Split Air con

Soldato
Hmm I did not consider that. The AC guy did not mention anything either! I have shown my neighbor already so maybe he will complain - or maybe he will opt to have AC and have the unit in the same place. The external unit is very quiet (even when all 3 rooms were running flat out).

Caporegime
Hmm I did not consider that. The AC guy did not mention anything either! I have shown my neighbor already so maybe he will complain - or maybe he will opt to have AC and have the unit in the same place. The external unit is very quiet (even when all 3 rooms were running flat out).

I think long as it is quiet you will be fine.

Soldato
Yup fingers crossed. Stuck my master bedroom AC on as it was 24c and the windows open last night made me feel rough this morning (hayfever no doubt). Stood 1m away from the external unit and I can only just about hear it running (it's quiet outside this time of night so a good test). I very much doubt they could hear it (main bedrooms at front of house too which is a bonus).

Soldato
Looks like a good install but are you allowed the outdoor that unit that close to the boundary?

Yeah technically it has to be 1m from the boundary, a bit misguided of the installers to do that because presumably if there's an issue in the future they would have to rectify it at their expense?

Although what difference it would make moving it would make in terms of sound difference would be negligible.

Soldato
I am a bit annoyed they did not mention it tbh. I mean it could have gone below my kitchen window which would have given the 1m distance. My neighbours bedroom that is closest to it is the smallest room of the house ( I use mine as an office) so hopefully wont be an issue for them. On the top floor, the back of the house is the ensuite. I can only hear the external unit running when I am 2m away from it and it is very very quiet. Maybe my fence helps deflects some of the noise too.

Associate
OP
It aint a problem until it's a problem. (it won't be)
Beneath the window would have been a slightly messier install with the 90 degree piping, and the electrics would have had a worse path through cabinets maybe?
I'm assuming the sink is below the window.

I had this discussion with my installer, he has never had anyone complain about the noise of the outside unit, and as stated above, slightly more to the right would make no odds to the noise.
You can get decibel apps for your smartphone, I imagine it barely registers.
Besides at night I guess only the bedroom would be running, so the outdoor unit won't be stretching it's legs. You probably have a silent mode you can use anyway. On mine it's hold the fan button down.

Soldato
True, maybe slightly messier, although I think they have put a 90 bend on the far left trunking anyway (just hidden by the unit). They could probably have used the same location for power and tacked it under the window maybe.

My 'option 2' quote mentioned the external unit will be on the wall above head height (otherwise it will block my footpath access to the front of the house) on my garage. If I do eventually go aheaad with this, I 100% will not have it mounted there as it will be aiming right over my other neighbors garden and almost in line of their bedroom window. I will have it trunked around the back of my house to the back of the garage / right side of the patio doors to make sure it doesn't affect them.

Soldato
I asked the air con guy why he did not recommend a ducted unit for my master bedroom and he said my loft hatch was too small (I thought it was quite big TBH). Also, I think he said he would only use a panasonic unit in the loft which would mean I would have needed a panasonic external unit so would have been more expensive to have both, unless I changed all my internal units to panasonic.

Can you elaborate a bit more on the ducted system, is this something you've researched?

I'm keen to get a split ac system installed, having looked around a ceiling cassette seems to offer more benefits in term of being more discrete in the room, and easier to install I.e all the connections can be made in the loft and there should be sufficient fall for the drain pipe.

I don't think they really cater for home use though, ceiling cassettes all seem quite over powered like 12000btu+ probably too much for a bedroom?

Edit: Found this LG unit is rated at 2.5kw/9000btu so could be suitable https://www.saturnsales.co.uk/LG-Compact-Ceiling-Cassette-CT09R.NRO.html

Soldato
It was simply amazing when they turned the units on yesterday and feeling the cool breeze. My office was around 25c at the time and it dropped to 19c in not long at all (it's a small room).

I think on my warranty it says 50m pipe length for my master bedroom (longest lengths) but I seriously doubt it is that long. Ideally you don't want the pipes to have to go up as you will then need to pump the condense with a pump which (AC guy said they are quiet) a lot of people complain they are noisy and it is something else to go wrong. If the internal unit can go on an outside wall of your house, that would be the best option as gravity will do all the work to remove the condense. Could the external unit go on a wall on the side of your house or are you mid terrace?

If all your bedrooms are on the same floor, you could have a ducted unit that supplies all of your bedrooms. That unit goes in the loft, then is piped out side your house so that might work for you.

P.S it took quite a while to install. 3 guys on the first day working hard for about 6 hours each, then 4 guys on the last day working for about 6.5 hours.

Oh @RJC, I asked the air con guy why he did not recommend a ducted unit for my master bedroom and he said my loft hatch was too small (I thought it was quite big TBH). Also, I think he said he would only use a panasonic unit in the loft which would mean I would have needed a panasonic external unit so would have been more expensive to have both, unless I changed all my internal units to panasonic.

Yep all bedrooms on same floor, semi detached with front door round the side, the house next to it, has no windows on that side either, so probably a nice location for the outdoor unit :D

ducted unit sounds awesome tbh...

Soldato
Can you elaborate a bit more on the ducted system, is this something you've researched?l

I did not know about the ducted units until RJC mentioned it. It turns out the ducted unit is too big for my loft hatch (Plus, I only have 1 bedroom accessible from my loft). My other bedrooms are on the floor below (Middle floor). The ducted unit you have linked too looks a bit more industrial or for offices with those square panel type ceilings. The AC installer had some residential type in his van which he showed me, they looked like a small 150mm ish round supply and exhaut vent.

If I move in to another property that has the more traditional layout, I might go ducted next time (although, so far I don't mind the style of the wall mounted ones I have). I would also make sure the loft unit was easily accessible for servicing - perhaps have a boarded area around it. I don't like work men trampling on my insulation!

Yep all bedrooms on same floor, semi detached with front door round the side, the house next to it, has no windows on that side either, so probably a nice location for the outdoor unit :D

ducted unit sounds awesome tbh...

Maybe time to get some quotes? I highly recommend the guys that did mine, despite not mentioning the unit being to close to my neighbor (it was me that suggested it went where it is). I think install prices go up at the end of the month. At least, that is what it said on my quotes anyway.

Soldato
The ducted unit you have linked too looks a bit more industrial or for offices with those square panel type ceilings.

A ceiling cassette is the same as a wall mounted evaporator essentially, so not ducted. The appeal of that would be not having a box on the wall and I think you can locate it more centrally in the room aiding performance.

The dimensions of a Mitsubishi model I was looking at are 570mmx570mm, my roof joists are on roughly 600mm centres so should just about fit, cutting out a square from the plasterboard should be relatively straightforward.

https://aircon-online.co.uk/product/slz-kf-r410a-inverter-heat-pump-single-phase/

It would have been interesting to know what your installers thoughts on these were.

Associate
Nice to see a decent enough install for once, a shame corners have been cut by ignoring the installation instructions ref how far off the ceiling and wall the units should be.
It boggles how an industry that primarily involves (efficient) air transfer doesn't grasp the concept of it.

Man of Honour
Amazingly they did our split system in 2 days, 3 units off one big outdoor unit. Came to about 8K in the end, mainly due to the Daikin Emura units, but they are very impressive. Already feeling the benefit. Didn't quite stetch to my gaming room, but I can feel the effect from the main bedroom. Cools down in a few minutes. The PVC trunking they use is incredibly neat and the Daikin indoor and outdoor units are impressively quiet.

Soldato
£3718 ex 5% VAT with the standard unit, or £100 each extra for the 'Zen' unit.

I paid the extra £101 extra each unit so £4021. AC guy said he would knock off the 5% VAT if I paid on the day he sends the final invoice. The scaffold cost was separate and I am yet to get the bill. IIRC it was £350+ VAT :(

Amazingly they did our split system in 2 days, 3 units off one big outdoor unit. Came to about 8K in the end, mainly due to the Daikin Emura units, but they are very impressive. Already feeling the benefit. Didn't quite stetch to my gaming room, but I can feel the effect from the main bedroom. Cools down in a few minutes. The PVC trunking they use is incredibly neat and the Daikin indoor and outdoor units are impressively quiet.

Are these the FTX units? This was my Daikin quote for 3 rooms (2.5kw units though) on one outdoor multi:

Total installation cost: £4019.00 ex 5% Vat
To upgrade any indoor wall Mount from FTX to flagship stylish amounts to £147.00 ex 5% Vat

Mine was also done over 2 days, just 6 days in between due to waiting on scaffolders!! grr.

Man of Honour
These:

https://daikincomfort.com/products/heating-cooling/multi-zone/indoor-units/emura

They are great units, wifi enabled and lots of features I haven't even tried yet like detecting where you are in the room and avoiding blowing the air into you, detecting when you are in or out of the room and activating accordingly etc. Most importantly, quiet. It is a shame my gaming room is on the other side of the house and would have required its own external unit, wiring etc which would have put up the cost a good bit. There is also quite a long run between units which put up the cost. Surprised how neat the job was, I was expecting mess/damage to walls. You notice they are closed units, I love watching them open when switched on :)

This is on the corner of the house where the bins are stored, so very much out the way.

£6,150.00 + VAT

The heating feature is crazy impressive and efficient too. I don't understand why new build houses don't come with the option for air con like this. I'd rather it than central heating and you get the benefit of cooling too.

Ah perfect, guess a fan by the door sucks in the cold air?
My main concern is the noise of the outside unit, it will mainly run at night, and of course during summer people have the windows open, with the neighbors window being a garage door width away I'm hoping they don't go thud thud thud like the portable ones do. With the compressor kicking on and off.

@RJC can I ask what BTU you have?

This is what I have done for my gaming room. Amazingly the outside unit is near silent - luckily on this side of the house it is nowhere near our neighbour's house.

Soldato
Ah ok fair enough. I've just watched a vid and it looks cool when it pops up :D Your install looks neat too. The units look better not bunched up against a wall like two of my rooms. The only reason this was done was because that was the only external wall in those rooms and it saved having trunking.

Man of Honour
Ah ok fair enough. I've just watched a vid and it looks cool when it pops up :D Your install looks neat too. The units look better not bunched up against a wall like two of my rooms. The only reason this was done was because that was the only external wall in those rooms and it saved having trunking.

Far neater than I was expecting, the trunking they use is great. It is a massive headache trying to work out the best location in terms of room effectiveness, minimal trunking, trying to keep the cost down etc. We went through many revisions. Really pleased we did it though, last summer was grim, especially when our bedroom peaked at 35C.

Back
Top Bottom