*** General TVs Talk Thread ***

Soldato
OP
Touch over budget, it worth it though?
Last tv did me for 7 years!

Well, B9 is £1300. Whether it has 7 years in it, hard to say. I have an XF90 and that's going for about £800. The only thing you'd really miss is HDMI 2.1 once new consoles/GPUs land but that's something to consider. I'm personally happy with mine and would buy it again if I had to choose, over the OLED, especially for the price but regardless (I don't like headaches, TV baby-sitting etc). If you really want HDMI 2.1 then either going for one of last year's models which have it (like the aforementioned OLEDs) or waiting for something like the Sony XH90 another month or so, which is supposed to be $999 (and I assume roughly £1000-1100 for UK) which is more or less a bit of an improved XF90 but with HDMI 2.1 to boot.

Associate
ok thanks, i just looked into a proper 3lcd 4k projector and there about £3k for a mid range one plus the screen , i had one in the past and could not handle the noise and i guess they will be louder due to hdr.

Associate
Is there any time that Panasonic release the specs of their new tvs? Possibly ive missed it if its happened already, but aiming to look at either a panny or a c9 (would have been a c9 last year but redundancy intervened!)

Associate
Well I joined the LG C9 55" club yesterday. Sensed the lockdown was coming and didn't want to wait any longer with likely 2020 panel delays to boot! Have not set it up yet. That will be tonight's job.

C9 will be used in a completely darkened room (no windows) so looking forward to what it can do. It is replacing a Samsung NU74000 normal LCD telly. Used for gaming 95% of the time.

In the living room which has loads of windows, I have the Samsung 55 QLED Q80R as the anti reflective capabilities and brightness levels was essential for that room.

Intrigued to see the black levels that everyone raves about on the C9!

Soldato
Well I joined the LG C9 55" club yesterday. Sensed the lockdown was coming and didn't want to wait any longer with likely 2020 panel delays to boot! Have not set it up yet. That will be tonight's job.

C9 will be used in a completely darkened room (no windows) so looking forward to what it can do. It is replacing a Samsung NU74000 normal LCD telly. Used for gaming 95% of the time.

In the living room which has loads of windows, I have the Samsung 55 QLED Q80R as the anti reflective capabilities and brightness levels was essential for that room.

Intrigued to see the black levels that everyone raves about on the C9!

I thought the same but plumped for the E9 as either set won't sit on my sound base.

Upgrading from a 42" Panasonic plasma which really has nothing wrong with it but if I'm to be stuck in the house for months I might as well enjoy it.

Associate
Well I fired the C9 up last night. Took a while to assemble safely by myself. Was scared of breaking the screen - it is so thin!
Also the HDMI ports were on the opposite to my Sammy grrr which required a bit of cable re-routing.

Played Spiderman on the PS4 Pro and was very impressed. Took a while getting used to the picture when compared to the NU7400 panel as everything just looks more detailed. The shadows and HDR performance are very impressive. Think I will try Death Stranding on it - that game looked breathtaking even on the NU7400.

IN summary - very pleased with my purchase and it will keep me entertained in the months of lockdown to come :cool:

Soldato
OP
Well I fired the C9 up last night. Took a while to assemble safely by myself. Was scared of breaking the screen - it is so thin!
Also the HDMI ports were on the opposite to my Sammy grrr which required a bit of cable re-routing.

Played Spiderman on the PS4 Pro and was very impressed. Took a while getting used to the picture when compared to the NU7400 panel as everything just looks more detailed. The shadows and HDR performance are very impressive. Think I will try Death Stranding on it - that game looked breathtaking even on the NU7400.

IN summary - very pleased with my purchase and it will keep me entertained in the months of lockdown to come :cool:

Give The Division 2 a try, but turn Neutral Lighting On in the game's settings. When you have night scenes with flares going off (and maybe a little rain), the HDR will leave you gobsmacked. It's that good!

Soldato
Hi All,

Hope all are well :) Like most, a lot of house work to do right now, which includes purchasing and putting up a TV in my bedroom. Here comes the query :)

I can't find a solid answer on what exactly the TV needs to be able to cast Now TV from my phone to the TV without the NowTV box/dongle. Is this Chromecast or does the TV need the ability to install a Now TV app? (My lounge Android based Sony Bravia TV doesn't have this, however it does seem to work).

Any help appreciated and some suggestions for a 32" TV also welcome (budget max £300.)

Many thanks in advance :)

Soldato
Does anyone have an opinion on the Samsung RU8000? Specifically the 55 inch.

It looks like it ticks a lot of boxes:
£600 or a bit less.
HDR10+
Reputable brand
Good software

Anything else that I should obviously buy in preference? Usage is films and TV from streaming services.

Soldato
OP
Does anyone have an opinion on the Samsung RU8000? Specifically the 55 inch.

It looks like it ticks a lot of boxes:
£600 or a bit less.
HDR10+
Reputable brand
Good software

Anything else that I should obviously buy in preference? Usage is films and TV from streaming services.

Too expensive. You have comparable TVs nearer the £400-500 range (Hisense U7BUK, Sony XG70 etc.) OR you have something many leagues above it at £800, Sony XF90. Note: below the XF90 ignore any mention of HDR, it doesn't exist even though it's advertised, it's all smoke and mirrors because the capability of actually showing HDR isn't there (local dimming etc).

Soldato
Too expensive. You have comparable TVs nearer the £400-500 range (Hisense U7BUK, Sony XG70 etc.) OR you have something many leagues above it at £800, Sony XF90. Note: below the XF90 ignore any mention of HDR, it doesn't exist even though it's advertised, it's all smoke and mirrors because the capability of actually showing HDR isn't there (local dimming etc).

Cheers. You're right, that Sony does look at least as good, and cheaper.

Permabanned
Well the arguing before was over who watched what on TV (we only had one), now its over who gets to watch on the big TV. :p

Watched a documentary on Elephants from Disney+, looked amazing. Also watched Ant Man and Pirates of the Carribean, also on Disney+. Both looked great.

I am not sure if its worth fiddling with any of the picture settings as imo it looks great out the box. Cinema buffs/pro calibraters may disagree. :)

Just a shame there is no 4K footy on at the moment to try.

Back
Top Bottom