• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen heatsink removal...

Soldato
Back in the days of the X2 3800+ I tried to remove a heatsink and ended up taking the heatsink off but ended up ripping the CPU from its socket ending up with it stuck firmly to the bottom of the heatsink

Is this still a thing likely to happen with a ryzen system?

Soldato
Back in the days of the X2 3800+ I tried to remove a heatsink and ended up taking the heatsink off but ended up ripping the CPU from its socket ending up with it stuck firmly to the bottom of the heatsink

Is this still a thing likely to happen with a ryzen system?
Funny. Researched the same yesterday. Very much so apparently.

Gently twist a little side to to side. Never pull.

Perhaps heat up the rig first?

I might switch over to a 150i from stock wraith so wanted to know the score as there is no restrainer/bracket like on my 2011 chipset.

Associate
Old fool here BUT have managed to replace coolers (Wraith) on both 3700x and 3900x without causing damage :)

Warmed the cpu up by running Prime 95 for minimum of 5 mins - then twist cooler , gently, from side to side .

Soldato
OP
Thanks reason for wanting to remove the cooler is for the last week or so my idle temps are in the mid 70s so want to remove and give the cooler a good cleaning and replace the paste.

Associate
Was lazy last night wanting to remove the cooler without taking board out the case did this exact thing. No damage luckily but no doubt it won't be the last time I'm this daft, certainly isn't the first

Back
Top Bottom