When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I'd though once charging was 'complete' it became disengaged, and there was a question of etiquette how much time folks waited, before appropriating it - reddit article I'd read.

The surge pricing on octopus is quite large ... most people (eating from scratch) are using an electric oven for evening cooking, even if you have a gas hob, it can take the edge off of a better overnight rate.

saw my first e-tron in the flesh - they look quite svelte/aero compared to an x5, which I though it was going to match in size, and rear window size/light good too.

Soldato
"Misinformed", but then immediately contradict yourself. Yes it will break if you pull it hard enough or kick it, or hit it with a hammer. It isn't a load bearing part, it's a plastic plug.

Unplugging them all late in the evening would be pretty funny. But I guess that kind of humour isn't to everyone's taste :p

How is that a contradiction? I'm normally pretty relaxed here but jesus you're a test. I'd have just set you to ignore if it wasn't for the relentless need to correct your absolute nonsense for other forum users.

Anything will break if you hit it hard enough with a hammer. And you can't unplug them.

Seriously, why do you even post in this thread...

Soldato
I'd though once charging was 'complete' it became disengaged, and there was a question of etiquette how much time folks waited, before appropriating it - reddit article I'd read.

Not the case for Tesla's, like I said can't speak for other makes and models.

Of course there's etiquette still for leaving a car plugged in once finished, and many public chargers have overstay fees, Tesla Superchargers included.

Soldato
Not the case for Tesla's, like I said can't speak for other makes and models.

you sure ? , from my history https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotor...p_please_type_2_charging_cable_theft_but_how/
Contacted Tesla. They say it’s the third one this week that’s been stolen from that street!

It’s impossible to disconnect the car while the thing supplying the power is active. This means that someone is able to override the charge points, maybe by resetting them or tripping them out.

Once the charge point stops supplying the car with power, the car then releases the cable.

Soldato
If you read that whole thread, jpaul, you'll see there was more to it than just the cable unlocking after charging in that instance. Unfortunately the thread is 2 years old and didn't really reach a conclusion.

On Teslas and most other EVs the cable does not unlock when the charging is complete. You need to release it using you car keys, app, button/function inside the car. Teslas also have a wonderful feature called Sentry mode which can help catch anything nefarious. Including attempted cable theft or damage.

Soldato
Both the Leaf and the Zoe have a setting to allow you to choose how the Type 2 AC charger behaves. I can't remember what the options are for the Zoe, but the Leaf has unlocked, unlocked when charge ends, and locked. I just use the last of those all the time. The key fob has a button for unlocking the charger, and there's another on the dashboard. I assumed most, if not all cars had these settings? Unlock when charge ends could be useful if you have two EVs and a tethered home charger. Not sure I'd use it with an untethered cable, as there's a chance it'll be nicked.

DC (rapid) chargers are different. I'm not sure how CCS behaves, but CHADEMO (the one the Leaf uses) unlocks when the charge session ends. But those chargers have their own cable, so there's nothing to worry about with people nicking the cable there.

Soldato
I'm a bit surprised that public chargers in the UK don't use tethered cables - I know we use Type 1 in the US but all the public charge points are tethered.
That would reduce the number of cars that can use them. Different cars require different cables. Hence why most the rapid chargers have a number of different outlets.

Soldato
Level 1 isn’t a rapid, his refering to AC public chargers. Here there is a mix depending on the charger and it’s location but I think it’s fair to say most are untethered. Pretty much all cars except early leafs use the same cable too.

Soldato
Level 1 isn’t a rapid, his refering to AC public chargers. Here there is a mix depending on the charger and it’s location but I think it’s fair to say most are untethered. Pretty much all cars except early leafs use the same cable too.
There are a lot of early leafs.

The main answer is, it's cheaper. Cheaper to install and cheaper to maintain if there isn't a tethered cable.

Soldato
@Nasher what do you think of the current glimpse of the future where some patrol stations have ran out of fuel and others have closed due to lack of customers as its not profitable enough to stay open. That's the future, when enough electric cars are on the road even with ICE cars still being around there wont be enough customers and patrol stations will start closing forcing more people to switch to electric.

This virus just goes to show another advantage of EV's. For many no risk of catching the virus while fueling up and no problems getting fuel. Far superior to outdated ICE cars. Having an EV means no worry's about getting to work due to lack of fual.

Soldato
@Nasher what do you think of the current glimpse of the future where some patrol stations have ran out of fuel and others have closed due to lack of customers as its not profitable enough to stay open. That's the future, when enough electric cars are on the road even with ICE cars still being around there wont be enough customers and patrol stations will start closing forcing more people to switch to electric.

This virus just goes to show another advantage of EV's. For many no risk of catching the virus while fueling up and no problems getting fuel. Far superior to outdated ICE cars. Having an EV means no worry's about getting to work due to lack of fual.

Until the power goes out for a few days. Or the local chargers stop working lol

Last edited:

All logical and sensible people get this.
The ones who dont get it are either daft, or just like ICE cars so much they dream up silly excuses and what ifs as I am sure you will get a reply from Nasher to evidence

Edit, oh lol and it happen as I was typing this and fixing a typo

But as has been said many many times

As the electric network becomes more crucial it will expand and become more robust, there is also home generation etc
Other than outlying areas how often has the network been down for days. In 40 years I can think of zero days so far.
Apart from where there is mass flooding etc, and then the petrol station isnt operating either as they need electric as well ;)

And as demand goes up there will be many many times more local chargers than petrol stations

I do remember fuel strikes though which dropped supply to only critical people. Do you not remember them?

Edit to change 50 years to 40, i cant remember much from when I was under 10 to be honest.
And of course I refer to issues that wouldn't have affected petrol stations as well.

Soldato
If the power goes out for a few days you cannot get patrol from the station ether so ICE cars are stuck in the same situation. Accept for the EV's still win as you can charge them up via home electric generation while the ICE cars are useless. Like I said, this is a wake up call for you to see the long term future of how ICE cars are going to die away due to lack of patrol stations staying open.

Then there is the health advantage. Fueling up an ICE car in today's world is massively more risky to your life then fueling up an EV on your driveway. There are just so many advantages to EV's today.

EDIT: How many times have we been without electric for days? In most areas zero. How many days have we been without fuel or limited fual. Lots, massively more then days without electric.

Soldato
If the power goes out for a few days you cannot get patrol from the station ether so ICE cars are stuck in the same situation. Accept for the EV's still win as you can charge them up via home electric generation leaving while the ICE cars are useless. Like I said, this is a wake up call for you to see the long term future of how ICE cars are going to die away due to lack of patrol stations staying open.

Then there is the health advantage. Fueling up an ICE car in todays world is massively more risky to your life then fueling up an EV on your driveway. There are just so many advantages to EV's today.

Except you can store 1000s of miles of petrol in a few large cans for months or years. To store that much energy in batteries would cost millions and need a building the size of a house. Also petrol engines can be modified to run on alternative fuels.

Except you can store 1000s of miles of petrol in a few cans for months or years. To store that much energy in batteries would cost millions and need a building the size of a house. Also petrol engines can be modified to run on alternative fuels.

Legally your only allowed to store 30 litres of petrol at home unless you advise the government
https://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/petrol-storage-club-association.htm

To have more than 275 you need a licence

During the fuel strikes if you remember some people were killed due to storing too much in poor containers.

Soldato
Soldato
Except you can store 1000s of miles of petrol in a few large cans for months or years. To store that much energy in batteries would cost millions and need a building the size of a house. Also petrol engines can be modified to run on alternative fuels.

I wouldnt be storing quantities of petrol at home for years and then trying to run it in a modern car!

Back
Top Bottom