*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Had an Easter BBQ

That looks like a good selection of meat! :D

Thanks, I done it in the oven in the end as the weather turned later in the day, it actually was a butterfly leg I had, I presumed I should use the indirect method, so that's good to know I can just cook it quicker over direct heat.

I have one of them food temp prongs that I got free with my BBQ, so I would use that to be sure its cooked through.

I think mine took about 20mins moving it around on the heat to give it a nice mix of charred bits on the outside and keeping the inside ranging from rare to medium, 55 to 60C. Then I let it rest for 10mins and diced it to serve.

Associate
For a leg, I'd butterfly it, marinate it over night then grill it direct, hot and fast! I did it with a goat leg a while back and it was fantastic. :)

hEwjL0kh.jpg

After a few hours it won't take on any more smoke and once it gets to about 60C it'll hit the stall. UK briskets don't generally have the same fat content as US ones either so I'd wrap it to power through the stall and keep more of the juice in. I tend to get the point end of the brisket so it's a bit fattier and a larger piece is always more forgiving as well, plus it means you can have left overs for burnt ends!

I had a cheap supermarket rump I was going to use on a baguette this afternoon so thought I'd fire up the Vortex and see how well it works for searing steaks. :D

kX7XCgq.jpg
These massive pictures have made me super hungry

Soldato
That's the ones! They're also doing 16kg for £27 which works out slightly cheaper per KG than the 10kg bag.

Just happened to see some Big K at the Range near me yesterday, just under £5 for 5kg - I will give that a go first :)

Which smoker is it? For my WSM, I fill the basket at the bottom with lump wood or briquettes, then dig out the middle of it into the chimney. Then I just stick a wood firelighter under it, light it and let it do it's thing. When the charcoal is going, I dump it back in the hole I made. If I'm using Heat Beads, I find them harder to light than charcoal so I put the chimney on my camping stove to get it going.

I treated myself to a modded fire basket and thermometer hanger for my WSM yesterday. I found the standard fire grate a bit too wide, so unless I filled the basket, some fell through when it had burned a bit and I ended up having to re-stack the charcoal to stop the temperatures dropping. It's got good reviews so will hopefully improve it, it should also make cleaning it easier as well, as I can just lift the basket out to empty it.

Just coming back on this, any tips for the first burn off / seal? I assume it's worth heating for a while, getting rid of the potential grease internally and starting to layer friendly grease/smoke? :D

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Went for a coke-can chicken at the weekend, Turned out very well and super moist which i put down to brine for 2hrs before the cook.

GHhdUj1.jpg.png

Soldato
I think it's one of the more basic models, but should hopefully allow me to see if I like this whole barbecuing lark!

I ordered this model:

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15956645/15956645-weber-mastertouch-gbs-charcoal-barbecue

Good choice, the Master Touch is a great piece of kit. That's exactly the one I have. :)

I did some shish taouk last night. Diced chicken marinated overnight in yogurt, lemon, garlic, cinnamon, gloves and cardamom then cooked direct over the charcoal. Really quick and easy to do and tastes great as the chicken chars nicely on the outside but stays juicy inside.

ST1bNTV.jpg

Permabanned
Gentlemen I need some help. I have little Weber 47cm kettle and I’m struggling to get the coals hot enough and too last long enough to cook things like steak and burgers.

I have a chimney and I’m using the Weber Briquettes I also have a bag of heat beads but wanted to save them for when I tackle something like a brisket.

So I measure out enough charcoal to cover the area that I’ll be cooking on and them chuck it in the chimney to heat them up. Once I can see plenty of ash I chuck it on the bbq with all vents open. Now this is where I’m struggling by the time I’ve cleaned the grill and put the meat on I lose heat as you would expect, but it then struggles to heat back up and maintain the heat for the duration of the cook.

What am I doing wrong? Not enough coal, not heating it up sufficiently before chucking on the bbq or possibly heating the coals up to much? Only once have I managed to get it properly hot to the point where I had to wait for it to cool back down again, but I was using the same amount of coal as I am now so I’m confused.

Associate
Gentlemen I need some help. I have little Weber 47cm kettle and I’m struggling to get the coals hot enough and too last long enough to cook things like steak and burgers.

I have a chimney and I’m using the Weber Briquettes I also have a bag of heat beads but wanted to save them for when I tackle something like a brisket.

So I measure out enough charcoal to cover the area that I’ll be cooking on and them chuck it in the chimney to heat them up. Once I can see plenty of ash I chuck it on the bbq with all vents open. Now this is where I’m struggling by the time I’ve cleaned the grill and put the meat on I lose heat as you would expect, but it then struggles to heat back up and maintain the heat for the duration of the cook.

What am I doing wrong? Not enough coal, not heating it up sufficiently before chucking on the bbq or possibly heating the coals up to much? Only once have I managed to get it properly hot to the point where I had to wait for it to cool back down again, but I was using the same amount of coal as I am now so I’m confused.
I'm still waiting for my bbq to be delivered, along with a chimney, so I'm probably not best placed to answer without ever using them yet. However, I have watched a fair few YouTube videos with waiting for my bbq to be delivered.

From what I gather from watching several videos, the best time to empty the coals out of the chimney is when you can see flames appear out of the very top. This means the fire has travelled through all coals and the coals at the top are now alight.

Every video I have watched, they have always filled up the chimney with coals to the very top. So I'm not sure if this is best practice, or if it's fine to just fill up with half or however much you think you need. Hopefully someone with a bit of experience can answer further.

Soldato
Any advice on using chips in the WSM?

I got some JD chips as a gift for christmas, however im eager to use the smoker for ribs today :)

Foil wrapping job?

Chips tend to burn through quite fast but a couple hand fulls scattered over the charcoal should keep it smoking as the charcoal burns. Just keep an eye on it and if smoke stops coming out of the top in the first couple hours, drop some more chips on.

I've got some ribs to go on later too. Just smoking some beef shin for a few hours before I drop it into the chilli below then I'll get the ribs going. :)

VtHidOih.jpg

8SgW8tYh.jpg

I prefer using charcoal for grilling rather than briquettes as I find it tends to burn hotter. I usually just fill a chimney full up, let it get going until the top charcoal is lit then dump the lot in. If it's still going when I'm done cooking, I close the vents and save the rest of the charcoal for next time.

Last nights Afghan Chicken.. Chicken legs marinated overnight in yogurt, lemon, garlic, ginger, onion, coriander, cumin, cayenne and paprika, then grilled hot and fast!

adZNcFUh.jpg

Permabanned
^^Thats some nice looking chicken. I’m always in awe at some of the food you guys cook.

Well I have the briquettes so I might as well use them up but do you have a particular brand of charcoal to recommend?

I think for the next try I’m going to load the chimney up like you said and see if that works any better.

Soldato
Chips tend to burn through quite fast but a couple hand fulls scattered over the charcoal should keep it smoking as the charcoal burns. Just keep an eye on it and if smoke stops coming out of the top in the first couple hours, drop some more chips on.

I've got some ribs to go on later too. Just smoking some beef shin for a few hours before I drop it into the chilli below then I'll get the ribs going. :)

Thanks.

As it happens I've had some issues getting the temp up, taken me well over an hour to get it to 100c.

I removed some water, opened all vents, then i added a little wind shield via my gas bbq. I'm hopeful i wont need to add any more fuel (full chimney + 1/2).

Fingers crossed my ribs are actually edible. Test and learn :)

Ps. Good looking food! :)

Back
Top Bottom