**** The Official Chinese Phones Thread ****

Soldato
Just out of interest what do you use NFC for? I've literally never used it. Can't think of how I would either.

Edit: assuming it's Google pay. Somehow I thought this was using some different tech.

Yes, i have 2 phones at the moment, a 4XL for best, 2XL for work and GPAY, currently its contactless only in the canteen.

Im using GPAY all the time now,pretty sure it doesn't have a limit like contactless on the card, paid for things £120+ on it.

Just ordered a Xiaomi Note 8 Pro a few days ago, see what it's like!

Soldato
Yes, i have 2 phones at the moment, a 4XL for best, 2XL for work and GPAY, currently its contactless only in the canteen.

Im using GPAY all the time now,pretty sure it doesn't have a limit like contactless on the card, paid for things £120+ on it.

Just ordered a Xiaomi Note 8 Pro a few days ago, see what it's like!
AHH nice. I've got the 2XL and have never used the gpay.

I've looked into the note 10 pro from Xiaomi too. Although the 9T or the Huawei P30 pro are the ones I'm finding most appealing at the moment.

Soldato
Well I received my Note 8 Pro yesterday and I have to say, I'm well impressed.

The build quality is very good and and it feels nice and smooth to use. I haven't noticed any lag whatsoever and the screen suits me. I've never been a fan of AMOLED colours (may just be the samsungs I've used) and this IPS screen is nice and crisp. Battery is also very good. I woke up at 8am and and have been playing with the phone all day and it still has 40% left now.

I also got a spigen case which feels very durable and fits better than any phone case that I've used before.

My only issue is the Xaomi UI is crap compared to stock Android and is not very intuitive. I usually have very minimalistic home screen and have all my apps in alphabetical order on the app screen. This isn't possible with this UI so I spent a good hour earlier organising everything into folders.

I honestly can't believe that it cost £150. My wife bought a Samsung a70 a month ago and I'm struggling to tell the difference..except the Xaomi is noticeably smoother!

maj

maj

Soldato
@DanTheMan was just about to ask about your order status as they've taken payment but order status hasn't moved to processing. So 3 day turn around from ordering to arriving? That's not bad. I've got a feeling mine won't come till next week due to it being bank holiday.

Soldato
@DanTheMan was just about to ask about your order status as they've taken payment but order status hasn't moved to processing. So 3 day turn around from ordering to arriving? That's not bad. I've got a feeling mine won't come till next week due to it being bank holiday.

Ordered on the 6th around midday, arrived morning of the 8th. I was very pleasantly surprised as the website said shipping in 12-15 days when I ordered.

I think companies must be massively understanding delivery times as it was the same for the case I ordered on Amazon. Said would arrive by 20th April and came the next day.

Associate
Just out of interest what do you use NFC for? I've literally never used it. Can't think of how I would either.

Edit: assuming it's Google pay. Somehow I thought this was using some different tech.

NFC is used for payments. I live in London and it is available everywhere including paying for Oyster card tickets on public transport.

Last edited:
Associate
I've had samsung and hate the bloat. And with google locking down on people who unlock the bootloader.
It's not worth it these days.

Yes I think the Snapdragon model can't be unlocked. But if I was going to drop that much money, I'd go for Samsung as it's the superior phone, has better cameras and not using outdated usb 2.0

Caporegime
Still holding out to see confirmed prices for the OP8 tomorrow but just seen the Oppo Ace2 announced. Flagship specs for seemingly good prices...
The Oppo Ace2 will come in purple, grey and silver colors and will start at CNY 3,999 ($565) for the 8/128GB model. There’s also an 8/256GB model for CNY 4,399 ($625) and a top of the line 12/256GB trim for CNY4,599($650).

maj

maj

Soldato
Been trying to trace my order but getting told different things each time I chat with Xiaomi's support team. Was told it would be here today when talking to them yesterday, now they're saying it hasn't even been collected by the courier. Appreciate with everything going on there might be delays but would be nice to be told straight when I ask plus the fact a member on here received theirs in 3 days and I ordered mine the same day.

Soldato
Still on my pixel 2 itching for an upgrade. The sheer amount of phones being released really isn't helping me choose.

I'm still more than happy with the camera and performance of the pixel 2 but after 2 years the battery is on its last legs and big borders round my screen are crying out for an update

I look at the SD855/865 phones and think "do I really need that performance?"

I look at the budget ones and they aren't available or have something missing. For example nearly bought a note9s today then just before confirming realised no NFC

Mi9t is probably front runner but feel like its due a price drop

Things like the realme6 pro seem appealing but arent easily available

Feel like I've never been so indecisive about something ever before. Normally I jump right in

Guess I keep waiting and recharging the pixel 2 :p

What would you buy for £200? £300? Is anything such good value for money that it's worth paying more ?

Associate
Been trying to trace my order but getting told different things each time I chat with Xiaomi's support team. Was told it would be here today when talking to them yesterday, now they're saying it hasn't even been collected by the courier. Appreciate with everything going on there might be delays but would be nice to be told straight when I ask plus the fact a member on here received theirs in 3 days and I ordered mine the same day.
If it's being delivered by DHL take anything they tell you with a pinch of salt at this time.
I've had/waiting for 2 parcels and the tracking info has been ambiguous at best and downright wrong at worst

Soldato
Still on my pixel 2 itching for an upgrade. The sheer amount of phones being released really isn't helping me choose.

I'm still more than happy with the camera and performance of the pixel 2 but after 2 years the battery is on its last legs and big borders round my screen are crying out for an update

I look at the SD855/865 phones and think "do I really need that performance?"

I look at the budget ones and they aren't available or have something missing. For example nearly bought a note9s today then just before confirming realised no NFC

Mi9t is probably front runner but feel like its due a price drop

Things like the realme6 pro seem appealing but arent easily available

Feel like I've never been so indecisive about something ever before. Normally I jump right in

Guess I keep waiting and recharging the pixel 2 :p

What would you buy for £200? £300? Is anything such good value for money that it's worth paying more ?

same here on the pixel 2 xl, its itching for an upgrade. the one that keeps pulling me back in is the huawei p30 pro but im loathed too spend that amount £30 a month. (although technically it means the phone is only £360)

the oneplus 7t also seems to fit the ticket but its not reduced since the 8 launch and im not paying over £500 for it.

the 9t is £250 from gearbest - https://uk.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_3009176344369266.html?wid=2000001

if that helps.

the realme 6 no good? i know it doesnt have NFC though, presumably this means you use this a lot?

i think ive come to realize the perfect phone doesnt exist.

too expensive
missing a feature
battery too small

a compromise has to be made and generally with budget options its a feature missing.

maj

maj

Soldato
If it's being delivered by DHL take anything they tell you with a pinch of salt at this time.
I've had/waiting for 2 parcels and the tracking info has been ambiguous at best and downright wrong at worst

The order status hasn't changed since last Monday which is when I placed the order. Their site does state to expect delays of around 10 days but I'm passed that now. would have been quicker ordering it straight from China at this rate!

When did you place your order?

Associate
The order status hasn't changed since last Monday which is when I placed the order. Their site does state to expect delays of around 10 days but I'm passed that now. would have been quicker ordering it straight from China at this rate!

When did you place your order?
I had an order from the USA that was tracking daily until it got to Heathrow,then all tracking stopped .....4 days later DHL delivered it.
The system is messed up.....the latest delivery was showing as being collected 1 day but the next it hadn't.
All the courier services are being over run and their systems can't keep up

maj

maj

Soldato
Now they're saying Note 8 Pro's are out of stock. Getting frustrated now. When I ordered I could only get the black as it was the only one "in stock". More than happy to have the black but nowhere did they say it was out of stock and their website shouldn't of let me place the order if that was the case.

Back
Top Bottom