**** Official OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro Thread ****

Associate
Was waiting for this and the new sony mark2 now looks like price will not be a factor seperating the 2. Hopeing sony have improved the camera software as I can sometimes get excellent results with my ZX3 but other times it sucks. Normally low light conditions it can not handle well.

Soldato
  • OnePlus 8 w/ 8GB RAM, 128GB storage: €719/729
  • OnePlus 8 w/ 12GB RAM, 256GB storage: €819/829
  • OnePlus 8 Pro w/ 8GB RAM, 128GB storage: €919/929
  • OnePlus 8 Pro w/ 12GB RAM, 256GB storage: €1,009/1019
Surely this has to be a joke.

DOA if they think the bulk of their customers would bite at these prices.

The only saving grace would be if the Camera is on point.

Soldato
  • OnePlus 8 w/ 8GB RAM, 128GB storage: €719/729
  • OnePlus 8 w/ 12GB RAM, 256GB storage: €819/829
  • OnePlus 8 Pro w/ 8GB RAM, 128GB storage: €919/929
  • OnePlus 8 Pro w/ 12GB RAM, 256GB storage: €1,009/1019

*IF* those prices end up being accurate then my Oneplus 7 Pro will be my last Oneplus phone. I'll just leave it until next year and pick up a decent Nokia or Motorola instead.

Soldato
Is 128gb still not enough in this day and age of cloud storage? I have 256gb (since that's the only flavour the 7T Pro comes in) and I have used something like 50gb. I travelled to the US in January and loaded it with everything I could think of for the flight etc and still had close to 90gb free.

I fully admit about 5 years ago I would have struggled without SD card expansion but back then I had all my music locally on my phone and a few movies. But since everything is streamed now I just can't see what all the space is needed for these days.

I see your point and I'm slowly coming round to the whole cloud storage idea but there is just something I don't like about taking a photo or video in a particular resolution and then having to accept that Google will only upload at a lower standard for free!

And yes, I know I could pay for upgraded storage and yes I know I probably wouldn't even be able to tell the difference in most cases....but still! :D

Associate
That's disappointing pricing. I still really like my 6T, probably the best phone I ever owned, with the camera being the only disappointing aspect. I had intended to try and wait for a OnePlus 9 this time next year but the usb connector is starting to play up, it takes a really hard push and a bit of playing the cable up and down to get it to charge (tried a new cable but no difference).
I had hoped there'd be some news on Lite/Z and I'd have considered going with that rather than fix the 6t....

Not sure what to do.. Pixel 5 sounds underpowered albeit fast updates and camera are attractive. I've never owned an iPhone but maybe that's an option (never thought I'd say that, always been Android all the way...)

Associate
That's disappointing pricing. I still really like my 6T, probably the best phone I ever owned, with the camera being the only disappointing aspect. I had intended to try and wait for a OnePlus 9 this time next year but the usb connector is starting to play up, it takes a really hard push and a bit of playing the cable up and down to get it to charge (tried a new cable but no difference).
I had hoped there'd be some news on Lite/Z and I'd have considered going with that rather than fix the 6t....

Not sure what to do.. Pixel 5 sounds underpowered albeit fast updates and camera are attractive. I've never owned an iPhone but maybe that's an option (never thought I'd say that, always been Android all the way...)
You could just get a 7T, it's universally acclaimed and will probably get cheaper very soon.

Soldato
Those prices have made things interesting for me though. Obviously I would have liked cheap prices, who wouldn't?

I was intending to spend £750 on a Note10+ 5G, so mentally over that hill (resale is least of my concerns, as if it's good I'll run it for 3 years). However, I need to know it's the best I can get for that money, while giving me as close to the clean Android experience as possible.

Associate
You could just get a 7T, it's universally acclaimed and will probably get cheaper very soon.

Yes, agreed. I guess it just felt like not much of an upgrade when I'd planned to go hangfire for the 9. Either that or just get the charging port fixed (I can't believe it'll go another year without stopping working in this state. )

Caporegime
A look at their previous prices....

OnePlus One - April 2014 - $299
OnePlus Two - July 2015 - $329
OnePlus X - October 2015 - $249
OnePlus Three - 2016 - $389
OnePlus 3T - 6 months after the 3 - $429
OnePlus 5 - June 2017 - $479
OnePlus 5T - November 2017 - $499
OnePlus 6 - May 2018 - $529
OnePlus 6T - November 2018 - $549
OnePlus 7 Pro - May 2019 - $669
OnePlus 7 - May 2019 - $500 (selected markets)
OnePlus 7T - September 2019 - $599
OnePlus 7T Pro - October 2019 - $860

Soldato
I don't think business is that simple.

I doubt it takes a month to change the release price of a phone. Not that I think OP would do so anyway - this is part of a longer term strategy to match the $500+ margins of Apple and Samsung. I personally don't think OP have the name to match their ambitions, nor do their products distinguish themselves from the Android opposition.

Soldato
If they are to charge those prices they would need to improve the camera, implement wireless charging and get ip68 certification. Personally I don't care for those three things so I'm perfectly happy with my 7T Pro and the price I paid for it. But objectively speaking those are the headline features they need if they want to at least compete with the big boys. The screen is already manufactured by Samsung so that's a non-issue.

Soldato
If they are to charge those prices they would need to improve the camera, implement wireless charging and get ip68 certification.

This is the propaganda and it's being put about enough that people are starting to believe it - that all these minor additions justify a 20-25pc increase in sale price. Remember that the BoM cost for an iPhone and the S20 Ultra are both below $500. Also I bet that Samsung and Apple have ten times as many staff dedicated to camera design and improvement as OnePlus.

Edit - in addition, Samsung at least try to make Android their own, while OP just add a few bits and pieces to the base product. While Apple design their own SoC and iOS is their own creation.

Soldato
I think all these price hikes to around the one thousand mark are to make their product appear premium and after a few months prices will come back down to more acceptable levels. Android phones always drop in price shortly after they are released and I don't see this changing this year.

Soldato
Android phones always drop in price shortly after they are released and I don't see this changing this year.

OP don't do much in the way of reductions, so if the past is any indicator, the £1000 8 Pro will stay there or thereabouts until the 8T Pro is a couple of months away.

Contrast to the S20s which could be had with significant reductions (via cashback) even during the preorder period.

Soldato
Maybe when they realise at this current time there isn't the same appetite for top of the range smart phones they may hopefully lower their prices.

Back
Top Bottom