The Last of Us Part II

Soldato
But in late January definitely was a 100 percent possibility

"Definitely a possibility"? We were still going about our business as usual until the beginning of March, there was absolutely no indication in January to most people, businesses or seemingly even the government that we'd be in lockdown. I'm not sure how you're expecting a games developer/publisher to be better at contingency planning for a pandemic than the rest of us.

There's probably also the fact that with thousands dying daily it's perhaps not the best time for a massive marketing campaign for a game with the sort of themes TLoU2 has, the media would slaughter them.

Later in the year we are going to get a raft of delays, if things carry on as they are, I think both consoles will get delayed into next year.

Agreed, and even if they do somehow launch, various other games will undoubtedly have been pushed back by then too so there might not even be much worth buying a new console for until a good year or so later.

Soldato
"Definitely a possibility"? We were still going about our business as usual until the beginning of March, there was absolutely no indication in January to most people, businesses or seemingly even the government that we'd be in lockdown. I'm not sure how you're expecting a games developer/publisher to be better at contingency planning for a pandemic than the rest of us.

There's probably also the fact that with thousands dying daily it's perhaps not the best time for a massive marketing campaign for a game with the sort of themes TLoU2 has, the media would slaughter them.

Agreed, and even if they do somehow launch, various other games will undoubtedly have been pushed back by then too so there might not even be much worth buying a new console for until a good year or so later.
There was plenty of indication especially when a few people from that region returned/visited a skii resort in europe.

The gov and many people in the public brushed it off as the "flu" and people still do so and dont care.

There are other games that have come out or will come in the next month or two that have not been delayed.

Soldato
So much uncertainty about everything there is no point ND giving a date and it having to move again. Better to stay quiet, finish the game and when they know for a fact they can stock in stores then announce.

Soldato
I can't see them rushing to push out a post-pandemic-apocalypse horror game right now, it's not like they're a struggling indie that don't have the buffers to delay launch a while longer.

FWIW the studio I'm at has transitioned to all remote working fairly painlessly, I don't imagine the disruption is too bad for any other studio, in terms of being able to continue development.

Soldato
They can release it digitally

The fact that they aren't suggests that physical sales are still a lot more important than many people think.

FWIW the studio I'm at has transitioned to all remote working fairly painlessly, I don't imagine the disruption is too bad for any other studio, in terms of being able to continue development.

How does that work for people who need fairly powerful systems, have they taken the hardware home with them?

Soldato
How does that work for people who need fairly powerful systems, have they taken the hardware home with them?

A good friend of mine is a senior developer at Thekla (Braid, The Witness etc), and they are all working at home, but from my understanding they are operating their office based desktop PCs remotely to still utilize the hardware etc.

Soldato
I saw headline about it this morning, didn't click into it as want to avoid spoilers where I can.

Shame it's happened but if it's that close to being done like some say also not a surprise

Back
Top Bottom