Coronavirus riding

Soldato
Even my 650 easily shifts from 70 to 100 (kph obviously....) without really noticing if the road is quiet so I'd have thought it'd be the same for higher speeds on bigger bikes, especially ones with a more track focus.

Going back to the main topic of riding at the moment. I've only ridden to go shopping (I have no other vehicle) and not taken any detours either, but sunny weather and how empty the roads are is just so nice being on the bike. One thing I have noticed though, I really need to get some summer orientated gear, so sweaty!
I learnt in autumn/winter and then when I bought a bike it was also autumn/winter so I've not had the chance to ride in even remotely warm weather and my gear is all waterproof with no vents. I'm thinking I'll have to get a vented jacket (with armour) and some kevlar/armoured jeans or at the very least, some vented armoured textile trousers. Once it gets properly warm (if it does of course), my current gear will be unbearable for my commute.

I got a leather jacket but it's a summer one it's cool, Kevlar jeans which didn't come with any armour but had the inserts, so I got some third party knee and upper thighs (arse?) Armour pads which went in nicely.

Make sure you get jeans that can zip to your jacket, if not you can get a thing that goes onto a belt so you can zip it to your jacket.

It's really important to have a zip at your back that connects your trousers/jeans to your jacket.

I been out a few times this week, 40 mile or there about trips, just staying local, I appreciate 40 miles seems a lot for local but I really do live in the middle of nowhere, 15 miles to the nearest town. Anyway I don't really care, I get the argument that you might have an accident and take up NHS resources but you can say the same for a fat person that decides to go for a run out of the blue. Or lots of other things.

There are plenty of people doing far worse in terms of spreading.

I would also say, the roads are quiet but the traffic is also a bit more wreck less, people assuming nothing around so not looking out when pulling out, taking more risks overtaking, but as a good biker you should always be prepared for worst case at any time anyway.

Stay safe.

Soldato
I got a leather jacket but it's a summer one it's cool, Kevlar jeans which didn't come with any armour but had the inserts, so I got some third party knee and upper thighs (arse?) Armour pads which went in nicely.

Make sure you get jeans that can zip to your jacket, if not you can get a thing that goes onto a belt so you can zip it to your jacket.

It's really important to have a zip at your back that connects your trousers/jeans to your jacket.
Yeah, my current winter gear zips together from like mid front thigh all the way round and I prefer the feel of it like that anyway, then you add in the aspect of it meaning the gear doesn't shift about if you have an off and it seems a no brainer. Just have to find some gear I like the look of and isn't hideously expensive which will fit the bill of safety too.
I'd rather sweat far too much than have some gear which isn't very protective so will hold out on buying until I've found stuff I do want.

Soldato
Not gonna lie, gear that is safe, cool and looks good = ££££££££

I think my jacket alone was like £300, jeans £120 maybe.

But worth it, good stuff will last a long time. I feel cool, can move around freely on the bike and look fine to walk around, and the gear is supposed to be good stuff.

Hopefully I'll never have to find out.

Soldato
I been out a few times this week, 40 mile or there about trips, just staying local, I appreciate 40 miles seems a lot for local but I really do live in the middle of nowhere, 15 miles to the nearest town. Anyway I don't really care, I get the argument that you might have an accident and take up NHS resources but you can say the same for a fat person that decides to go for a run out of the blue. Or lots of other things.

Your choice, but I think that it is an irresponsible one. Fat people can't un-fat over a weekend, but you can choose not to ride a bike. The 'I don't care' comment is incredibly selfish and thoughtless.

There was an accident with a bike around our way yesterday morning. It consumed three police car units and the air ambulance, and goodness knows what else once the injured arrived at hospital.

Soldato
Even my 650 easily shifts from 70 to 100 (kph obviously....) without really noticing if the road is quiet so I'd have thought it'd be the same for higher speeds on bigger bikes, especially ones with a more track focus.

If your riding the Saturn 5 then yes when your doing 150 + you know it any one who says different is full of **** or has never been 150 on a bike.

Soldato
If your riding the Saturn 5 then yes when your doing 150 + you know it any one who says different is full of **** or has never been 150 on a bike.
What? I actually don't understand what you're trying to say there?
You do or don't know that you're doing 150?
All I said is it's easy to speed creep and not realise your true speed, especially if the road is quiet. Sure you know you're going "fast" but without looking at the speed on the dash you may not realise quite how fast....but that wasn't the point anyway, I was just saying it's easy to creep up over 70, that's all.

Soldato
OP
I am a key worker (emergency services) but I'm still a bit reluctant to use the bike to go to work, a bit paranoid about what the neighbours might think of me when they hear me start it up and then ride off on it given that I have a response car sat on the drive. :confused:

resized2.png

Soldato
Petrol sooooo cheap at the moment.

I tell you what though, drivers are even more retarded than normal at the moment, one guy pull out in front of me today, saw it coming so was ready.

Soldato
Petrol sooooo cheap at the moment.

I tell you what though, drivers are even more retarded than normal at the moment, one guy pull out in front of me today, saw it coming so was ready.

I've noticed that too. I popped down to the shop in my car the other day, had a car pull out on me whilst I was doing 30mph on a clear road, on the return trip I was tail gated all the way home and was close to hitting me as I slowed to turn into my street (I was indicating). Morons.

Man of Honour
Went into the office last week plenty of people absolutely hammering it down the motorway and red lights simply didn't exist for a few drivers.

Soldato
With the announcement today, what do you reckon, Wednesday onwards back on the bike?

Can say you are riding to the beach for some exercise?
Yeah Wednesday morning you can travel to places for exercise with no restrictions on how far you can travel. :)

Just wish i still had my GSX-S1000 because i'd be out first thing :(

Soldato
This shouldn't change anything, going out just to ride is still a very silly and selfish thing to be doing, potentially putting a whole load more pressure on emergency services. Especially as riding out "to then exercise" is clearly not what you'll be doing and is entirely taking the pre out of the mild changes to the lockdown rules.

Back
Top Bottom