So my boiler is dead - Spec me a new one

Soldato
Great timing as always, my boiler developed a minor leak then flagged up an error message meaning two seperate faults. The short version is I've had a couple of heating engineers/plumbers (including one from Worchester) and the verdict is.... Expensive job (£700) on a fairly old boiler it might be better to consider a new one given its age. The boiler is approx 13 years old and it has been fairly trouble free in the time we lived here (6 years).

It is currently in the loft and I don't like the idea of a more major leak caving my newly plastered celing so i'm planning to move it to the understairs. The engineer from Worchester today seemed to think there would be enough room but I don't want to lose too much space so a compact boiler would be best.

Looking at the Worchester models on Boxt (getting a rough price) the flow rate seems to be the main difference, they all appear to be 24kw.

Should I be concerned about the flow rate or only if I want a more powerful shower? Any brands to look at/avoid - I was thinking about sticking with Worchester because they get good reviews.

House is a fairly standard 3 bed 30's Semi, but we were meant to be building a single story kitchen extension this year (open plan with the existing dining room).

Soldato
How many bathrooms and showers powered from the boiler do you have?

The boiler may have been put in the loft for a reason, and to be honest it's a very good place for a boiler.

Soldato
OP
3 bed and 1 bathroom/shower.

I think it may have been put in the loft because there is no other space e.g no airing cupboard. On the ground or first floor. The under stairs was also a pantry when we moved in which would have ruled out that space too.

Soldato
If you can get a full size boiler in the space, then go for that. Compact models tend not to be as reliable. Whichever you go for, make sure it's fitted by someone who is registered (obviously) but also an accredited installer with the manufacturer, and you tick whatever boxes are needed to get a nice long warranty. :)

Soldato
Or leave the boiler in the loft, get one of Worcesters higher grade models (lifestyle off top of my head) that have an automatic filling system (£50 option) . This can be set to warn you when the water level drops (leak) and can be set to fill itself.

I see a lot of boilers in lofts that have storage containers (plastic boxes) tucked under them just in case of leaks, once bitten and all that :D

Soldato
I had a glow worm combi fully installed for a total cost of £1600 a year ago. I know it's not one of the revered brands but it's been fantastic so far.

It replaced a 16 year old raven heat combi which needed £450 repair bill. Combi's don't generally last much longer than that, so better to put the money towards a new one.

Back
Top Bottom