F1 Virtual Grand Prix

Soldato
I was more invested in this than I usually am for F1!

Had Jimmy on one screen and the official stream on the other, I really enjoyed watching.

Soldato
Had Jimmy on one screen and the official stream on the other, I really enjoyed watching.

This was my setup last week - Lando & Jimmy on the TV, the Sky Sports stream on my iPad and playing F1 2019 on my PC.
The problem with the F1 Codemaster games is they play like arcade racers. iRacing and Assetto Corsa are much more realistic racing sims.

49762286747_3db7f87126_c.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like the iRacing Indy race was a farce yesterday with Simon Pagenaud (2016 Indy Champ and previous Indy 500 winner) deliberately taking out Lando when he lapped him, as revenge for a previous incident.

1st incident - Pagenaud (yellow car) blamed Lando (Orange car) for this crash whilst battling for the lead.
https://twitter.com/crldrx/status/1256701851791167488?s=21

2nd incident - Pagenaud got fixed up in the pits and whilst re-joining was talking about taking out Lando with his spotter. The lead cars come around and he lifts in the corner so Lando runs into the back of him.
https://twitter.com/wtf1official/status/1256692976744570880?s=21

Lando talking with Max about it

The R-Factor 2 Legend series is a stacked field - Vettel, Salo, Button, Plato, Solberg, Brabham, Monteiro, Montoya, Magnussen, Fittipaldi and others
1:21:00 for first race
2:32:10 for the reverse grid

Interesting to see that pros, if safety/budget isn't an issue, would race like absolute morons :p

Last edited:
Associate
Watched a bit of the first F1 race and didn't think a great amount of it. However I saw the all stars version pop up on my YouTube suggested and gave it a go.

Thought it wasn't a bad watch, and quite enjoyed it, will certainly be keeping an eye on it!

Caporegime
I watched some of that iRacing thing with Lando earlier to see what the drama was all about, he was leading with fresh tyres looked nailed on until the guy brake-tested him. The last few laps they all just started crashing into one another and deliberately taking each other out like a bunch of 10 year olds.

Associate
I've been very much enjoying all the sim racing, great seeing how the real drivers adapt to it.
The only bad thing I've seen was the end of that indy race.......what an embarrassment for the sport.
Americans really are the stupidest and most infantile people in the world.

Soldato
Pagenaud should have known better and Ferrucci just proved himself to be the ***** we all knew he was. Yes it's only a game and the outcome means nothing in the grand scheme of things, but in the end it shows the crappy attitude a sportsman has when they even consider doing something like that.

Caporegime
Do they just use bog standard F1 2019, or is it a specially modded version of the game?

it looks too lifelike to be the bog standard game. They must be using super duper PC’s.

It's just the bog standard game. That's just how good it looks. I think they've got it turned up to max settings, but that doesn't really need a beast of a machine: my four year old rig with a 970 in it is only just off managing to run it on max at 60 fps. Yours would do it without breaking a sweat.

Caporegime
It's just the bog standard game. That's just how good it looks. I think they've got it turned up to max settings, but that doesn't really need a beast of a machine: my four year old rig with a 970 in it is only just off managing to run it on max at 60 fps. Yours would do it without breaking a sweat.
Thanks, just checked on YouTube, looks like 110-120fps maxed out at 1440p. Might buy it later, bloody cheap atm.

Associate
Thanks, just checked on YouTube, looks like 110-120fps maxed out at 1440p. Might buy it later, bloody cheap atm.
It's a really good game, single player has a excellent career. Physics are very accessible with assists on or can be quite challenging with them off. Not quite a sim but a happy middle ground. I rate the ai very high too altho some others do not.

Last edited:
Associate
Have been enjoying the All Stars races, tried the Official F1 again and just got frustrated with all the touring car style passes, and cutting the final chicane in final race going unpunished.

Soldato
This was my setup last week - Lando & Jimmy on the TV, the Sky Sports stream on my iPad and playing F1 2019 on my PC.
The problem with the F1 Codemaster games is they play like arcade racers. iRacing and Assetto Corsa are much more realistic racing sims.

49762286747_3db7f87126_c.jpg
Hi - Is that the Logitech G920 wheel you have there? How do you rate it? I'd love to get into SIM racing but after doing some research finding it a bit complex with all the options or Rigs/Cockpits, Bases, Pedals, Stands, Wheels, Mods, etc. Wondering if the Logitech wheel is a good introduction to it and how it would work on a desk and the pedals on the floor connected to an XBox One. Interested to know your thoughts on it. Thanks.

Caporegime
Hi - Is that the Logitech G920 wheel you have there? How do you rate it? I'd love to get into SIM racing but after doing some research finding it a bit complex with all the options or Rigs/Cockpits, Bases, Pedals, Stands, Wheels, Mods, etc. Wondering if the Logitech wheel is a good introduction to it and how it would work on a desk and the pedals on the floor connected to an XBox One. Interested to know your thoughts on it. Thanks.

I recently decided to pick up a racing wheel, it's a huge improvement over a controller. The full on stuff is still, for me, far too expensive to be considering. I spent some time researching and as far as I can tell if you want a low budget entry wheel your choice is either a Logitech G29 or a Thrustmaster T150/TMX (essentially the same wheel with different buttons aimed as PS/XBox). The Logitech costs slightly more, although that seems to vary a lot, and is usually considered to be better built with better petals, but the Thrustmaster is considered to have a smoother wheel feel. I went for the Thrustmaster TMX, largely for the lower price (there was about €40 in it), and I'm very happy with it. The pedals do feel pretty cheap and they have an irritating tendency to slide on the carpet, although I'm finding that as I get more used to them that happens less. The wheel itself is comfortable to use and you really can feel what is going on with the car through the force feedback, and you get so much more precise control of steering, braking, and acceleration with the wheel compared to a gamepad. Unless, you're going second hand, there don't seem to be any cheaper force feedback wheels out there. IMO, getting a wheel without force feedback would be a mistake and remove a lot of the enjoyment of having a wheel.

I'm sure the more expensive options are better, but I don't want to be spending that much on it. If I'm still enjoying it, I'll probably upgrade the pedals at some point, and maybe try and make some kind of rig rather than bolting it to my desk.

Back
Top Bottom