PC Game Pass (was Xbox Game Pass for PC)

Soldato
Thanks for the ideas. One of the problems is that I have no idea which games are in which folder, so I don't even know what to copy to where. I downloaded the game he most wanted to the spare space on his C: drive, but now I need to reclaim this lost space before there's room for the rest.

This is really putting me off MS Store games as a whole, never mind just the Game Pass. I know this has been raised many times and directly to MS support in many cases, so I don't think there's any prospect of it changing.

The only option I can think of now is making a bootable Linux USB drive and deleting from there.

Format the drives one at a time. Back-up any games that you have space for. And just redownload the others. Yeah, it's the long solution. But it's the easiest one.

Soldato
Format the drives one at a time. Back-up any games that you have space for. And just redownload the others. Yeah, it's the long solution. But it's the easiest one.

I was about to do that, but actually the use of a bootable Linux USB stick is a lot easier, and much, much quicker. Booted into ElementaryOS and could just delete the folders from there with no issues. Was done in a few minutes once I'd made the bootable stick.

We really shouldn't be having to take measures like this just to deal with game installation files, though, and it's totally put me off both MS store and Game Pass - at least until this changes (which will probably be never, but hey ho).

Soldato
I was about to do that, but actually the use of a bootable Linux USB stick is a lot easier, and much, much quicker. Booted into ElementaryOS and could just delete the folders from there with no issues. Was done in a few minutes once I'd made the bootable stick.

We really shouldn't be having to take measures like this just to deal with game installation files, though, and it's totally put me off both MS store and Game Pass - at least until this changes (which will probably be never, but hey ho).

Yeah, the file system is awful, as is the way Windows handles permissions. They could really do with tying permissions to peoples Microsoft accounts, so the system recognises that the files belong to "User X" even in the event Windows is reinstalled.

I think maybe the best way forward is to stick the Windows Store stuff on the OS partition/drive TBH and just wipe the entire thing if a Windows reinstall is needed. Documents, photos, etc. tend to back-up to the cloud now anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not recommended for someone with a dicky ticker?

It's probably the best Aliens game there's been but it's very, very tense. The Alien is a nightmare and you have nothing to hurt it until much later in the game. The brilliant sound effects as well just add to the fact that you're nothing more than prey to it.

Dodgy ticker - probably not. Maybe watch some videos first and then decide.

M.

Soldato
So my ultimate pass expires in about a week. What's the best method to extend it? I don't mind if it runs out beforehand etc, it's not that I need it every single moment of every day.

Preferably something that doesn't have me changing geos?

I was thinking 12 months game pass from cdkeys (£39) then can I still get the £1 ultimate offer (already used it once)? Or would any ultimate purchase extend all that time?

Associate
So my ultimate pass expires in about a week. What's the best method to extend it? I don't mind if it runs out beforehand etc, it's not that I need it every single moment of every day.

Preferably something that doesn't have me changing geos?

I was thinking 12 months game pass from cdkeys (£39) then can I still get the £1 ultimate offer (already used it once)? Or would any ultimate purchase extend all that time?
Sounds a PITA

Soldato
Thanks for that...

Anyway, looking closer, looks like it's jsut xbox gold for £39, so that won't work as it needs to be game pass.

Any other opportunities? I don't fancy using a vpn for brazil etc, looks too easy to go wrong and lose te account.

If your ultimate is active, you can actually buy xbox gold, or game pass and you get a conversion to ultimate: https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/live/gold/upgrade

I picked up 3 months PC pass and converted too two months game pass. See table in that link but here is the line

12 months of Gold -- 4 months of Ultimate

So not great conversion rate as such as it works out at £10 a month if you pick up 12 months of gold at £40.

Right now cheaper I have seen is game pass at £11.60 for 3 months which gets you 2 months ultimate for £5.30 a month: https://www.eneba.com/xbox-xbox-gam...ZNDNB6Db0GyGUncaMfm729dW1Kwon-ogaAo0pEALw_wcB

Soldato
If your ultimate is active, you can actually buy xbox gold, or game pass and you get a conversion to ultimate: https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/live/gold/upgrade

I picked up 3 months PC pass and converted too two months game pass. See table in that link but here is the line

12 months of Gold -- 4 months of Ultimate

So not great conversion rate as such as it works out at £10 a month if you pick up 12 months of gold at £40.

Right now cheaper I have seen is game pass at £11.60 for 3 months which gets you 2 months ultimate for £5.30 a month: https://www.eneba.com/xbox-xbox-gam...ZNDNB6Db0GyGUncaMfm729dW1Kwon-ogaAo0pEALw_wcB

Cheers :). Went with the deal you posted, they added another 60p processing fee, but stil a very good price.

Soldato
Alien Isolation and Football Manager 2020 now on the Gamepass, highly recommend Alien Isolation for anyone who hasnt yet played it.

I played Alien Isolation for a brief period when I had my Rift VR headset - there is a mod you can install that makes it compatible and it simply becomes the most terrifying experience there is on a PC!

It scared the absolute living **** out of me - and that was before I actually bumped into any of the critters! :D (mind you, it also gave me severe VR nausea - something about the walking while your actual legs aren't moving doesn't agree with your brain, which is why in most VR games you sort of hop/teleport instead of walk!)

Soldato
What is the best way to do this so I get the ultimate game pass and a year gold for as cheap as possible? My gold ran out a few months ago as did my ultimate game pass, (I think it was around £10.99 per month). Do I need to buy a year gold upfront for £40 for argument sake and then upgrade the ultimate game pass for £1 per month?

Associate
I played Alien Isolation for a brief period when I had my Rift VR headset - there is a mod you can install that makes it compatible and it simply becomes the most terrifying experience there is on a PC!

It scared the absolute living **** out of me - and that was before I actually bumped into any of the critters! :D (mind you, it also gave me severe VR nausea - something about the walking while your actual legs aren't moving doesn't agree with your brain, which is why in most VR games you sort of hop/teleport instead of walk!)

Not sure I could cope with it in VR, would be truly terrifying :D

Back
Top Bottom