Final Fantasy VII - "Remake"

Soldato
How do I use the chapter select? I unlocked it and hard mode yesterday, I closed the game down after completing it but when I turned the game on today I cant see any option to use it. Pressing continue just loads the last autosave in the game.

edit. nvm, had to redo the end and then start a chapter and save.

Last edited:
Associate
I am so tempted by this, but will be my first non turn based final fantasy.
How easy is it going to be to pickup and play? Really nervous about the combat but doing want to go classic version if it is too easy!

Soldato
Jesus what a game this is. They've improved on the original, it was my favourite game of all time, and somehow this is better.

Soldato
I am so tempted by this, but will be my first non turn based final fantasy.
How easy is it going to be to pickup and play? Really nervous about the combat but doing want to go classic version if it is too easy!

I was absolutely convinced I was going to use the classic controls before getting this.
But then finding out that classic automatically puts the game on easy, I gave the new live combat a go, and honestly it's not all that bad.
An improvement over FF15 for sure.
Somehow feels less flappy.

Soldato
Great game and it’s nice playing FF again. I personally can’t stand the combat though. Echo comments on here about the ATB for items etc, just a bit spammy until you get the bars up.
I’d kill for this with proper turn-based combat!

Soldato
Still finding the combat quite heavy going, alternates between filler enemies and ones where without the right element it's a tedious grind. The fact that the enemies only really target the character you control is pretty poor in 2020, I thought we'd have outgrown that by now. Oh and the combat camera is awful, I can play VR games with few issues but playing fairly close to a large screen and I start to feel nauseous, makes it a pain to know what you're locked on to as it swings around so much.

Aside from the the occasional very very dodgy texture (which I assume is a bug) it does look awesome and the music hits all those nostalgic notes. The story has been improved for me so far (Ch 9) and I like what they've done with all of the characters. The on-rails nature of most of the game does grate a bit, I think other games have shown how you can tell a story without it requiring the "walk for 10 seconds, exposition, walk for 10 seconds, etc" style.

Despite the moans above I am still rather enjoying it but I think if I hadn't played and adored the original (and if it wasn't a FF game) I'd be pretty lukewarm about it.

Soldato
Just went against the Airbuster boss.....Jesus Christ!! What a battle!

ATB for items that what really messes you up on it unfortunately.

Like what they do leading upto it. Nice idea.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't really think I'm enjoying the combat at all, linking everything to ATB doesn't sit right with me.

I ended up putting FF7 R down for a day to finish off Star Ocean 4 (In fact, I've played about 20 hours of it in 2 days now...) and the combat in Star Ocean 4's far better IMO.

I've enjoyed the actual expansion parts to midgar, although I'll probably be disappointed by the ending, given it's part 1 of X to the story.

Don't like the other changes they've made though.
I'm just about to hit the second reactor.

Soldato
Hopefully they will fix the ATB in part 2 because its been highlighted many times now. SE did a similar thing with FF13 and changing it in FF13-2 to make the battle system less annoying.

Caporegime
Hopefully they will fix the ATB in part 2 because its been highlighted many times now. SE did a similar thing with FF13 and changing it in FF13-2 to make the battle system less annoying.

Another problem to having the game release in parts, differences between the games following on only minutes after.

It's more like a disc change, not a new game.

Hell, FF7 Remake Part 2 might even look like a completely different game, now that will be jarring.

Soldato
Another problem to having the game release in parts, differences between the games following on only minutes after.

It's more like a disc change, not a new game.

Hell, FF7 Remake Part 2 might even look like a completely different game, now that will be jarring.

I was having this discussion with my friend, I don't mind it being in parts now. The amount of detail they have put into this is crazy, if they made it one game then loads of stuff would be missed out. Like Jessie, she's an interesting character now.

Caporegime
I was having this discussion with my friend, I don't mind it being in parts now. The amount of detail they have put into this is crazy, if they made it one game then loads of stuff would be missed out. Like Jessie, she's an interesting character now.

I'm never going to like it being in parts, simply because it's not the game I ever imagined.
I'm sceptical how the rest of the parts will be laid out.

Midgar is about 15% of the original game, if the rest of the game isn't expanded to the same scale, I don't see how it'll work. Then again, with what they've done with the plot, it might be an entirely new game.

It's funny, but there's more playable characters from FF7 missing out of the FF7 remake than in it.

I can enjoy the FF7 remake for what it is as a game, but I'm kind of having to take it as it's own separate game entirely.

Soldato

I very much doubt that, Square have been working on part 2 for over a year and haven't given any indication that they will completely change it. Let's wait and see before making wide assumptions.

I'm never going to like it being in parts, simply because it's not the game I ever imagined.

You're imagining a remaster, this is a remake. Their 2 different things. There are mods (good mods) for the original version that you might prefer given your listed issues with the remake, for something to play in the meantime.

Hello,

I am looking for carbuncle summon materia DLC it is so cute

I can trade : Sephiroth theme/cactaur/chocobo chick

Send me pm if you interested to trade, thanks

Someone on Reddit found out that you can buy the digital deluxe version heavily reduced (sub £20 iirc) and get all the digital extra's (music, art and all 3 summons) if you own the base game. You can get this even cheaper by purchasing a pre-paid PS Store card which is often always on sale.

p.s you can thank me with that Sephiroth theme code ;) I would kill for that!

edit: here you go, it's £15 click

Back
Top Bottom