Cheap fun under 2/3k (mk1 Octavia VRS)

Associate
Hi all, since we're all in lock down I've been shopping around locally in my town for a potential project and temp daily. Quite a nice Octavia mk1 vrs has came up. Thinking it would be a prime opportunity to get into modifying and tinkering with cars. This seem like a good place to start? personal prefrence but really like the look of them. Any further recommendations for cars would also be helpful.

Thanks.

Associate
The 20v turbo is a pretty well known platform so I can't really see it going majorly wrong. Parts did seem cheaper on it than on my mk2 octavia vrs whenever I looked too. If that one turns out to be a bit crap have a look on Briskoda at the cars for sale there because some of them that pop up are in extremely good condition. It's also a good place to source used bits to modify :)

Associate
OP
The 20v turbo is a pretty well known platform so I can't really see it going majorly wrong. Parts did seem cheaper on it than on my mk2 octavia vrs whenever I looked too. If that one turns out to be a bit crap have a look on Briskoda at the cars for sale there because some of them that pop up are in extremely good condition. It's also a good place to source used bits to modify :)

Appreciate the advice, I was considering waiting for a 4x4 elegancy to get the awd then go from there as I've heard with a tune the engines are basically identical but it's a very local car, if I could get it for below 2k be happy as they come even if it was fwd. Ill take a look at that site now.

Associate
OP
I had one a few years ago, was a pretty decent car imo. Albeit a little bit dated inside, still had a tape deck. :p Also goes quite well and relatively easy to work on yourself.
From what I've seen the interior is nothing to shout about and I'm coming from E46 but it's in good condition so I'm happy. Occured to me I spend too much time looking at cars rather than actually working on and getting to know them, thought while I'm trapped at home now seemed to be the right time and it seemed like the car for the job. This one I think has a CD player luckily! haha.

Permabanned
Yeah I had a 6 CD changer in the boot. Retro!

I am fairly cack handed but I managed to change my suspension(fitted coilovers), change my brake pads and discs and fix all sorts of little things on mine. Fairly easy to work on and shares a lot of parts across the VAG range so easy to get bits for.

Associate
OP
Yeah I had a 6 CD changer in the boot. Retro!

I am fairly cack handed but I managed to change my suspension(fitted coilovers), change my brake pads and discs and fix all sorts of little things on mine. Fairly easy to work on and shares a lot of parts across the VAG range so easy to get bits for.
That's the plan! Try to do as much as I can really myself. Set myself in good stead for future cars really.

Soldato
I loved my one when I had it. Change of circumstances plus a fair few things needing doing on it in one go meant I couldn't really justify keeping it so I pretty much gave it away at auction :(

Rear ARB was the only handling mod I did and it was money well spent! Other than that I did a few cosmetic bits inside and out (nothing major) added a Piper stainless exhaust, Pipercross filter and had a Revo Stage 1 map done.

Here she is on the Ring for sentiments sake :p

Caporegime
Are sure the oil is the proper stuff, the sump should ideally need dropped too at some point to check the oil pickup hasn’t become clogged as this is fairly common with the 1.8T engine. Cam belt on time is an absolute necessity too and may even have needed doing twice at this age. They’re not the most amazing engines, I had one in a Leon Cupra 180 but they’re decent enough.

Associate
OP
Are sure the oil is the proper stuff, the sump should ideally need dropped too at some point to check the oil pickup hasn’t become clogged as this is fairly common with the 1.8T engine. Cam belt on time is an absolute necessity too and may even have needed doing twice at this age. They’re not the most amazing engines, I had one in a Leon Cupra 180 but they’re decent enough.
Main thing for me being they seemed a good starting platform due to the amount of parts avaliable, usually get cam belt done immedately unless its been recently sorted to be fair but 100% all questions for the previous owner. The vrs im looking at is at about 80k, 55 plate so one of the last of the line. Wants 2.5k but gonna aim for 2 or below. He's been dropping the price all month.

I loved my one when I had it. Change of circumstances plus a fair few things needing doing on it in one go meant I couldn't really justify keeping it so I pretty much gave it away at auction :(

Rear ARB was the only handling mod I did and it was money well spent! Other than that I did a few cosmetic bits inside and out (nothing major) added a Piper stainless exhaust, Pipercross filter and had a Revo Stage 1 map done.

Here she is on the Ring for sentiments sake :p
Looks a beauty! Something fantastic about the front end of these that I can never quite describe to family and friends. There's a Revo dealer in Carlise near me so I may have to pay a visit.

Soldato
I put together a buyer's guide for the Mk1, which was published in the March 2020 issue of Modern Classics. See if you can grab a copy of it somewhere, if you're interested, as it has lots of pointers in it (and some tuning advice). :)

Associate
OP
I put together a buyer's guide for the Mk1, which was published in the March 2020 issue of Modern Classics. See if you can grab a copy of it somewhere, if you're interested, as it has lots of pointers in it (and some tuning advice). :)
Absolutely excellent, I'll try take a look now.

Associate
not wanting to downplay the vrs (I have a mk3), but if you're after a "fun" car (per the title) for 2-3k then why not a mx5? A FAR more fun drivers car, instead of a big (in comparison) saloon.

Associate
OP
not wanting to downplay the vrs (I have a mk3), but if you're after a "fun" car (per the title) for 2-3k then why not a mx5? A FAR more fun drivers car, instead of a big (in comparison) saloon.
See I've looked into MX5's but I guess the issue lies in, for a period, this will also have to be my daily driver (Then again, daily driving being a thing of the past right now). I know there's all sorts of ways to extract more power etc out of the MX5 and it has crossed my mind I must admit but with also being a young driver, the insurance cost will massively outweight any performance I can add with modifications.

Soldato
See I've looked into MX5's but I guess the issue lies in, for a period, this will also have to be my daily driver (Then again, daily driving being a thing of the past right now). I know there's all sorts of ways to extract more power etc out of the MX5 and it has crossed my mind I must admit but with also being a young driver, the insurance cost will massively outweight any performance I can add with modifications.
Funnily enough my next car after my mk1 vRS was a mk1 MX5. In terms of pure driving enjoyment the MX5 wins hands down. I then ended up running the MX5 as a daily covering just under 70 miles a day and it really sucked the fun out of it, that was where the versatility of the vRS really hit home.

I've already mentioned the rear ARB and I can't stress enough just how much that bit of steel bar changed the handling. That vague understeer wasn't removed completely but it did significantly shift the balance of the car towards being more neutral, and I wasn't even using the firmest setting.

Power wise it is difficult to compare the two as I'd had the remap on for quite some time prior to getting the MX5 but in pure power to weight terms they are both around the 130 BHP/TON mark when stock. Obviously that is delivered in a very different way but driven as the torque curve dictates they aren't a million miles apart, one just requires its neck wringing a bit more :D

Associate
OP
Funnily enough my next car after my mk1 vRS was a mk1 MX5. In terms of pure driving enjoyment the MX5 wins hands down. I then ended up running the MX5 as a daily covering just under 70 miles a day and it really sucked the fun out of it, that was where the versatility of the vRS really hit home.

I've already mentioned the rear ARB and I can't stress enough just how much that bit of steel bar changed the handling. That vague understeer wasn't removed completely but it did significantly shift the balance of the car towards being more neutral, and I wasn't even using the firmest setting.

Power wise it is difficult to compare the two as I'd had the remap on for quite some time prior to getting the MX5 but in pure power to weight terms they are both around the 130 BHP/TON mark when stock. Obviously that is delivered in a very different way but driven as the torque curve dictates they aren't a million miles apart, one just requires its neck wringing a bit more :D

They're both good contenders really but I'm coming from a convertible 3 series, just be nice to be rid of soft top hassle really. Also the ability to fit more things and people in my car. I'd actually love an estate but seem harder to come by. Just something beautiful about knowing you could burn off someone in a new low end beamer they're paying out their arse for on tick, but also fit a grandfather clock in the boot if need be :D.

Associate
See I've looked into MX5's but I guess the issue lies in, for a period, this will also have to be my daily driver (Then again, daily driving being a thing of the past right now).
A "daily driver" is such a vague term. I used my MX5 for a couple years as a "daily driver" and it was ace - really miss that car. Ironically the commute is probably better in the MX5, as you don't need more than 2 seats. It was the weekends that got annoying, as I couldn't get a mountain bike in the car, so eventually swapped it for a M135i. If you don't need rear seats then honestly the MX5 is a better car than a VRS - especially if you're young and pre kid(s)...
I know there's all sorts of ways to extract more power etc out of the MX5 and it has crossed my mind I must admit but with also being a young driver, the insurance cost will massively outweight any performance I can add with modifications.
Check modified car insurance - chances a MX5 might not be much different to a VRS, especially when mods come into play...
They're both good contenders really but I'm coming from a convertible 3 series, just be nice to be rid of soft top hassle really. Also the ability to fit more things and people in my car. I'd actually love an estate but seem harder to come by. Just something beautiful about knowing you could burn off someone in a new low end beamer they're paying out their arse for on tick, but also fit a grandfather clock in the boot if need be :D.
The VRS isn't the sports car you're making it out as. it's a great car, as a compromise... it's a jack of all, master of none. it's moderately quick while also having a decent amount of space for practicality - if you don't need the space, then honestly look elsewhere if "fun for £2-3k" is the primary goal. Pretty much any modern hot-hatch will be quicker and more fun if you need 4 seats, a MX5/MR2 would be quicker and more fun if you don't need rear seats (or want to carry much luggage) - the VRS's party piece is the vast boot/space, while being moderately quick.

Why do you think it will "burn off" a low end beamer - the mk1 VRS 0-60 is what, 7.7s and a 320d (typical sales rep car and hardly high-end) is what 7.3. So, you're not going to be "burning off" many modern cars... (and with the way so many people drive PCP cars, many modern cars will probably be as quick as a mk1 VRS by now)

I'm not wanting/trying to be negative, I'm just a little lost what your priorities are. 1 post says you'd love an estate but then an earlier post says you've looked into MX5s. They're obviously the opposite end of the spectrum, so I'm confused. It almost feels like you want a VRS and are trying to find reason to justify it - if so, then cool, go with what you like.

Associate
OP
A "daily driver" is such a vague term. I used my MX5 for a couple years as a "daily driver" and it was ace - really miss that car. Ironically the commute is probably better in the MX5, as you don't need more than 2 seats. It was the weekends that got annoying, as I couldn't get a mountain bike in the car, so eventually swapped it for a M135i. If you don't need rear seats then honestly the MX5 is a better car than a VRS - especially if you're young and pre kid(s)...Check modified car insurance - chances a MX5 might not be much different to a VRS, especially when mods come into play...The VRS isn't the sports car you're making it out as. it's a great car, as a compromise... it's a jack of all, master of none. it's moderately quick while also having a decent amount of space for practicality - if you don't need the space, then honestly look elsewhere if "fun for £2-3k" is the primary goal. Pretty much any modern hot-hatch will be quicker and more fun if you need 4 seats, a MX5/MR2 would be quicker and more fun if you don't need rear seats (or want to carry much luggage) - the VRS's party piece is the vast boot/space, while being moderately quick.

Why do you think it will "burn off" a low end beamer - the mk1 VRS 0-60 is what, 7.7s and a 320d (typical sales rep car and hardly high-end) is what 7.3. So, you're not going to be "burning off" many modern cars... (and with the way so many people drive PCP cars, many modern cars will probably be as quick as a mk1 VRS by now)

I'm not wanting/trying to be negative, I'm just a little lost what your priorities are. 1 post says you'd love an estate but then an earlier post says you've looked into MX5s. They're obviously the opposite end of the spectrum, so I'm confused. It almost feels like you want a VRS and are trying to find reason to justify it - if so, then cool, go with what you like.

Well I'd look at mx5's under the content of get one along side a cheap practical car but was a fleeting moment of excitment rather than really a direction. I do a lot of walking/generally fitting more than just me in a car at one time, as well as boat towing and looking after a field of bloody horses. It'd be nice to have something I can have fun with while being practical, i.e the big boot. Realistically I was looking for suggestions of a similar genre, big with some speed. I've been searching about VRS just seem to be the most consistent in terms of haven't been ragged to high hell like most of the a4's I'd seen in the b5/b6 range of 1.8 turbos.
Also from what results I've seen from REVO and other tuning places, with some time and tinkering (which is the reason I want to buy it) you'd easily fly off someone in a pcp diesel they'll be paying 3/4 their wage packet for at 19. Just find it quite beautiful.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
And herein lies the rub. Big power and speed doesn't always result in "fun" and "smiles". From what I've seen, as mainstream cars have got more powerful, they've also got a lot more capable, meaning that they can hit big speeds and do it fairly easily. The result being that to get real excitement from a genuinely fast car, you're typically talking about breaking the speed limit and potentially by a fair margin.
So for example, I now drive our E90 330i in "smooth" mode and find that very rewarding. It's generally sat in cruise control. Can't remember the last time I was involved in a traffic light gp. Just pointless, and gives no mechanical sympathy to your car.

My MX5 (also used as a daily commuter) is where the real smiles are, and it's quite easy to get them at sensible speeds.

Back
Top Bottom