Show us your kitty cats

Man of Honour
Here's hoping Angel is back to her normal self very soon.

There has to be a easier way to get cat's into these carry cases. My Jade and Abby goes into theirs withour too much trouble but Garfield is a different story altogether. I usually end up removing the top section but leaving the door in the base, put him in the base and while gently holding him with one hand put the top on before he can escape again. I have tried treats but that didn't work. Something that involves me keeping the skin on my hands would be good.
I had to carry her in my arms to the vets in the end. But the vet wouldn't let me bring her in and told me to put the box vertical with the door pointing upwards and place her in. It was so simple after that. I should have thought of it. Luckily we had taken the box with us too.

I collect her in an hour. Can't wait. She had two puncture wounds which needed cleaning.

Man of Honour
I had to carry her in my arms to the vets in the end. But the vet wouldn't let me bring her in and told me to put the box vertical with the door pointing upwards and place her in. It was so simple after that. I should have thought of it. Luckily we had taken the box with us too.

I collect her in an hour. Can't wait. She had two puncture wounds which needed cleaning.

@Hades How is Angel doing? Much better I hope. Another cat or a dog bit her?

I have tried that method with the cat carrier and there is no way that works with any of my three furballs. The legs just go as wide as they can get them and usually results in the box being kicked or knocked over. Little demons. :D

Man of Honour

I have tried that method with the cat carrier and there is no way that works with any of my three furballs. The legs just go as wide as they can get them and usually results in the box being kicked or knocked over. Little demons. :D
She is a little better now, thanks for asking. But the vets was quite traumatic for her. Because of the lockdown we had to hand her over outside and couldn't be with her. We later got a call saying they found several puncture wounds on her back and legs (probably from another cat judging by the sizes - all on her rear so she must have been trying to run away). But she wouldn't let them clean her up. So we agreed to her being sedated while they did so. She also needed a blood test before sedating because she is quite old. We collected her later that day and the poor girl has several areas shaved (on her back by her tail, her back leg, front paw where the injection was and under her neck although we can't work out why they shaved that). They also gave her an anti biotic injection.

She was still quite traumatised when we brought her home, obviously a little confused from the sedative, not able to walk properly and with a cone around her neck. She instantly tried to remove the cone and got panicky when she couldn't But the worst of it was that she panicked at the slightest noise in the house and ran around bashing into things when she was trying to hide. She was obviously hurting herself. Then my wife came in the front door and Angel was literally terrified at the door opening. She bolted out of the bedroom and tried to run down the stairs to hide in another room (we have three floors and she was desperately trying to find a better hiding place on one of the lower floors). But she managed to fall down the top flight of stairs when she caught the cone, rolling over herself until she reached the bottom, then darted into the main bedroom looking for a better place. I managed to catch up to her and close that bedroom door so she didn't leave it. We thought she had hurt herself badly but luckily she hadn't. But she was shaking in fear and mewing at me.

Against the vets advice we decided that the cone was making things worse. So I removed it. Luckily she hasn't licked the injuries much so it seems to have been the right decision. She later spent the night sleeping under one of the wardrobes for safety. I slept in the same room and stayed awake most of the night to make sure she was OK. I put her food, water and litter tray in there so she didn't need to leave the room if she didn't want to. I also didn't want her trying to get up or down any more stairs because she was still unsteady even without the cone.

In hindsight the injuries were probably not bad enough to need a vet. But she is our first cat and I wasn't sure. The stress of the vet probably made things worse and she would probably have been OK after a few days of peace. She hasn't yet wanted to go out at night but I have coaxed her outside during the day. I am working from home so can often go out and call her. She follows me around the garden and loves the current sun. Here she is sunbathing.

EDIT: Yes I know my patio needs new grout - my wife jet washed it the other day and it removed it all. Now I need to re-grout it.

Z7jrgxl.jpg

Soldato

I have found that putting the cat in backwards is a pretty simple way of getting a cat into a cat carrier.

Soldato
Yeah I usually put mine in backwards
Though I leave the cat basket
out all the time and put their food right in the back of it
They don't get suspicious of the sudden appearance of the basket then
Or only associate it with unpleasant things

Soldato
My Millie is quite laid back by it all I have a holdall type carrier now so she goes in the unzipped top. And if we get the bus up to the vet I will unzip the top enough for her to get her head through and she will happily watch the world wiz by.
On the road home once I we have crossed the main road I let her out of the carrier and she will walk home with me.
See here.

Soldato
I lost my Billy yesterday after only a month long battle with intestinal cancer (sure it was longer but only saw symptoms a month ago). Had him from 9 weeks old and was with me for 7 years.

The most difficult thing for me to come to terms with is that I couldn't be there when they did the deed. Due to corona. Understandable of course but all together rubbish, none the less. I had to say my goodbyes in the parking lot and then they took him in. I wanted to be there so he at least had some familiarity in his last moments. I can't dwell on it though. I'm sure they treated him like their own.

You were the best my dude and I miss you so much already.

Hx3v7Bt.jpg

Associate
Trying here considering.

Any on here know of a good British Shorthair breeder located somewhat near to Aberdeen?

(have looked online for breeders, but zero reviews on all found)

ty

Soldato
We think that Ronnies ear has now healed up after two lots of anti biotics followed by a once a week ear wash with steroid in it. His ears are nice and clean (except for a few spots) and thank god no more trips to the Vets.

Here he is in his new sun spot.
414409815.jpg

414409814.jpg

Sorry to hear about Billy - it's an awful time.

Man of Honour
RIP Billy.

Trying here considering.

Any on here know of a good British Shorthair breeder located somewhat near to Aberdeen?

(have looked online for breeders, but zero reviews on all found)

ty
Hi mate - I don’t know the answer but I own a British shorthair and just wanted to say that the shedding of hair is absolutely mental. It’s ****ing insane. My whole house is hairy. It’s endless. If you want a ‘hair free’ house, or if you don’t want to hover every day, maybe consider a different breed! I’ve previously had a golden retriever dog and I can say the cat is probably 10x as much hair :eek:

Love my shorthair and my MaineCoon but the temperament of the MaineCoon is much more friendly and playful whilst the British shorthair is very aloof. It’s a very pretty cat but I think 99% of people would prefer the company of the MaineCoon, which is almost ‘dog like’ in comparison.

Edit - to be fair we could groom her more often.

Last edited:
Associate
RIP Billy.

Hi mate - I don’t know the answer but I own a British shorthair and just wanted to say that the shedding of hair is absolutely mental. It’s ****ing insane. My whole house is hairy. It’s endless. If you want a ‘hair free’ house, or if you don’t want to hover every day, maybe consider a different breed! I’ve previously had a golden retriever dog and I can say the cat is probably 10x as much hair :eek:

Love my shorthair and my MaineCoon but the temperament of the MaineCoon is much more friendly and playful whilst the British shorthair is very aloof. It’s a very pretty cat but I think 99% of people would prefer the company of the MaineCoon, which is almost ‘dog like’ in comparison.

Edit - to be fair we could groom her more often.

Yup, I know about the shedding :( . My Bristish Shorthair (female) was great, even when she sat on my chest with a mouse in her teeth and dropped it when i woke up (it was alive and ran under my covers :( )...

Growing up in my family home we had 2 dogs and 6 cats (cats were a British Shorthair, Van and the rest tabby and then the 2 Golden Retrievers; it was insane, but I really enjoyed my time with them).

I will keep looking, but travel is imposssible for me, so need to find something somewhat close by (hopefully).

Back
Top Bottom