*** The official 2019 MacBook Pro thread (it has eight cores and everything!) ***

Soldato
I've just caught up on the butterfly keyboard thing, seems a happy coincidence to have missed that :D

So after quite a long upload of my old Mac to new and a swift read through about the new OS, and why quite a bit of my steam library is blocked off, I am up and running.

I'm completely blown away! Everything is just that noticeable amount better, screen, keyboard, power, all so much more than a 2012 retina 15 inch. The Touch Bar gives me predictive typing, the speakers are genuinely good (not a patch on the hi fi but still impressive). It's going to be a long weekend of playing games out in the garden

/ramble over

This thing is genuinely impressive :cool:

Soldato
My company are replacing my end of life (IT support wise) 13 inch 2015 Macbook Pro with one of these which is nice of them. My only worry is the lack of ports, I use HDMI, SD cards on the odd occasion for things like my Raspberry Pis and also want a USB A port for pen drives and other peripherals. Can anyone recommend a decent USB C adapter?

Soldato

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
What have been people’s experiences with the Macbook 16 in terms of fans being noisy doing office tasks and how has the ghosting been ?

Soldato
What have been people’s experiences with the Macbook 16 in terms of fans being noisy doing office tasks and how has the ghosting been ?

We have a few at the office. They're pretty good. You never hear a sound with the normal office stuff (including huge spreadsheets).

Soldato

Honestly, no fan noise in office tasks, only when Civ6 kicks off... Ghosting has also been zero, I remember my original retina 15" mbp doing that after a few years but it's not a thing on this one at the moment.

3 months in, it's still amazing (little gutted by the John news discount but that's the way the cookie crumbles)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
My company are replacing my end of life (IT support wise) 13 inch 2015 Macbook Pro with one of these which is nice of them. My only worry is the lack of ports, I use HDMI, SD cards on the odd occasion for things like my Raspberry Pis and also want a USB A port for pen drives and other peripherals. Can anyone recommend a decent USB C adapter?
For my daughters MBP 13 I got her a UGreen 6 in 1 USBC adapter. Works fine. Several USBA ports, HDMI and sdcard slot. Her charger plugs in one end and the other end plugs I to a USBC port. Very cheap too.

Man of Honour
For my daughters MBP 13 I got her a UGreen 6 in 1 USBC adapter. Works fine. Several USBA ports, HDMI and sdcard slot. Her charger plugs in one end and the other end plugs I to a USBC port. Very cheap too.
Looks like the HDMI is only 30 hz which would be awful.

Man of Honour
Interesting. I hadn't seen that and haven't yet used a monitor on it. Good spot. I might have to get her a new one.
It's normally the case with the cheaper ones. I have a Dell DA300 which I get through work, granted it's a little bit more expensive but it also does 4k @ 60 hz.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I bought the new 16" MBP with 2.4 i9, 32GB RAM and 5600m GPU. Wow, what a machine like. Very, very happy with it.

The price of that with the 5600m, over £3k?

edit:
Nope, not even close. £4.5k with AppleCare :eek: you must be doing some serious professional work on the road.

Last edited:
Associate
I paid £3.8k for mine in silver same spec as his. Coming from a 2014 13inch base, this new one is amazing! can really see the speed difference.

Associate
The price of that with the 5600m, over £3k?

edit:
Nope, not even close. £4.5k with AppleCare :eek: you must be doing some serious professional work on the road.
Nah just like to play Football Manager in bed ;)

In all honesty, is overkill for what I use it for. I had a base 2013 Macbook Air prior to this and it still did the job. The 5600m was what I really want it for as it can actually be used fro gaming now. I have not tried bootcamp yet but loading up Steam and a couple of decent 3D games such as Tomb Raider etc. it is mighty impressive.

Back
Top Bottom