Final Fantasy VII - "Remake"

Soldato
Finished it just now.

What an utterly fantastic game, not without some foibles, but nothing to distract it from a solid 10/10 for me.

It took me 35 hours, not really rushing, not taking my time either, could probably squeeze another 20 hours.

So the post game content, who is working through it? I'll aim to Platinum it this month. I'll enjoy working through the hard mode. Superb that you can skip to any chapter you want and pick up any parts you've missed.

Soldato
I've created a spoiler thread, and I'll post the below response there too.

ill be interested to know your thoughts when you’re finished about the changes made.

This is a game ruining spoiler
I will be really interested to know players thoughts about the alternate universe stuff that I’ve read elsewhere.
This isn't actually a remake of Final Fantasy VII. That's the big twist.

More specifically, at the end of the game, it's implied the cast breaks the "fate" of the original storyline, meaning everything after Midgar doesn't have to be anything as it was when compared to the original game.

If I were going to create this game myself, I'd have made very little changes, if any at all.

It's been such a faithful retelling of the story, and having played the original probably a hundred times, there's so many little bits and pieces that they nailed. The whole mood, and some of the weirder, general FFVII stuff, all perfectly on brand.

There's a fair amount of what feel like fetch quests, and I didn't indulge in a lot of them. Would've I preferred one game, roughly the same length as the original, with the same graphics of the Remake but a load of the content from this one taken out? Ask me again if/when the entire "game" is finished. At the moment, my answer is yes, I'd have liked a roughly 1:1 game as the original with the uprated graphical, musical, and voice acted elements. In fact I'd have taken one that had the graphics of, say, XIII, or even X-2 at a push. They could've remade FFVII on any PlayStation since the PS1 and I'd have loved it I think.

What are your thoughts on it all? I feel like I could type forever but it would be a big sloppy mess, I've only just finished it this afternoon so I need time to organise my 35 hours of gameplay, since Friday afternoon, into something cohesive.

Interesting take! Where did you read that?

I sincerely hope it's wrong, though.

And, I'm of the opinion that it isn't correct. And I base that assertion off of Advent Children and Crisis Core.

We've already seen all of the foretelling. Aerith (I really struggle calling her that, she's always been Aeris) dies, it's tragic, but it's also part of what made the original so great. Aerith getting to live feels cheap, and her sacrifice means nothing. Besides, we know she doesn't die, since nobody dies, they just return to the planet.

In terms of sending the story in any other direction, i.e. a different path where Aerith still dies, then I'm not sure. All the while playing this part 1 I've been imagining what the Gold Saucer, Cosmo Canyon, Rocket Town, Temple of the Ancients, Chocobo farm etc. will look like fully rendered with the new graphics, and all the other little places in between.

My theory is that extra content at the end of Midgar, i.e. the battle with the whispers and Sephiroth (which isn't actually Sephiroth, as his body is in the Northern Crater), is mostly fan service to whet the appetite of the fans. Can you imagine how much of a anticlimax it would've been just to leave it at the end of them just walking out of Midgar? This way they've managed to squeeze in a fight with Sephiroth, an early fight with Jenova, leave you on a massive high, and also show bits and pieces from Crisis Core. It's all lore, as far as I'm concerned, and all canon.

Where that doesn't make sense if the bit about the unknown story etc. But I think that's just Square Enix toying with us.

Still, an interesting take, and it wouldn't totally surprise me if true. But I know a lot of fans wouldn't be happy with that.

I saw this unintentionally but it's not ruined anything for me tbh. I HATE with a passion anything to do with alternative time lines, time travel etc. I find it usually convolutes stories to the point I lose focus and interest. However, if it's been done so they can take the other two episodes their own way then I think I'd be ok with it.

Indeed, I'd hate for that to be the case.

PS4 Pro + OLED TV + FF7 Remake = Epic :D

Which OLED TV do you have? :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Ready to replay it since you'll have unlocked hard difficulty ;) (assuming you complete it on normal)
I decided I will likely sell it once I complete it and have my 2nd playthrough on the PC when it eventually comes out. If for some reason it does not hit the pc then I am sure we will get a PS5 version :)

Soldato
My copy turned up this morning, but I’ve also got RE3 coming tomorrow!

how long is this game to complete? As RE3 is relative short 5-6 hours so thinking I’ll wait for that to come and complete before I dig into this.

never played the old FF games, player 15 which I enjoyed so really looking forward to this.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
My copy turned up this morning, but I’ve also got RE3 coming tomorrow!

how long is this game to complete? As RE3 is relative short 5-6 hours so thinking I’ll wait for that to come and complete before I dig into this.

never played the old FF games, player 15 which I enjoyed so really looking forward to this.
I hear it is about 30-40 hours? I am at around 12 hours and can tell I am not even halfway through. I am doing every side quest and looking through every nook and cranny :D

Soldato
I hear it is about 30-40 hours? I am at around 12 hours and can tell I am not even halfway through. I am doing every side quest and looking through every nook and cranny :D

perfect, just watching the resident evil films which are decent enough so will wait on finishing RE3 before playing FF7.

Soldato
If you aim to do everything you should easily go over the 40 hour mark from all I've seen.

This time tomorrow I'll finally be able to play!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If you aim to do everything you should easily go over the 40 hour mark from all I've seen.

This time tomorrow I'll finally be able to play!
Yeah, I intend to as I will be selling it after that and then replaying it again on the PC trying to do all the achievements on Steam :p:D

Soldato
It'll be out on PC and possibly Xbox this time next year most likely, it has a year long Sony exclusivity deal from what I understand.

I doubt it'll be out on Switch, I can't even remember the last time a current gen main series FF title was released on a Nintendo console.

Back
Top Bottom