Wireless adapter constantly disconnecting?

Associate
Hey wondered if anyone could shed some light on what might be happening.

Just built my first pc and thankfully everything seems to be fine bar some major issues with network.
I opted for a wireless usb adapter and I bought the Archer T2U Nano.
The adapter has a habit of just cutting out quite often sometimes like this morning it's been almost every 5 mins and it doesn't reconnect itself automatically ever.(have to manually connect everytime I turn pc on). Speed wise its not great either generally download speeds have been 3.5MBps on average. Even though we have super fast broadband with a booster.
Things I've done so far :
-Tried to give the usb and router most direct line of sight possible.
-Reinstalled drivers
- I went into the device manager to try and force it to use 5ghz butthat seemed worse.
-change power management settings so it doesn't turn it off automatically.
-logged into my router hub, didn't end up changing any settings as didn't want to mess anything up but checked connection and everything seemed fine.

The only thing that seems to help is rebooting the router. In that case I seem to get a decent period of time where it stays on and online games are actually playable , in some cases the whole day, but at some point the problem starts again. Unfortunately this is not ideal as partner is working from home and needs to be constantly connected (which she is managing fine btw) and its starting to drive her mad that I'm resetting the router :D

Thanks in advance

Associate
Sounds like you have interference on the wifi, try scanning the channels and selecting a different one which is less busy.

Soldato
A WiFi analyser app will show which channels are being used by nearby routers, and then you log into your router and change the 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels to ones that are less congested/ empty and available.

Associate
OP
so i ran one of those analysers and this is what came through
VCxHNNz
eW2GM7A

not sure if theres anything there that looks off

Soldato
I cannot see your image (end the image tag with a /img in square brackets), but if your WiFi channel is the same as others and there are channels that are free then login to your router and change the channel to a free one.

Associate
OP
I think the adapter is just broke somehow, it's getting silly now, disconnecting every 2-3 minutes. Thanks for help but think I'll just chuck it and buy a different one, although If anyone has any recommendations that would be welcome :) thanks

Soldato
I’ve got a Netgear A7000 AC1900 USB WiFi adapter. Been using it up until recently to connect to my 236 mbit/s internet service. Now my internet service has gone up to 500 mbit/s so I no longer use it as it maxes out at 280 mbit/s and no more.

I live in a flat so it’s not far from the router, how fast is your connection?

Associate
OP
Well I havnt thoroughly tested my connection beforehand as last time I had a pc I was at at different addresses, however me and the missus phones run flawlessly, also as I mentioned missus work pc is also running and my xbox runs fine.

I found some addition power settings to change such as on the usb 3.0 root hub. So hopefully I may have fixed that issue, still doesn't explain the horrible speeds I was getting on wow earlier xD

Associate
OP
Just been chatting some friends on discord,we were trying to play Age of empires and i kept on getting disconnected, one of them said maybe because missus work pc is connected to a VPN this could be an issue? i would just disconnect it to see but she has a right flap about it because apparently its a pain to reconnect to if i disable it , just wondering if that could be the issue. just dont get why i can browse web fine but as soon as i play games it ***** up

Soldato
No, her PC connecting to a VPN is not going to affect any other device on the network unless she is doing so by setting up the VPN at a router level which seems unlikely from what you have said.

Associate
Hey wondered if anyone could shed some light on what might be happening.

Just built my first pc and thankfully everything seems to be fine bar some major issues with network.
I opted for a wireless usb adapter and I bought the Archer T2U Nano.
The adapter has a habit of just cutting out quite often sometimes like this morning it's been almost every 5 mins and it doesn't reconnect itself automatically ever.(have to manually connect everytime I turn pc on). Speed wise its not great either generally download speeds have been 3.5MBps on average. Even though we have super fast broadband with a booster.
Things I've done so far :
-Tried to give the usb and router most direct line of sight possible.
-Reinstalled drivers
- I went into the device manager to try and force it to use 5ghz butthat seemed worse.
-change power management settings so it doesn't turn it off automatically.
-logged into my router hub, didn't end up changing any settings as didn't want to mess anything up but checked connection and everything seemed fine.

The only thing that seems to help is rebooting the router. In that case I seem to get a decent period of time where it stays on and online games are actually playable , in some cases the whole day, but at some point the problem starts again. Unfortunately this is not ideal as partner is working from home and needs to be constantly connected (which she is managing fine btw) and its starting to drive her mad that I'm resetting the router :D

Thanks in advance

I have had issues recently with installing a new WiFi card. My main issue was slightly different to yours but regular disconnecting did happen when I was connected. Like you, I tried everything I could find from Power Management, deleting old WiFi profiles to messing around with router settings.

Have you tried uninstalling the device/driver, rebooting and letting Windows install the driver itself? I can't explain why, but that fixed all my problems and Windows installed the driver I was manually trying to install as supplied with the Wifi card. It's now running fine, 5Ghz and getting good down speeds over 802.11ac with a Virgin SH3.

Very quick and easy to try so might be worth a shot if you haven't tried that already.

Associate
OP
hey thanks for help people. been looking at it all day again today. i actually found out through reading the reviews of my adaptor where i purchased it that others have had the same problem and downloading a realtek driver could be the solution.
after downloading pleased to report i'm now getting double the speed, probably as its actually now connected to 5ghz. though will need to leave it on a while to see if threes still an issue with it constantly disconnecting.

Associate
OP
I have had issues recently with installing a new WiFi card. My main issue was slightly different to yours but regular disconnecting did happen when I was connected. Like you, I tried everything I could find from Power Management, deleting old WiFi profiles to messing around with router settings.

Have you tried uninstalling the device/driver, rebooting and letting Windows install the driver itself? I can't explain why, but that fixed all my problems and Windows installed the driver I was manually trying to install as supplied with the Wifi card. It's now running fine, 5Ghz and getting good down speeds over 802.11ac with a Virgin SH3.

Very quick and easy to try so might be worth a shot if you haven't tried that already.

hey yeah i have tried this with no luck unfortunately D:

Back
Top Bottom