Type R and VTEC owners

OcUK Staff
COG are good but very expensive! Bushes is a lot of labour intensive work, may be better using a known local garage for that then take it to Chris afterwards to set up the geo.

I guess, as I’ve not done this on one of these before what bushes do I need to replace on the basis of saying everything is seized so old ones need cutting out and any recommended actions for garages in midlands / northwest who have experience with S2000 ?

Man of Honour
OP
I guess, as I’ve not done this on one of these before what bushes do I need to replace on the basis of saying everything is seized so old ones need cutting out and any recommended actions for garages in midlands / northwest who have experience with S2000 ?
Sorry I can’t remember which ones they are. I think there’s a massive thread on the subject on the S2000 forum.

I think maybe Area motorsport aren’t too far from you?

OcUK Staff
Koni yellows are decent if you want to spend less. Mine was a weapon on poly bushes and konis. Wheels in motion set it up.

Just want to avoid cheap rubbish like BC, HSD etc that tend to make popping/clunking noises because cheap and I would like to maintain the ride quality, I don't mind a tad firmer because better damping makes up for that, did you find the Koni ride quality OK, did the poly bushes make the car harsher?

Caporegime
Ride was better than stock. I went from the silver one after the engine went bang and back to a blue stock one. Standard is quite choppy.

Soldato
S2000s are pretty sensitive to geometry as well as tyres. A full suspension overhaul with stock parts front and rear (seized bushes) was quoted at around £1800 at COG when I had mine.

I didn’t find my one unstable at high speeds and it didn’t really aquaplane until the geo was out. The handling difference between the winter tyres and the summer Bridgestones was night and day.

As long as I remain in the Midlands I’ll be taking my sports cars to COG for suspension work. Overkill for a family hack, but for the pride and joy I think the level of service and attention to detail is well worth the price premium.

There'll always be a soft spot for S2000’s for me. Especially in moonrock :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds good doesn't it, great engine the K24 I did enjoy that car.

I haven't done mine on the Civic yet, had a go but got as far as removing the rubber elbow, realised all my tools are in the loft when I realised I needed to remove the battery and then lack of bothered kicked in. I'll do it at some point.

I tried the wheel arch method first but I have no idea how you got that bulky thing out from that small gap, so I went the whole bumper off route (It was more fun to do since i've never taken a bumper off a car before)

At first when I blipped the throttle I was a little disappointed, How little did I know when I pinned it down to the neutral limiter, my god its loud, made my dad jump out his skin haha.

I like that it still sounds stock when driving normally cause i'm not sure if I could put up with it droning or anything at 3k rpm, But as soon as you pin that throttle down to the floor its like a new car I couldn't stop giggling like a little girl.

One thing that does disappoint me a little, I was hoping the vtec crossover would be more noticeable but alas its still quite subtle, there's something there but unless you're actually listening for it you wouldn't know, Guess that's the characteristic of the K24Z3

I've heard people using silcone piping to join the airbox pipe to the pipe the resonator connects to, think its work doing?

Soldato
I tried the wheel arch method first but I have no idea how you got that bulky thing out from that small gap, so I went the whole bumper off route (It was more fun to do since i've never taken a bumper off a car before)
Guess that's the characteristic of the K24Z3

I've heard people using silcone piping to join the airbox pipe to the pipe the resonator connects to, think its work doing?

I cant remember exactly how I did it, I think I might have removed enough of the passenger side bumper to bend it out just enough to get the main part out

Yeah there is no crossover to be heard unfortunately its smoothed out completely, I remember reading about all sorts of things you can do mostly on an Acura american forum I think it was but I cant remember the name of it now, if you can find it and it still exists there is loads of stuff on there. K20 head swaps were really popular and there is some kind of map you can do for more power but again I can barely remember, thinking about it, it was nearly 10 years ago now

Yeah I had a cold air feed fitted eventually but it was with some kind of ducting, Grin Speed did it for me so I cant give you anymore detail than that, also added a K&N panel filter

Soldato
Make sense will do that at some point. :)

The fix used to be using the hard top fixing kit - I believe the anchor points were a slightly different size so it gave a better fit.

Others have said use COG. I used them and WIM when I had my S2000. COG is great - but as you know when you had the Mustang - you pay for it.

OcUK Staff
The fix used to be using the hard top fixing kit - I believe the anchor points were a slightly different size so it gave a better fit.

Others have said use COG. I used them and WIM when I had my S2000. COG is great - but as you know when you had the Mustang - you pay for it.

Indeed I shall weigh my options up I never mind paying a bit extra when you know it’s done right and by a perfectionist which Chris is but at same time if I don’t need to spend money then I may as well not was it as car only has just shy of 50k miles and the bushes might be fine so maybe only worth changing the ones for adjusting alignment.

I know many of my issues at moment might be down to tyres but I would like more steering feel from the car without ride quality sacrifice.

Ive read stuff mentioned about hard/solid steering rack bushes and also read about people changing the compliance bush to a mugen which is like OEM or even a spherical bearing like from Ballade or use a middle house like Powerflex option, any thoughts on these or as the key word is compliance is the original rubber style the best? Would just like more feel and sharper front end and if that’s possible without the car getting harsh or a load of unwanted vibration would be nice.

Caporegime
Mugen compliance only. Then the rest poly. I didn’t do ARB mount or wishbone bushes. Not much benefit and much more NVH issues.

yours might be ok but it’s not kilage. It’s just age and how much water has got into the bush inner and adjuster interface. In 2012 my 1999 s2000 cost about £1200 in just labour for the bushes as every single one was seized solid. This cost did include new bolts/adjusters which are ridiculous price from Honda. I think an eccentric boot for the front arm bush is £20 I’d fitted the suspension myself too.

To be honest if they can adjust it now into Honda spec then I wouldn’t bother.

Back
Top Bottom