Anyone else really missing driving right now? (Rant/moan)

Soldato
Filled it up three weeks ago, as was supposed to be going somewhere on the Tuesday. Total of 6.6 miles done since then, petrol station -> Supermarket -> Home. Then a couple of miles yesterday to give it a quick run to stop the 12v battery going flat and stop the tyres flat spotting. Was gonna get milk, then discovered the Co-Op closed half an hour before I got there. Oops.

Associate
OP
Yeah hard not to miss the sound of a 6 cylinder engine..

Oh I know how you feel. I need to to to get some milk tomorrow so I think I may get some fuel whilst I'm at it, may take the slightly longer route to the shops too. Sadly all the routes I can go, redlining the engine in first will still break the speed limit :(

Soldato
Drove to the supermarket last night, couldn't stand it any longer! Waited until 9pm so roads are extra dead, just did about 10 miles so the car actually gets some temperature and charge. Worth it I think, just to keep the car happy.

Soldato
The battery will probably be flat, especially if it has keyless entry/start. But probably not much more. After a few months you might get problems.

Man of Honour
Unless you've got a power drain or a battery that is basically dead anyway it should be fine.

When I first got my car I was only using it once a month or so and it was an 11 year old Astra with a battery not much younger than that and it was fine.

Soldato
The alarm on modern cars is quite a drain with the keyless crap. Some will only go a couple of weeks before needing a recharge, my gt86 was like that on the stock battery.

Soldato
I still drive the van to work every day. I must admit, the roads are like they should always be right now. It does actually take as long to get somewhere as you would expect and it doesnt take twice as long.

Soldato
The alarm on modern cars is quite a drain with the keyless crap. Some will only go 2 weeks before needing a recharge.

Your constant daft sweeping statements do make me laugh. Do you know how much electrical power is required for the low-powered RF systems to be kept alive? Bugger all.

Soldato
How much does an alarm pull on my M3 ? Not keyless ?

Acceptable parasitic drain should be in the tens of milliamps, which will allow the average battery life to be measured in months. Obviously there are other factors but still, car manufacturers have thought of this!

Soldato
Pretty sure the issues with the GT86 were caused by a poor battery rather than the keyless entry. I haven't experienced a flat battery after not being driven ever since I just bought a good quality aftermarket battery.

Back
Top Bottom