Final Fantasy VII - "Remake"

Associate
I think the graphics look excellent ( on a PS4 Pro ). Whilst the PC version, when it arrives, should have the potential for higher graphical fidelity, I don't think most people are going to find the current PS4 version as lacking in that area.

Soldato
I'm nearing 50 hours in on a standard 2015 PS4. The graphics are jaw dropping and the game runs perfectly with no slow down. The only glitch I've seen are what other people are reporting regarding textures being slow to update, which strangely I never noticed earlier on in the game. It'll probably be patched at some point.

This game has so far surpassed my lofty expectations and has been a complete and total joy to experience. I've never played a game that has stunned me as much as this game. The design of Midgar is incredible and I found myself numerous times just having to stop and take it in as I couldn't believe I was experiencing it. I'm approaching the end and I don't want it to be over so I've been levelling up and trying to do and get everything I can.

As someone who must have played the original about 15+ times (even more the Midgar portion) it's been emotional experiencing it over again and so well realized. Some of the liberties the writers and directors have taken are really intriguing and you can tell the whole game has been made with genuine love by the people who made the original. They know exactly what they're doing and how they want to tell it.

I haven't finished it yet but I'm already hungry for Part 2. The wait will be agony...

Soldato
When you finish it, it will tell you what you missed and you can then select any chapter you want to try grab bits you didn't get.

Can also play it on hard it you wish to do so, which I believe makes enemies slightly harder but you can't use any items.

Soldato
Is the whole game as 'Follow the leader' as the hour or so of gameplay I watched? Talk to NPC, follow NPC to certain spot, watch cutscene, follow NPC to next spot, watch another cutscene, battle, pick up item marked on the minimap etc. That kind of gameplay plagued the hour or so of God of War I played too and I can't stand it personally.

Caporegime
Is the whole game as 'Follow the leader' as the hour or so of gameplay I watched? Talk to NPC, follow NPC to certain spot, watch cutscene, follow NPC to next spot, watch another cutscene, battle, pick up item marked on the minimap etc. That kind of gameplay plagued the hour or so of God of War I played too and I can't stand it personally.

The story would be point to point, it is not open sandbox like GTA. It is a linear game, especially in the first 1/3rd of the story. There is a bigger map which you can navigate later on but even then you are still going from town to town to hit a story beat.

Last edited:
Soldato

It's a story driven game not an open world one so there will be a lot of moving from one plot point to the next

I'm really enjoying it so far, it's beautiful. My two little quibbles is that the slums feel too bright, I like how they've expanded it but it was supposed to be really grim which doesn't translate all that well. Also the combat it may be me but I find dodging next to impossible, blocking is better and even that isn't great.

Still, loving it so far.

Soldato
Sooo....

I'm just over an hour in and have beaten the first boss, I'm in the process of escaping the ruins of the explosion.

First impressions are fantastic, the game looks beautiful and holds thematically to the original extremely well. The music is frankly outstanding, it deserves an award it's that good, several in fact. The changes I've seen so far are what I hoped I would, they expand on things I think were skimmed over in the original. Yet at the same time they stay true to the original in all the ways I'd hoped. We get to view Cloud in a slightly different light too, the way he's presented gives the impression that he's really dealing with some awful things right from the get go, something I feel the original failed to convey to the extent it perhaps should have. The equipment and materia systems exist as I hoped they would.

My only gripes so far are the the combat and the camera, I'd have preferred turn based. Regardless the combat is still fun and well thought out, the camera may be fixable with an update.
As stated, I'm only just over an hour into the game, but thus far I'm very impressed.

Last edited:
Associate
It's a story driven game not an open world one so there will be a lot of moving from one plot point to the next

I'm really enjoying it so far, it's beautiful. My two little quibbles is that the slums feel too bright, I like how they've expanded it but it was supposed to be really grim which doesn't translate all that well. Also the combat it may be me but I find dodging next to impossible, blocking is better and even that isn't great.

Still, loving it so far.

Some attacks/enemies you just can't dodge so you should be guarding in those circumstances eg. some of the boss moves at the end of Chapter 1. I'm not very far into the game but I find I'm using dodge way more than guard - I prefer mobility vs punisher mode. Also finding the battle controls more fluid now with more play time.

ps. the slums would be more glum without "waifu" Tifa and her red boots ;)

Caporegime
Do you get to fight any of the "Weapons" in the 1st part of the game? My memory needs a refresh as to when they first appear. I know some of them can't be fought effectively (i.e. beaten) till the end game anyway, after many hours of grinding, but that's multiple parts and years away, by all accounts!

rp2000

Caporegime
Do you get to fight any of the "Weapons" in the 1st part of the game? My memory needs a refresh as to when they first appear. I know some of them can't be fought effectively (i.e. beaten) till the end game anyway, after many hours of grinding, but that's multiple parts and years away, by all accounts!

rp2000

No, they are all outside Midgar. Besides, even when I maxed out my character I can only beat it like 1/5 tries in the original.

Soldato
I've just finished the side quests after getting into the slums and meeting Tifa.

I'm loving this, I love the way they've built upon the story.

I've just met Areith and already they've messed with the story lol.........

The entire point was to expand upon it, the game was never supposed to be a 1-1 recreation. When I got to the point you're describing I was over the moon with how they handled it. It makes sense to me, I love the original game but the way they're expanding in my eyes is fantastic!

Last edited:
Caporegime
They've done more than expand it if they've added it a plot element that never existed in the original game.

There's a difference between not being 1 to 1 and changing the plot.

How invisible flying cloak wearing beings make sense is beyond me.

Soldato
I'm liking the changes to the story, still not sold on the combat, particularly the need to build up ATB for everything. I get it for abilities but for items and spells it just means you spend 90% of your time spamming attacks before you can use the interesting/tactical stuff. Hoping that it grows on me or evolves as I get further in.

Visuals and audio production values are incredible and it definitely evokes the FFVII memories and so far I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

Back
Top Bottom