Football and the Coronavirus

Caporegime
As with the £77 ticket, Liverpool have changed their mind about using government money to furlough staff. It's good that they're big enough to admit when they've made a mistake but it would be great if they stopped making these stupid and unnecessary mistakes.
Going to quote someone from Twitter but 'Peter Moore would turn off your life support if it meant he could charge his phone'.

Fantastic businessmen but just like EA he'll turn us in to one of the most hated brands in the country. Money > *

Don
I don't believe Peter Moore would have been the key decision maker here and certainly wasn't for the ticket price fiasco before (he wasn't at the club then). In fact I think Moore was brought in more for his PR to cover up the decisions made by Mike Gordon, Henry and Werner.

Don
Not sure how I've only just seen these quotes from UEFA's president:

If the Premier League resumes play, Liverpool will almost certainly win the title. Theoretically it’s not all over but practically Liverpool are on the verge of it.

If by any chance the play will not resume, we still have to find a way to declare final results, to declare champions. And, again, I cannot imagine a scenario in which the champions will not be Liverpool.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ksander-ceferin-cannot-imagine-liverpool-not/

Obviously the Liverpool part is the most important but the line about finding a way to declare final results pretty much confirms the reports that UEFA are very much against Leagues being voided.

Caporegime
Not sure how I've only just seen these quotes from UEFA's president:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ksander-ceferin-cannot-imagine-liverpool-not/

Obviously the Liverpool part is the most important but the line about finding a way to declare final results pretty much confirms the reports that UEFA are very much against Leagues being voided.
So Liverpool win the title, when they have not mathematically won it, yet teams like us, spurs, sheff Utd etc are out of the champions league despite not being mathematically out of it. Hardly seems fair.

Don
So Liverpool win the title, when they have not mathematically won it, yet teams like us, spurs, sheff Utd etc are out of the champions league despite not being mathematically out of it. Hardly seems fair.
Nothing other than completing the season is fair rob. If that cannot happen then you have to find the next fairest solution. It might not be as simple as the current standings (even applying ppg to level games played up), they could play play-offs for key positions if it's possible but the indication from UEFA is they want Leagues settled one way or another.

Caporegime
Nothing other than completing the season is fair rob. If that cannot happen then you have to find the next fairest solution. It might not be as simple as the current standings (even applying ppg to level games played up), they could play play-offs for key positions if it's possible but the indication from UEFA is they want Leagues settled one way or another.
All I’m saying is that if Liverpool can be awarded the title without mathematically winning it, then other teams should be given a fair crack of the whip at their goals.

Don
All I’m saying is that if Liverpool can be awarded the title without mathematically winning it, then other teams should be given a fair crack of the whip at their goals.
Rob what you're saying makes no sense. The only way this situation is going to come about is if they cannot complete the season therefore it's not possible for other teams to "be given a fair crack of the whip at their goals".

Caporegime
Rob what you're saying makes no sense. The only way this situation is going to come about is if they cannot complete the season therefore it's not possible for other teams to "be given a fair crack of the whip at their goals".
And therefore Liverpool should not be awarded the title when another team can still win it.

The whole thing should be null and void.

Don
And therefore Liverpool should not be awarded the title when another team can still win it.

The whole thing should be null and void.
Unfortunately for you that won't happen but can you explain why that would be fairer. Put Liverpool to the side because there will be no tangible difference beyond a trophy whether the season is voided or not but we will still need to decide on teams that will go into the CL and EL next season, although UEFA are threatening to kick sides out if they don't settle the league. Do you believe it would be fairer if Spurs qualified instead of Leicester for next season's CL and can you explain why.

Soldato
It's all pointing to a null and voided season as the best approach really :(.

You can't just leave it as it stands because there's many other teams playing for high stakes, relegation, Europe spots etc.

Yea it sucks if it was voided but less sucky then leaving the table as it stands.

Don
Yes, FIFA announcing plans that clears the path for Leagues to be finished beyond the 30th June, PL clubs standing to lose in excess of £1bn if the season isn't finished, the FA talking up the propsect of huge numbers of EFL clubs going under, UEFA stating that the final standings need to be settled if for some reason Leagues cannot be completed and warning Leagues that ending their season could result in no European places next season points towards null and void being the best approach.

Associate
Abandoning this season will cost clubs a lot of money. Not completing a full fixture list for next season will send many more clubs under. Smaller clubs will simply not survive unless the can complete a full fixture list next year.

I am not sure how it can be done, squeezing this year and next year into possibly 9 months when this all clears up. Whatever they do now some clubs will get hurt, and for sure some clubs will go under. I don't personally care who wins the league and who qualifies for Europe, I care more about what is best for all the clubs and not just the big boys of Europe. And I support Man Utd.

Man of Honour
OP
Whatever happens I hope we have a lot more football, more often. And no international football, nobody cares about that.

Back
Top Bottom