• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
Can DLSS 2.0 be added to older games ?

Or is it only for new games that are not released yet..

it requires a small patch.effectively the same as adding new resolution options in the game menu. Game needs recompiling against latest NV API.
not much more than a few hours coding and testing.

Associate
A small patch from whom though? The developer? Ok I’ll wait for the backlog of 100+ games on Steam library to update first THEN charge me for DLSS not one or two AAA titles that I may never play. Might be good tech, might make good headlines but its value prop is **** poor atm until it gets adopted which is Nvidia’s risk not the consumer

Soldato
it requires a small patch.effectively the same as adding new resolution options in the game menu. Game needs recompiling against latest NV API.
not much more than a few hours coding and testing.
Am hoping they update some the games that support DLSS 1.0 (like Shadow of the tomb raider, Metro Exodus etc ) to support version 2.0

Soldato
DLSS 2.0 needs integrating into the render pipeline. According to Nvidia it is about as much work as adding TAA.
Removing DLSS 1.0 may be a bigger job as it is much more invasive. I doubt many studios will spend the time required to do the rework for old games.
DLSS 2.0 has now been built into Unreal Engine so will be much easier for future games.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
id just be happy with 2080ti raster performance with 2nd gen rt cores stapped on for double performance in ray tracing and 2nd gen tensor cores to boot, all for £350 :D and yes im dreaming, im half expecting them to cut down the number or rt cores even with 2nd gen and end up with the 3070 having near as the same exact perf of the 2080ti in all aspects which would be rather depressing and yes id LIKE it for £350 but i doubt we'l see it for under £450.

Soldato
id just be happy with 2080ti raster performance with 2nd gen rt cores stapped on for double performance in ray tracing and 2nd gen tensor cores to boot, all for £350 :D and yes im dreaming, im half expecting them to cut down the number or rt cores even with 2nd gen and end up with the 3070 having near as the same exact perf of the 2080ti in all aspects which would be rather depressing and yes id LIKE it for £350 but i doubt we'l see it for under £450.

Oh I really hope the mid range cards are decent at ray tracing.

If not I would rather not have it.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Oh I really hope the mid range cards are decent at ray tracing.

If not I would rather not have it.

well the 3070 should match the 2080ti and possibly beat it a little, as for the ray tracing they should be using 2nd gen rt cores so they will either match performance and make it more power efficient or we may get a actual jump in ray tracing performance. have to see which way nvidia go with it really. as normally id expect them to stiff us as they would want ray tracing to be a selling point for the top end, but with both new consoles packing hardware raytracing they may actually give us that 2nd gen jump (hopefully doubling performance). just gotta wait for jensen and his leather jacket to tell us.

Soldato
well the 3070 should match the 2080ti and possibly beat it a little, as for the ray tracing they should be using 2nd gen rt cores so they will either match performance and make it more power efficient or we may get a actual jump in ray tracing performance. have to see which way nvidia go with it really. as normally id expect them to stiff us as they would want ray tracing to be a selling point for the top end, but with both new consoles packing hardware raytracing they may actually give us that 2nd gen jump (hopefully doubling performance). just gotta wait for jensen and his leather jacket to tell us.

lol

Looking forward jensens dodgy bar graphs and leather jacket.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Der8auer said on one of his recent videos new cards will be released in the summer, not sure if by accident quess or he knows something we dont.

well nvidia is supposed to be releasing gddr6 updates on a few gddr5 cards, so he could been on about them. id have expected more info being leaked by now if it was ampere cards due for summer, unless they mean summer being end of sep which is a possibility. but honestly i wouldnt be surprised if we do see anything ampere based before oct.

Soldato
To run 4k 120hz you run an 8 bit signal without cromo subsampling and hdr turned off.

Maybe someone else here can fill you in on the details, my screen is 2018 model so I don't think it can do it. You need the new lg or a samsung qled tv from 2019 onwards.

Maybe one of the new oled 2080ti users can fill you in more of on the details of running it at 4k 120hz in games.

Youtube video here if you wanna take a look.
https://youtu.be/OkutDIrdaT4

I got my lg 4k 55 inch back in 2018 so that counts me out my tv can do 120hz in 1080p ..

Soldato
Der8auer said on one of his recent videos new cards will be released in the summer, not sure if by accident quess or he knows something we dont.

some of the tech guys like Linus and Hardware Unboxed don't have much inside info - they just reviews products based on what gets sent to them - these are what I call filthy casual tech channels. Then you have real tech tubers like gamers nexus and derbauer and digital foundry etc - these guys are much more hands on and do a lot of modding, they have relationship with manufacturers and get their inside information that way.

Motherboard manufacturers are really good to build relationships with, they get early acccess to cpus, ram, gpus and more for very obvious reasons and if you have a friend working there leaking information to you then you are pretty much setup.

Back
Top Bottom