getting into driving games

Associate
So is VR always the perfect perspective i.e like you would see in real life? And is it proper 3D so you get depth perception, speed perception etc?

I've been using my oculus quest (with link) for VR I have been blown away by the immersion of it.

You get a decent sense of speed and being able to look into the apex of the corner is very natural. I would struggle to go back to my ultrawide screen.

With sim racing i have always struggled to ignore all distractions and just focus on driving (which leads to frustrating mistakes) - being in VR has made a big difference for me.

Soldato
I have an RX480 8GB.

I've had a quick look and this GPU isnt going to play nicely with VR, unless you lower a lot of detail / resolution which will then look horrible. For a good VR experience you need good hardware to pump out frames to match the VR headset Hz.
If you're on a budget, I would look for a 1080p gsync monitor and VESA monitor arm. Otherwise a new GPU and VR will set you back at least 1k

Soldato
OP
I was planning to upgrade the gpu when the next gen comes out anyway. The current gpu has no trouble getting 75 Hz (freesync) on my existing monitor (1080p) on max settings and it meets the min specs for both rift and index.

Not ready to buy yet anyway, will see what the hardware picture is in a few months time and put up with smaller screen for now.

Caporegime
dont feel the need to have to get VR. most people who will say its amazing is because they already got it. guy i game with always on about how great it is has brought 4 different headsets within last year then sold them. its in its infancy still.

i would say high hz monitors do give a advantage. so look at that before diving in full footed VR.

Soldato
I was planning to upgrade the gpu when the next gen comes out anyway. The current gpu has no trouble getting 75 Hz (freesync) on my existing monitor (1080p) on max settings and it meets the min specs for both rift and index.

Not ready to buy yet anyway, will see what the hardware picture is in a few months time and put up with smaller screen for now.

This is wise. I bought VR when the CV1 was released and have a 1080Ti. The 'specifically designed' (i.e turd looking and not actual games IMO) VR titles played great but things like getting Half Life 2 to work properly in VR, Dirt Rally and others required big fps. Dirt was the best though. That said, the VR games which were more like VR demo's were fun, things like roller coasters, minecarts and fairground rides. Best moment was putting my housemate who had a hangover on the virtual pirate ship and Hell walzers :D

dont feel the need to have to get VR. most people who will say its amazing is because they already got it. guy i game with always on about how great it is has brought 4 different headsets within last year then sold them. its in its infancy still.

i would say high hz monitors do give a advantage. so look at that before diving in full footed VR.

It's not amazing, yet. Dirt Rally was excellent though as was Project cars. yep, still very much in its prime and the reason I sold both my DK1 and CV1 on. There are simpy not enough good VR games. I do fancy trying Alyx though, that does look fantastic

Associate
Re the wheel.

is it normal for it to feel resistance even when driving normally in a normal car on asphalt? I am getting feedback from the wheel where I wouldn't have expected any, i.e gentle turns.

Ive never driven a fast car on any track before, not sure how the steering is supposed to feel?
Have you checked in the Logitech control panel to adjust spring ratesand whatnot?

Soldato
OP
Have you checked in the Logitech control panel to adjust spring ratesand whatnot?

I was messing about with settings yesterday after doing some research on it. Ive used a LUT and have enabled FFBclip app. Also have set all the road, kerb etc effects to zero as per guides ive read.

Problem is im not sure how the FFB should feel in the first place.

I thinking the 'clonking' noises i was getting were possibly due to clipping so thats been pretty much eliminated now.

Back
Top Bottom