** NEW LG MONITORS - INCLUDING 2 EXCLUSIVE TO OCUK!!! **

Soldato
I'm not convinced. I've gamed at 4k on my PC and unless you get a big monitor then it's wasted. Not everyone wants a 40"+ monitor on their desk.

Vast majority of gamers are on sofa's in front of a beautiful 4k TV. Each year the number of 'gamers' sat at a tradional desk, playing games at low resolutions of 1080P and mid range resolutions of 1440P, is decreasing (mostly only older folk stuck in their ways doing this).

The most expensive 4K TV's (LG C9, CX etc) are far superior in quality/performance than any traditional monitor. PC monitor manufactures have truly ruined the market, far too expensive and horrible quality wise (backlight bleed etc).

Even phones are > 1080P, 1440P resolution these days.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Vast majority of gamers are on sofa's in front of a beautiful 4k TV. Each year the number of 'gamers' sat at a tradional desk, playing games at low resolutions of 1080P and mid range resolutions of 1440P, is decreasing (mostly only older folk stuck in their ways doing this).

The most expensive 4K TV's (LG C9, CX etc) are far superior in quality/performance than any traditional monitor. PC monitor manufactures have truly ruined the market, far too expensive and horrible quality wise (backlight bleed etc).

Even phones are > 1080P, 1440P resolution these days.
The majority of PC gamers are at desks.

I wouldn’t want to use my LG C8 to game on, very happy with this monitor.

Associate
Doubt it, new consoles will make 4k ubiquitous to the masses. Not many PC gamers will want to be playing at lower resolution than console gamers.

I expect 1080 and 1440P monitors to crash in price in 6-12 months, when the masses realise that 4k is the new norm for gaming.

There is more to a display than just resolution. People do not play at 4k right now because it is nearly impossible to get a decent and consistent fps over 60 because the hardware is not there to support it.

4k gaming in the PC market is a good 5 years away yet before it is affordable.

Associate
Doubt it, new consoles will make 4k ubiquitous to the masses. Not many PC gamers will want to be playing at lower resolution than console gamers.

I expect 1080 and 1440P monitors to crash in price in 6-12 months, when the masses realise that 4k is the new norm for gaming.

There is absolutely no way 4k will become the norm for most people for at least another 5 years. People will always take frames over resolution. Console games aren't competitive, so attention to resolution can be afforded. Until we can achieve 144fps at 4k with cards that don't cost £800 or more, we'll still be looking at 1080p/1440p.

Currently 65% of people play at 1080p, 6% at 1440p and 2% at 4k. There is no way that the 4k proportion will be more than the 1080p + 1440p proportion for another half decade, at a minimum.

Soldato
Not the thread to argue about this guys, we can all have our own opinion. That said, just before the PS3 and Xbox launched, people were saying the same about 1080P being too hard to drive at that resolution. This quickly changed once the PS3 launched.

Consoles drive the gaming world, there are far more console gamers than PC gamers. Once these consoles launch, 4K will absolutely become the norm, hence why I think it's foolish to invest in a 1440P monitor at this stage.

P.S. Obviously we'll continue to see esports gamers run on CRT monitors at hundreds of FPS, this is very much a niche market, the vast majority will be happy gaming on a 120Hz 4K TV/monitor once the consoles to power that resolution/refresh rate are here.

Associate
so rather than get this we should all wait for the LG Ultragear 27GN950? 4k and 120hz.

Not sure how my 5700XT would handle it. But I do plan on keeping the monitor longer than the GPU.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
so rather than get this we should all wait for the LG Ultragear 27GN950? 4k and 120hz.

Not sure how my 5700XT would handle it. But I do plan on keeping the monitor longer than the GPU.

As I said above, I don't really see the point of 4K on a 27". It's harder to drive and doesn't actually offer improved gaming experience.

Associate
Thats really funny thinking as WHY would one need 4K on say a 27 monitor. I have the PG279Q and the PPI is way better then my Bravia 55 - 4K Tv!
Most ppl use 27 inch monitors and there 1440P is the perfect PPI. On a 32 and up, there 4K will be good, but never on a smaller screen!

Oh and yes I game at both my telly and monitor. Right now im waiting for the LG CX9 Tv, or even get the C9. It all depends on how much better the Gen3 chip in the CX actually is. I probably wont need the BFI as I much more prefere VRR insteed of using BFI, but atleast it woul be nice to have that 120 BFI, thats on the new CX models :)

Associate
Not the thread to argue about this guys, we can all have our own opinion. That said, just before the PS3 and Xbox launched, people were saying the same about 1080P being too hard to drive at that resolution. This quickly changed once the PS3 launched.

Consoles drive the gaming world, there are far more console gamers than PC gamers. Once these consoles launch, 4K will absolutely become the norm, hence why I think it's foolish to invest in a 1440P monitor at this stage.

P.S. Obviously we'll continue to see esports gamers run on CRT monitors at hundreds of FPS, this is very much a niche market, the vast majority will be happy gaming on a 120Hz 4K TV/monitor once the consoles to power that resolution/refresh rate are here.

Considering most people do not have the PC to do 4k at 60Hz there is very little chance of 4k becoming then norm anytime soon. The majority of PC gamers are still at 1080 for various reasons and it is only now that 1440 is becoming affordable.

Also, let's be real here and not ignore the fact that console graphics are below PC. I rather play at 1440 ultra than medium 4k.

PS esports gamers are not using CRT and you vastly underestimate the influence that esports has on the market. Esports is still 1080 240hz.

Soldato
Considering most people do not have the PC to do 4k at 60Hz there is very little chance of 4k becoming then norm anytime soon. The majority of PC gamers are still at 1080 for various reasons and it is only now that 1440 is becoming affordable.

Also, let's be real here and not ignore the fact that console graphics are below PC. I rather play at 1440 ultra than medium 4k.

PS esports gamers are not using CRT and you vastly underestimate the influence that esports has on the market. Esports is still 1080 240hz.

The PS5 and new box will effiectively be faster than a 2080ti, when console optimization is considered. They are capable of 4k 60 and greater. This will change the landscape, as technological marches always have.

Were you around when the PS3 generation made 1080p affordable and widespread?

Associate
The PS5 and new box will effiectively be faster than a 2080ti, when console optimization is considered. They are capable of 4k 60 and greater. This will change the landscape, as technological marches always have.

Where are you pulling this nonsense from? I did some searching and I have found nothing to indicate that the next gen consoles will be close to a 2080ti. If you think you are getting 2080ti performance with a 8 core cpu for £500 (rumoured pricing) then I have a bridge to sell you.

Associate

I remember many PS3 games, especially AAA third party games, not reaching 1080p. Even the current base PS4 and Xbox don't always reach that. 1080p was not the norm.

Associate
Has anyone got any idea when these will back in stock again? My PG279Q died and Asus cannot repair it.

I am unable to find this monitor in stock anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom