• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

really getting fed up with the posts stating RTX/DLSS does not work this gen

Soldato
So then where are all the DLSS 2.0 titles? What are they waiting for? Not even the previous games that do have DLSS got it.
Yeah, they officially released DLSS 2.0 two weeks ago and they only have two games supporting it. Just what are they waiting for? :rolleyes:

A lot of the 2000-series feature set turned out to be vapourware. Just view it as bleeding-edge beta-testing for the 3000-series GPU.

Soldato
So I was playing around with Control a bit to test out the new drivers.

Firstly the performance seems to be the same between dlss 1.9 and 2.0

Control is still incredibly demanding - even with DLSS rendering from 1440p to 4K, If I max out all the settings including turning on all 6 Ray Tracing options I only get 40fps with a 2080ti. Using the same settings if I disabled DLSS it drops to 20fps at native 4K.

as for image quality I play around it quite a bit going back and forth. Even with dlss rendering up from the 1080p it still looks fantastic and cleaner/clearer than native 4K/TAA.

Soldato
Yeah, they officially released DLSS 2.0 two weeks ago and they only have two games supporting it. Just what are they waiting for? :rolleyes:

A lot of the 2000-series feature set turned out to be vapourware. Just view it as bleeding-edge beta-testing for the 3000-series GPU.

good thing these cards at least gave faster performance boosts or we would have been in trouble aye. I guess if DLSS stays around 2 series cards will still do it on new games after the game series is released so the cards could age like fine wine

Soldato
I just don't hope that DLSS tech, no matter what name is has, turns into an excuse for devs not to optimize their rendering pipelines. I could easily see that happen sadly.

Soldato
If they are only after perfecting the process recently then it will be a while before games start to implement it. Especially with the situation in the world at the moment.

But I was told it was so easy now it basically implements itself! And last I checked software engineers can work from home. Btw, if you had followed the DLSS saga you'd know even studios who are just at the beginning only receive the attention of 1 or 2 Nvidia people to help with implementation of RTX + DLSS, and that was in the old days when DLSS was the walk-barefoot-in-snow-10-miles-every-day version. So it should be trivial now even in a lockdown scenario (or that's what I'm told).

You said it's gonna be so easy to implement I'll trip over DLSS 2.0 games. Is it not so easy anymore or what? How long are they gonna take per game? Why can't they update previous DLSS titles since they have working relationships with those studios already? I'm just asking some simple questions here. If it's so easy then why aren't we seeing or hearing anything?

Btw it hasn't been two weeks. It launched in JANUARY!

Associate
I play no games that currently support DLSS 1 or 2, anything that requires developer support for propriety tech is sketchy imho look at what’s happened to SLI & Crossfire for examples

Soldato
FXAA is a relic of another era, when hardware was much less powerful. It was created midway through the PS3/360 era as a way to tease out some more performance from those aging GPUs, then inevitably made its way to PC too. It was actually created by an Nvidia employee named Timothy Lottes, though was platform-agnostic. Developers loved it at the time as it had essentially zero performance impact, looked better than MLAA and was far more acceptable when most were gaming at sub-1080p anyway (especially on consoles), as the image was already fairly blurry. To be clear, even back then it was agreed that it looked worse than MSAA and created additional blur, but the trade-off was largely considered worth it for the massive performance gains. Games like Skyrim and Duke Nukem Forever were amongst the first to implement it, to give it its proper place in time. It's just no longer really necessary on modern hardware, and with more advanced performant anti-aliasing techniques such as SMAA and TAA available, but lingers around anyway because it's cheap and easy to implement.

Thanks for the history on why it was developed - seems useless for PC IMHO!

Soldato
But I was told it was so easy now it basically implements itself! And last I checked software engineers can work from home. Btw, if you had followed the DLSS saga you'd know even studios who are just at the beginning only receive the attention of 1 or 2 Nvidia people to help with implementation of RTX + DLSS, and that was in the old days when DLSS was the walk-barefoot-in-snow-10-miles-every-day version. So it should be trivial now even in a lockdown scenario (or that's what I'm told).

You said it's gonna be so easy to implement I'll trip over DLSS 2.0 games. Is it not so easy anymore or what? How long are they gonna take per game? Why can't they update previous DLSS titles since they have working relationships with those studios already? I'm just asking some simple questions here. If it's so easy then why aren't we seeing or hearing anything?

Btw it hasn't been two weeks. It launched in JANUARY!

That's a whole new level of pedantic nonsense. :rolleyes:

DLSS 2.0 only officially launched on the 23rd of March. Youngblood and Deliver Us to the Moon were two games used for live testing before launch.

They have only just started to roll it out to other developers and already it's in a couple of games and been put into the Unreal 4 engine.

While it is a hell of lot easier to implement than DLSS 1.0, it will still need developer input, it's a still a "per game" integration.

Soldato
That's a whole new level of pedantic nonsense. :rolleyes:

DLSS 2.0 only officially launched on the 23rd of March. Youngblood and Deliver Us to the Moon were two games used for live testing before launch.

Pedantic? That you follow up with saying the official support in a released game is "live testing"? LMAO that's some projection there bud! Gl to ya.

Soldato
Now you are just making stuff up. I said, according to Nvidia, it is as easy to implement as TAA - which many games support. I caveat it all with, "If that is, it really is as easy to add support as Nvidia are claiming".

DLSS 1.0 was very invasive and burdensome on developers. Devs are not going to take the time to unpick this code from their engines and implement the new DLSS on old games that no one is playing or buying. They have already moved on to their next project. Games have long development cycles. Switching engine versions at the later stages of the development cycle is not done lightly. I thought that would be obvious.

Pedantic? That you follow up with saying the official support in a released game is "live testing"? LMAO that's some projection there bud! Gl to ya.
Two preview titles and two further titles at official release. It's not that difficult to understand.

Soldato

:rolleyes: Call it what you like, Preview, Testing, Trial games whatever. It's the same difference. Only select developers had access before launch.

No matter how much you try to twist it, the fact still stands, It was only launched on the 23rd of March which was two weeks ago.

Soldato
LOL, upscaling from 128x72 is perhaps a step too far. But it makes a reasonable job from a 512x288 source and apparently starts to look pretty good at 960x540. It is some impressive voodoo.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Does it give you options as to what resolution you want to upscale from? If I ever did need to use it to get some extra performance due to RT then I would want to do it from 1440p, not 1080p if possible. Nice to have options.

Back
Top Bottom