**** Official OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro Thread ****

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
My 256GB 6T for £579 (with £50 off so actually £529) was right at the upper end of the scale I would be prepared to pay for a mobile phone and it was definitely worth it, but there is no way I am paying those prices.

Associate
OP don't own enough of the market to charge 1k for a phone imo they're such a small/ unknown phone brand outside of forums like these heck I remember walking into several phone stores and asking for the OP5T only to be greeted with " sorry who makes that? I've never heard of it" their camera is also awful and no where near premium quality

Associate
OP don't own enough of the market to charge 1k for a phone imo they're such a small/ unknown phone brand outside of forums like these heck I remember walking into several phone stores and asking for the OP5T only to be greeted with " sorry who makes that? I've never heard of it" their camera is also awful and no where near premium quality
Yep. They start with good intentions and greed gets the better of them, sadly, this could come back to bite them soon. The appeal of OP was always their pricing and decent kit. Now they are just like any other manufacturer but without the market name to back it up.

Soldato
Looking the look of the 8 but the 7T for £469 was right around the max price I want to pay for a phone. I heard the 8 prices were going to be high and decided not to hold on. The lockdown is ideal for having time to play around and learn the differences between the 7T and my Note 4. I am impressed with OnePlus for the money, very fast and smooth, huge jump up from the Samsung. I know it was very old in phone terms :p

Soldato
Yep I highlighted that 7T deal over on the 7 thread and it's a cracking price for brand new and from a proper seller. I'd have done the exact same if I was in the same boat.

Yes, I thought about the grey import but at that price and given that phones can be a bit iffy I went with the "proper seller". This thing charges at a stupid rate, brilliant. I read the 8 may have the same kind of speed on wireless.

Associate
Yep. They start with good intentions and greed gets the better of them, sadly, this could come back to bite them soon. The appeal of OP was always their pricing and decent kit. Now they are just like any other manufacturer but without the market name to back it up.
Yea I agree I owned both a 3+5T and they increased the price of their phones so I just got a pixel 4XL instead with a far better camera and more features no point in buying a OP at that price range anymore they just forced themselves out of the market the only people who I can see buying a OP at that price is die hard OP fans

Soldato
Yeah apparently. And so long as you're prepared to pay for the wireless charger as well. I read on here somewhere it could be £70 but I'm doubtful it would be that cheap, especially from OnePlus.

Yes, that's soon going to add up. Personally I see wireless charging as a bonus. This Warp charging is so fast it's no hardship to plug a cable in for a few minutes. I think I'll just stay behind the curve a little until the OnePlus 9 has been out for 12 months and is more affordable. That said I may keep this a long time if the battery holds up.

Soldato
Have been following Oneplus for a while, never managed to get the original One, but have owned the 2, X, 3, 5, 5T and have all been great phones. Still using the 5 as a work phone and still doesn't skip a beat.

Obviously been their aim to get up to the level of Apple and the prices certainly going that way. I might hang on to the S10 for a bit longer unless i really like the 8 and I can get a trade-in to cushion the price lift.

Associate
the only people who I can see buying a OP at that price is die hard OP fans
Most people who buy OP right now are the die hard fans anyway, people always find excuses to justify paying more for another flagship. OP phones are laggy, don't have wireless charging, don't have IP rating, don't have a good camera, don't have good battery life, you name it. I feel like even if they release a phone that checks all the boxes, there will still be justification to not pick it up.
I'm not excited at all about £1000+ phones but when they all cost the same, which one do you pick?

Associate
OP phones aren't laggy.

For most people, the answer is "iPhone".
Yes that's correct but that's true now. Most people would rather pick a £1000 iPhone over a £500 OP and that's my point. Even at a lower price point they're already only appealing to their die hard fans anyway, a higher price tag will just be another reason for everyone else to not pick them up.

Soldato
a higher price tag will just be another reason for everyone else to not pick them up.

I fully agree - OP should have sucked up reduced margins for a longer period in order to increase their market penetration. Now they're competing with Samsung, but at least Samsung are well known and run regular sales in which the prices of their phones are significantly reduced.

Associate
On a side note let's not forget that most people don't care how much a phone costs as long as they can get it subsidised and now OP is available on all carriers.

Back
Top Bottom