

Hot Numbers in Cambridge is still roasting and selling online. Really enjoyed visiting one of their cafes.

I forgot about them. Been in both places in Cambridge a couple of times now. Good Coffee. I want to visit their New Roastery in Sherpeth at some point hopefully.

Soldato
Just ordered a few bits from Rave. Hope this Gaggia Classic turns up soon as I'm already looking at Lelit machines that are in stock and wondering about cancelling :p

Soldato
/\/\/\ do it. Modern Gaggia Classics (post 2015) are nowhere near as well made as the older models. I looked at the latest one (out of curiosity) & its a fair bit shorter than said older models. It looked as though you would not be able to place a standard height espresso shot glass under the portafilter. The Mara range is the smallest E61 machine I've seen, I think they are cheap considering what they are & what you get for your money.

Soldato
/\/\/\ do it. Modern Gaggia Classics (post 2015) are nowhere near as well made as the older models. I looked at the latest one (out of curiosity) & its a fair bit shorter than said older models. It looked as though you would not be able to place a standard height espresso shot glass under the portafilter. The Mara range is the smallest E61 machine I've seen, I think they are cheap considering what they are & what you get for your money.

You're a bad man :(

I was looking at the Grace, but now I'm looking at the Mara. More than I was planning to spend, but I've got a Leica lens sat here I've not used in years and now I'm thinking I'll sell it and use the money for something I'll use every day :)

There's a Rocket Apartamento on coffeeforums that's quite tempting too...

Soldato
I might be patriotic too V but, have never looked for interior shots on Lelit build quality.
just remembered (UK based) Fracino too, they have not be mentioned recently, but they have an oscar & silvia competitor bambino/piccino.

So does anyone have a Rave voucher ? I looked payed £28/2kg signature 2 years back ...now it's £40
... they seem to have rejigged their packaging, but maybe everyone has post box compliancy now.

Back
Top Bottom