Project Whurple - White/Purple Watercooled Build - Changes to 3d printer build!!

Man of Honour
OP
lots of messing about... Re trammed it while hot, tightened up all the belts (thanks for that) and clamped the machine like so...

So far so good...

Seems to be all about the clamps!!

Man of Honour
OP
@Vince have you seen the Linus tech tips video about 3d printer from China, I feel it will help you if you give it a little watch

I haven't but mine is now working! It's printing stuff like that little cube like an absolute boss!

Just watched the first bit and im telling you, for the money that thing doesnt look half as good as my £75 quid build it yourself jobbie.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dimensionally it's looking grand, nice job. It's not the smoothest print so I think you might have some over-extrusion going on now, but you're not going to get completely seamless prints simply because you're squirting layers on top of each other. Of course, the finer the layer height, the less visible it'll be.

That's my test doggo after a few hours tuning up the printer last year. It's mental though with a 0.1mm layer height and about 40mm/s speed, took about 4 hours and it's only around 50mm tall. That's insane quality though, and for functional and structural stuff you don't need to be quite this refined.
doggo.jpg

Those LED holders I printed for Asteria II took 14 minutes for the pair. Only 6mm tall and about 12mm long, but again was 0.1mm layer height and a sedentary 20mm/s print speed because I needed the precision.

Also, you won't need the masking tape to print on once your temperatures are in check, although if you don't have a removable build plate it'll be a pain to remove well-adhered prints :p (I have a magnetic surface I just whip off when done).

Man of Honour
OP
Dimensionally it's looking grand, nice job. It's not the smoothest print so I think you might have some over-extrusion going on now, but you're not going to get completely seamless prints simply because you're squirting layers on top of each other. Of course, the finer the layer height, the less visible it'll be.

That's my test doggo after a few hours tuning up the printer last year. It's mental though with a 0.1mm layer height and about 40mm/s speed, took about 4 hours and it's only around 50mm tall. That's insane quality though, and for functional and structural stuff you don't need to be quite this refined.
doggo.jpg

Those LED holders I printed for Asteria II took 14 minutes for the pair. Only 6mm tall and about 12mm long, but again was 0.1mm layer height and a sedentary 20mm/s print speed because I needed the precision.

Also, you won't need the masking tape to print on once your temperatures are in check, although if you don't have a removable build plate it'll be a pain to remove well-adhered prints :p (I have a magnetic surface I just whip off when done).

That doggo is looking awesome! I don't think my last image does the cube any justice really it's so small! I scaled it back to 1.2cm... This one might be a little better! It's not perfect by a long shot.

So over extruded... turn down the heat at the nozel?

Man of Honour
OP
@Illuminist - I recon my boaty is better than the boaty from their $95 printer! I left it overnight and this is exactly what she looks like this morning.

I recon I can get it better still as well :) Will spend more time tuning that bad boy! Left him printing over night. Think I was running just a bit too hot on the bed and not quite hot enough on the nozel.

BOATY!!!

Also to stop this thread becoming "look at me, I print things!" I apparently have some computer type things on the way to me today including an ocuk order! Happy days!

Last edited:
Soldato
@Illuminist - I recon my boaty is better than the boaty from their $95 printer! I left it overnight and this is exactly what she looks like this morning.

I recon I can get it better still as well :) Will spend more time tuning that bad boy! Left him printing over night. Think I was running just a bit too hot on the bed and not quite hot enough on the nozel.

BOATY!!!

Also to stop this thread becoming "look at me, I print things!" I apparently have some computer type things on the way to me today including an ocuk order! Happy days!
Can't blame you for being excited with your new toy lol
When was your ocuk stuff ordered?
Still waiting on mine from the 3rd
Not that overly worried given the current exceptional circumstances

Man of Honour
OP
Can't blame you for being excited with your new toy lol
When was your ocuk stuff ordered?
Still waiting on mine from the 3rd
Not that overly worried given the current exceptional circumstances

Ordered on the 31st and it was shipped yesterday :) It's only all of the fluid. There are 2 more things I need prior to that anyway and neither are here.

1) new bendy rod thing.
2) white Rad is on its way. - This is weeks and weeks late with yodel. (its been on a van every day since the 2nd and hasn't found it's way to me. The "parcels journey" bit on Yodel reads like a book.

Soldato

BOATY!!!

Boaty!!

Great stuff, Linus had to buy different stuff to get anywhere near that, what a loser.

Can't wait for the build also

Man of Honour
OP
Boaty!!

Great stuff, Linus had to buy different stuff to get anywhere near that, what a loser.

Can't wait for the build also

Damn right! Wouldn't know a high quality £75 printer if it poked him in the eye! I do have a higher quality filament on the way which is very exciting! I do think that what I got for the money is not bad at all really.

Soldato
Benchy McBenchface! I've never actually printed a Benchy...the printer does need firing up again soon, so perhaps I shall this time.

I watched that Linus video and cringed when his perceptions were skewed because of that mental Ultimaker he has, and then laughed heartily when his Ultimaker comparisons were just ******* shocking :D Jesus wept, I had better prints on my Ender before she was dialled in.

Man of Honour
OP
Benchy McBenchface! I've never actually printed a Benchy...the printer does need firing up again soon, so perhaps I shall this time.

I watched that Linus video and cringed when his perceptions were skewed because of that mental Ultimaker he has, and then laughed heartily when his Ultimaker comparisons were just ******* shocking :D Jesus wept, I had better prints on my Ender before she was dialled in.

Yea I was sure there is better for that money. Granted not in pre made but that wasn't the point of the video. So yea I stick by my little £75 crappy printer being better value at this point! Some updates to whurple are here. Really just waiting on one thing now, just one thing!! I'm hopeful for the weekend!

Man of Honour
OP
And for those of you following that thought "jesus I didn't sign up to some random 3d print thread", I present to you:

More Toys! We aim to cater for everybody so we will continue with the build!

Waiting bendy thing now!

Not the best finish on the rad tbh compared to the stuff ive been spraying it's a really dull finish, perhaps more of an off white. Will do the job just fine though and means I don't need to spray. Ill sell the Bykski rad for a fiver to somebody on the members market or something.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom