Final Fantasy VII - "Remake"

Soldato
're imagining a remaster, this is a remake. Their 2 different things. There are mods (good mods) for the original version that you might prefer given your listed issues with the remake, for something to play in the meantime.
Being in parts has nothing to do with it being a remake, there are plenty of remakes out there that come out as a whole game. Square are just **** poor at handling their projects and use their **** ups to milk more money out of a product hey know is going to sell out regardless.

Caporegime
I very much doubt that, Square have been working on part 2 for over a year and haven't given any indication that they will completely change it. Let's wait and see before making wide assumptions.

I mean IQ wise, because it'll be coming out for the PS5 with no guarantee of a PS4 release, and if it's coming out on the PS5, it's not going to look the same.

You're imagining a remaster, this is a remake. Their 2 different things. There are mods (good mods) for the original version that you might prefer given your listed issues with the remake, for something to play in the meantime.

Remake's don't need to be different to their source material.

I have no problem with expansion, I've got a problem with adding in plot elements such as time travel/alternate realities or whatnot from a game that didn't have it originally. That's far beyond the realms of a remake.

Soldato
Given it was in development alongside the first part for at least some length of time, I imagine they'll be reusing the same engine and various other assets. I expect the second part will release on both PS4 and PS5, the same sort of thing happened for a number of games during the transition from the PS3 to PS4.

Caporegime
Given it was in development alongside the first part for at least some length of time, I imagine they'll be reusing the same engine and various other assets. I expect the second part will release on both PS4 and PS5, the same sort of thing happened for a number of games during the transition from the PS3 to PS4.

Perhaps, it depends entirely when it gets released in its generation I guess though (I can't for example imagine FF7 Remake part 2 coming out next year)

There's only a few examples I can think of though and they were really early in the generation (Like within the first year), and only Titanfall when it comes to exclusives.

Don't know any PS3/PS4 exclusive games where it happened (Given as it stands, FF7 R is an exclusive)

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone else yet to receive their chocobo chick summon materia code or if they got from Amazon, their Sephiroth theme?

I've been on chat with Amazon for over an hour now and their beyond useless....

Soldato
Being in parts has nothing to do with it being a remake, there are plenty of remakes out there that come out as a whole game. Square are just **** poor at handling their projects and use their **** ups to milk more money out of a product hey know is going to sell out regardless.

By all means tell me what remake is much bigger than the Final Fantasy Remake that has the same length, scope and detail as the original FF7 did. I can't think of a single remake. You seem annoyed you didn't get what you want rather than what was released, and that's fine. It's a 90gb game with 40+ hrs of playtime. Resident Evil 3 remake very recently got slaughtered for being a few hours long costing the same price. Critically by players and media it's done very well too. You'll forgive me for not buying into your opinion.

I've got a problem with adding in plot elements such as time travel/alternate realities or whatnot from a game that didn't have it originally. That's far beyond the realms of a remake.

The whole thing with the ghosts and being tied to fate/destiny was strange but the time travel and other stuff I'm not sure what you mean. The Nibelheim stuff? That was in the original for the most part. To be fair, using voice actors and modern tech some of the original stuff including the dialogue would be pretty crap today. Much of the text dialogue etc was down to our own imaginations to put all the stuff in between together. Overall I very much enjoyed it, shame if you didn't.

Caporegime
The whole thing with the ghosts and being tied to fate/destiny was strange but the time travel and other stuff I'm not sure what you mean. The Nibelheim stuff? That was in the original for the most part. To be fair, using voice actors and modern tech some of the original stuff including the dialogue would be pretty crap today. Much of the text dialogue etc was down to our own imaginations to put all the stuff in between together. Overall I very much enjoyed it, shame if you didn't.

Unless I'm mistaken, in the remake we
save Zack Fair

That's time travel/alternate realities.

Soldato
Unless I'm mistaken, in the remake we
save Zack Fair

That's time travel/alternate realities.

I see what you mean. There's an interesting note on this from the producer

d2ygntT.jpg

I actually agree with this. When Biggs and Wedge survived it was a big surprise, and a good one. It would be strange if Zack does indeed survive, questions such as how did Cloud still have his sword? Would need explained. It seems the whole ghosts arc has been a way for them to allow some changes, most of which I'm alright with. I'll be honest apart of me hopes Zack does survive, but the other half thinks that'll be going to far. Another concern is whether we're able to save Areith, as much as we wanted to, we shouldn't. At the end of the game we saw flashes of that scene with Cloud.

Will just have to wait and see, but for me, a few changes so far I've liked, it's still my childhood game

Soldato
how long did it take to complete this game?

I took my sweet ass time exploring everything and doing a bit of grinding for some Materia before going to the end game. For me it was 50+ I would say average 40+ and once you finish it they give you hard mode, chapter selection, addition content (via simulator battles) and I've been told you can finish maxing your weapons off when replaying on hard with additional SP which I'm yet to do. To clarify, enabling hard mode requires you to complete it on normal, and will allow you to carry over everything from normal to replay on hard.

Soldato
Yeah took me about 54 hours too. I could have done it much sooner but I play RPGs at my own pace and I actually like doing a bit of exploring, grinding and levelling up. For someone that enjoys RPGs, I'd say Remake is a solid 40-hour game, any quicker than that and you're missing things and not fully engaging with what the game offers IMO.

I loved the game, I have some gripes about it and there are things they could have improved (like wanting more enemies to fight early on etc.) Overall it surpassed my expectations in many ways and was exactly what I expected in others. The only larger problem I have with it is what most people have, how it ended. I will say though that, whether or not you've played the original, Remake is a great game and is a must-play for RPG fans. If you've never played an RPG before, take a look at some combat videos on youtube to see if it's your cup of tea or simply play the demo.

As for the ending and the future.
The Kingdom Hearts vibes terrify me, it's so unnecessary. Alternative realities, different timelines, deaths not meaning death anymore, changing Aerith into Doc and Marty's time travelling best mate, chatting with Space Sephiroth, and fighting Shadow of the Colossus are all keeping me up on these long covid-19 nights.

Tifa: "Cloud, you're scaring me."
eggyoke: "Nomura, you're scaring me."

I feel like I could write a 10,000 word diatribe on my fears about the ending but I think most people feel the same way (to differing degrees.)

Going into the Remake I always felt there would be changes. I'm not against it, it's actually refreshing to see things play out in deeper, more thorough ways than the original and perhaps changing some of the more vague and bizarre elements. I expect them to make changes to how the flow of events play out. For example, I absolutely can't see them doing a world map, there's no way we'll reach the point with us circling the globe in the Highwind. Everything's going to be much more tightly controlled and narrated, which so far I really liked. Just so long as they give us the equivalent content in its new presentation.

And this is my hope, that the reason for the "tear in destiny" at the end is simply a way of them playing with a meta ingame representation of the tweaks and changes they're about to make in order for future games to have a beginning, middle and end. It's sensible. It's entirely understandable. Logical even. My rationality is holding onto that. For my own sanity, this is what I'm going to tell myself is happening. Nomura is a kindly and wizened old sage who knows best and is not an incomprehensible, death denying, fan blocking, self-indulgent, incorrigible and creatively subpar dream destroyer :(

Man of Honour
I'm about 10-15 hours in now I think and I've been really enjoying it. I can't remember much about the original game but from my limited memory I don't recall it being so linear?

Soldato
I'm a massive original fan and I'm enjoying it. On chapter 9 atm. It is uneven though. No way it should have been split up imo(and if it is more than two parts it's a joke!). Side missions are pretty much all terrible. Not done a single one that I felt was worth doing so far.... I mean, who when wishing for a FF7 remake all these years was doing so looking forward to finding missing cats and children around small corridor-like areas?! No side quest has added anything interesting so far.

Overall I am pleased with the retelling of this part of the game though. None of the additions or changes to the story so far have bothered me in the slightest. In fact I've enjoyed it very much. I really like the combat too.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm a massive original fan and I'm enjoying it. On chapter 9 atm. It is uneven though. No way it should have been split up imo(and if it is more than two parts it's a joke!). Side missions are pretty much all terrible. Not done a single one that I felt was worth doing so far.... I mean, who when wishing for a FF7 remake all these years was doing so looking forward to finding missing cats and children around small corridor-like areas?! No side quest has added anything interesting so far.

Overall I am pleased with the retelling of this part of the game though. None of the additions or changes to the story so far have bothered me in the slightest. In fact I've enjoyed it very much. I really like the combat too.

I'm a bit confused by this. You said you dislike the additional content with side quests then go on to say the additional content and changes haven't bothered you. The side quests aren't major story elements, it's why their side missions - giving character development rather than just clicking a button on a random NPC and having a text box pop up like in '97. Some of the rewards are very nice, and absolutely worth doing on hard mode for the additional rewards. They also aren't mandatory, if you prefer to focus on the main story you can.

FF7R will be 3 parts btw, not 2.

Back
Top Bottom