Looking at buying an ipad for the first time - how much storage will I realistically need?

Soldato
We are thinking about getting an ipad air (partly so our kids can stay in touch with their friends independently of us).

The air comes with either 64 or 256gb of storage.

As Ive said, we have never owned one before, so I am wondering how much we realistically need - particularly in terms of space for apps. This would be a family ipad, so everyone may want to install a few apps (including games) of their own on it. We will also probably get the keyboard, so will install things like office on it.

I have seen that their are external storage options like the Sandisk Ixpand flash drives, but am I right in thinking that is only for media? So you you need to get the space for apps right at the start.

Soldato
You'll only need the larger capacity if you're planning on storing media on it. My 64GB iPad Air 2 still has 20GB free with about 18GB off apps and 14GB of music. Any films I watch are streamed so don't take up any space.

Soldato
64gb is enough, though if you put loads of photos, movies etc on it, be prepared to do some pruning in future. I doubt you'll have an issue with 64gb and the increased storage options are eye-wateringly overpriced.

Soldato
If you have two children, I'd seriously consider a couple of 32gb 2018 ipads instead of a 256gb Air. It'll save on arguments.

Trouble is, the 2018s aren't in stock as far as I can see, leaving you waiting for Apple to release some refurbs (which will be basically a new product).

Soldato
OP
If you have two children, I'd seriously consider a couple of 32gb 2018 ipads instead of a 256gb Air. It'll save on arguments.

Trouble is, the 2018s aren't in stock as far as I can see, leaving you waiting for Apple to release some refurbs (which will be basically a new product).

Thank you for suggesting the refurbs, are they as good as new, it says that they have new battery and outershell - I assume that means new glass etc? What is the benefit of buying new? Is the warranty longer?

Soldato
Apple refurbished are actual refurbished products, rather than being treated to a quick wipe down with a cloth. I would also assume new glass and I think the warranty is 12 months like a new product.

It may be that you can pick up a new 2018 model somewhere if you shop around but I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy an apple refurbished except for the fact that they're so closely priced to actual new that in my head i might as well have new. Obviously that doesn't work too well when the product is no longer available.

Back
Top Bottom