Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Is the dirt not coming off when you wash the car? (Two bucket method obviously)

If I've ever had any stubborn bugs I tend to use a bit of bug/tar remover or APC but I've never had an issue of my MF getting dirty polishing the glass after I've cleaned the car.

Soldato
Is the dirt not coming off when you wash the car? (Two bucket method obviously)

If I've ever had any stubborn bugs I tend to use a bit of bug/tar remover or APC but I've never had an issue of my MF getting dirty polishing the glass after I've cleaned the car.

Sorry I meant when I just want to clean the windscreen, what's everyones method.

As it will be dirty from road grime I don't like to use a MF first as it will just get dirty and end up just rubbing grime around the glass, do use a glass spray first with some paper towel and then a final clean with a MF.

Associate
How about dwelling with some APC and making up a small bucket of wash solution and using your wash mit?

If it's only some dust etc then I might consider just sacrificing a MF and using a big of quick detailer to remove the dust before polishing.

Soldato
How about dwelling with some APC and making up a small bucket of wash solution and using your wash mit?

If it's only some dust etc then I might consider just sacrificing a MF and using a big of quick detailer to remove the dust before polishing.

Good idea, I could also use some Bar keeper's friend, I forgot I had that and its good on glass. I suppose I shouldn't worry too much if the windscreen is a little grubby as I was it every 3-4 weeks anyway.

Man of Honour
I used menzerna power lock sealant.

Would it be better just to bucket wash it? Would I have to re polish? Its only a fair layer of dust from sitting on the drive.

If you sealed after the polish then I would just leave it after a bucket wash, especially given how quickly it is getting dusty at the moment. I’m actually just leaving mine, it’s filthy, but I’m not using it.

Associate
That’s it Iv had enough, never polishing a car by hand again, after detailing my wife’s car yesterday my arms are done. I need a machine polisher in my life.... been putting it off one for years. But I have decided to I want one now, after a bit research and some great YouTube videos I think I will go for a dual action one. But so many to chose from. I don’t want to spend more than £150, anyone who has been using them got any excellent recommendations?

Associate
Been out to clean some areas that don't usually get seen this morning.

49760650602_f8d195e76b_c.jpg

Stripped the front & side grills off

The side grills are 2 piece, I split them, APC and coated with CarPro Perl 1:3
49759799863_2e590c4f8c_c.jpg

49760328881_d05b488c6c_c.jpg

Front grill had more APC, Perl coat on all the blades and the rear, badges and emblem were split off and polished separately with Metal Polish.

49759800103_76050ac017_c.jpg

The sides where they meet with the side grill had some oxidisation, easily fixed with some Metal polish & a MF
49760650122_b2691257df_c.jpg

49759800008_e3ba4cbffa_c.jpg

I then coated the grill with Gyeon CanCoat
49760407481_1abdf88292_c.jpg

The bumper surfaces were treated to APC, some panel wipe then CanCoat and a layer of High Gloss
49759800178_54ceb7397e_c.jpg

49759800338_9a6c6ee1ee_c.jpg

49759800363_ce55d4f25b_c.jpg

Then, to put off doing the garden for as long as possible, I stripped the tatty sound deadening from the underside of the bonnet. APC, Panel wipe, Gyeon CanCoat & 2 coats of High Gloss and I am really pleased with the results.

49760650482_9bd1fbd32a_c.jpg

Soldato
That’s it Iv had enough, never polishing a car by hand again, after detailing my wife’s car yesterday my arms are done. I need a machine polisher in my life.... been putting it off one for years. But I have decided to I want one now, after a bit research and some great YouTube videos I think I will go for a dual action one. But so many to chose from. I don’t want to spend more than £150, anyone who has been using them got any excellent recommendations?

As suggested the DAS 6 pro, I got one a few months ago and I plan to polish my car with it very soon.:)

Associate
Spent a good few hours attempting to sort the paint on the mx5 yesterday, but didn't make much headway with it. The paint is 17 years old and I'm pretty sure it has probably never seen a polish, let alone a DA.

After wash, decon, clay I went at it with a Dodo juice fin cutting pad and megs ultimate compound. Whilst it did remove the lighter swirling the heavy was still basically untouched. I probably should have spent longer, but it was starting to get hot (overcast my bum, thanks Michael Fish), and I wasn't seeing much in the way of results.

I'm thinking perhaps the ultimate compound isn't a heavy enough cut, since the pads are fairly well reputed.

I likely won't attempt it again until the end of summer now, but what are your go to pads / compound choices?

Soldato
Cleaned the 911 today with the 'ol faithful' combo of Autoglym Super Resin and then Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, still as good a combination today as it was back in 2006 :D

Other products used :

Autoglym Tyre Dressing
Autoglym Alloy Wheel Sealant
Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care

49766044302_28d4cd26a4_b.jpg

49766044577_61e49c5ce7_b.jpg

I should also add, I spent hours on it, can't remember when I've ever had the time to do that, also a sign of getting older when my back felt broken by the time I got in :D

I remember spending 5-6 hours on cars in my yooth, can't do it now.

Last edited:
Associate
It's usually something I use once when I first get a car before considering longer term correction & protection.

If I wasn't using anything else I would probably polish with it once a month.

Soldato
Due to the lockdown I decided to spend some time cleaning up the leather in the cars.

CarPro 'Inside' cleaner
Leather cleaning Brush
Geon leather conditioner
CarPro Cquartz coating

Managed to get the M4's interior scrubbed up good, had to do two goes at the cleaner with the brush to get rid of the shiny leather and get a nice matte effect. Porsche Cayenne came up really good, though less effort to do the seats, there is leather everywhere in this thing. Need to let the Cquartz coating cure, and I'll post the before and afters. VERY impressed by the CarPro Inside, definitely would buy this again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom