Poll: TV above mantelpiece or not?

Should I put the new TV above the mantelpiece?

• Yes

Votes: 19 11.7%
  • No

Votes: 144 88.3%

• Total voters
Soldato
Typically I'd say no, however your fireplace looks like it doesn't go too high. If you put it there would you be straining your neck looking at it? If yes then keep it in the corner and build shelving around it (we use a cantilever arm for mounting), if no then put it there.

Soldato
OP
Going by the poll, it looks as though replacing my TV with a 43" in the corner is the way to go. I can't go any bigger without needing to bring it forward in front of the fireplace and window, which will just look odd and be a pain with the curtains.

It's certainly a cheaper option though, but allows more money to be spent on hifi :p

Can't find the stand for the current TV, so at the weekend I'll mark out with tape on the wall above mantel where the TV would be and sit and test before I make up my mind.

Yes get that tv up above.
Then buy a Gucci belt and celebrate sitting on the corner sofa.

:D

Last edited:
Soldato
did you simulate a 55" screen size with a piece of cardboard on the face of existing tv ?
... going from 43"->55" you only need to find 5" on either side ... changing the angle or moving it out a 'bit'

Soldato
Going by the poll, it looks as though replacing my TV with a 43" in the corner is the way to go. I can't go any bigger without needing to bring it forward in front of the fireplace and window, which will just look odd and be a pain with the curtains.

That's a really bad idea, 43" at 3.5m will be as immersive as looking at a Smartphone screen, then any speakers will be cramped together around a corner stand :p

Get a 55/65 above that mantel and ignore the poll posts. Those voting for the corner have the sense of those rushing to supermarkets and filling their trolleys with 188 toilet rolls!

Soldato
another issue (if its not an oled) with the high position is the off-axis viewing on an VA panel .... I'd be auditioning , with that in mind

you're going to be looking at top edge of screen at a ~ 1m/3m ~ 20degrees angle, which is within the albeit, sideways shift black+gamma angle on
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q60t-qled for example, by their criteria anyway.

Soldato
OP
That's a really bad idea, 43" at 3.5m will be as immersive as looking at a Smartphone screen, then any speakers will be cramped together around a corner stand :p

Get a 55/65 above that mantel and ignore the poll posts. Those voting for the corner have the sense of those rushing to supermarkets and filling their trolleys with 188 toilet rolls!

I'm used to a 40" screen, so that 3" inches would make a difference as it is :D. But yes, generally agree. Going to masking tape up the wall this weekend as a test.

another issue (if its not an oled) with the high position is the off-axis viewing on an VA panel .... I'd be auditioning , with that in mind

you're going to be looking at top edge of screen at a ~ 1m/3m ~ 20degrees angle, which is within the albeit, sideways shift black+gamma angle on
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q60t-qled for example, by their criteria anyway.

The screen will be tilted some. But yes, will bear this in mind.

Soldato
OP
Measured and masked up just the height on the wall starting 7" up from the mantel (to cater for the centre) and it looks higher than I thought it would be. But arguably not too high but the initial 7" makes a difference for sure.

I need to ponder for longer.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I used the inc stand dimension. Which is 4-5" more than required. So a little better now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
I guess if you're family is used to watching TV from the couch then a TV above the mantle makes sense.

I was brought up in a family that gathered around an open fire to watch TV. Even now I sometimes sit on the floor next to the fire to watch TV. It's magic on a cold winters day. This just wouldn't be possible with a TV above the mantle.

Soldato
This is all very much on hold since I got furloughed last week. So no spending whilst job security is at risk.
While it on hold you could always mount the TV you have now above the mantel piece for a few weeks or a few months to test to see if you're happy or not with a TV mounted at that height..;)

Soldato
OP
**UPDATE**

I did it and glad I did.

Upgraded to:
  • 55” Sony XH95
  • Panasonic DP-UB820 Blu-ray Player
  • Sony STR-DN1080
  • Elac Debut B5.2
  • Elac Debut C5.2
  • BK Elec P12-300SB-DF
Still considering the rears. Might cross that bridge when we do other work e.g. upstairs carpets and new sofas and chairs.

Obligatory potato pic:

AlTCUPP.jpg

Would I prefer not to have the TV above the mantelpiece? Of course, but I don't think it's too high, sort of on the limit though. I feel i've done the best I could with a bad situation with also playing with a tight budget, I managed to get the TV on Black Friday and everything apart from the sub and Blu-ray player were on deal at the time. It pays to do this gradually.

[FLAME SUIT ON]

Last edited:
Soldato
I hadn't registered the darkening, on fireplace mantle, before ... is it more than decorative then ? ... or the flame suit comment is a pun.

Soldato
OP
I hadn't registered the darkening, on fireplace mantle, before ... is it more than decorative then ? ... or the flame suit comment is a pun.

It’s not been used this winter and not going to be used for the foreseeable.
I’m not going to get rid of the fireplace though as it’s a good feature for an old cottage, worth keeping if we ever decide to move.

Which reminds me, I’ve got a **** load of wood in the barn/garage. Might get something for the garden for chilly nights.

Soldato
**UPDATE**

I did it and glad I did.

Upgraded to:
  • 55” Sony XH95
  • Panasonic DP-UB820 Blu-ray Player
  • Sony STR-DN1080
  • Elac Debut B5.2
  • Elac Debut C5.2
  • BK Elec P12-300SB-DF
Still considering the rears. Might cross that bridge when we do other work e.g. upstairs carpets and new sofas and chairs.

Obligatory potato pic:

AlTCUPP.jpg

Would I prefer not to have the TV above the mantle? Of course, but I don't think it's too high, sort of on the limit though. I feel i've done the best I could with a bad situation with also playing with a tight budget, I managed to get the TV on Black Friday and everything apart from the sub and Blu-ray player were on deal at the time. It pays to do this gradually.

[FLAME SUIT ON]

I said "no" in your Poll.

But it actually didn't work out too bad. It looks ok.

Well done :)

Back
Top Bottom