Poll: Apple iPad Pro

Are you going to buy an iPad Pro?

• Yes

Votes: 146 33.1%
  • No

Votes: 295 66.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
I've had my new 11" Pro for a few days and all I can say is WOW! I didn't think my Air 2 was to bad performance wise but the speed of my the new Pro is something else.

The screen responsiveness as well is just fantastic, coming from the Air 2. I didn't realise just how good Pro Motion was until really using it these past few days. I’m really hoping they can bring this tech to the iPhone 12 this year as it could make me upgrade.

Soldato
yep same. Been using it for piano learning apps, garageband and things like that. It's also much faster to just pick up and check something out on the web that my laptop. Instant on vs windows start from sleep.

Air 2 feels pretty old now, the borders just look so stupid

Soldato
I'm eyeing up the cellular 12.9 512gb model.

Just waiting for this keyboard to come out because that will seal the deal really.

I'm thinking of ditching my macbook for a gaming laptop to this ipad pro would serve as my mac replacement (i used my mac for facetime, imessage, icloud etc.).

the 12.9'' will be more difficult to use in the gym but oh well.

Soldato
I’d love to get one especially with the new keyboard but my Surface Pro 3 from 2014 is still going strong.

Sure it runs windows, doesn’t have the latest cpu or has a 120hz screen (the screen is very good otherwise) but it still does all the day to day stuff so I just can’t justify the £1000+ to upgrade.

the advantage of windows is u can game on it.

Soldato
Really interested in getting an ipad 12.9'' now to replace my Macbook Pro.

My macbook pro has been used for the past year to:
1. download music
2. play music in music player
3. go on forums and reddit
4. answer emails
5. facetime
6. type up essays
7. torrent videos and play them

The new magic keyboard and trackpad has nearly convinced me that productivity wise, this will now be a clear winner as I'll be able to do a lot of what I normally do, comfortably.
I already own an ipad 9.7'' pro.. its alright but the keyboard is awful, no trackpad and i feel VERY cramped screen real estate wise.
The pencil is awesome but the fact of it not attaching to my device makes it kinda crap as I lose it, and I've actually now lost the nib.

I've never been able to commute with a laptop.. just can't do it.. but my ipad has ALWAYS been in my bag.

for my use case, like torrenting and downloading music, how easy or difficult is it on an ipad to download music and videos? for example if i download an album to my icloud drive or ipad, is it possible to 'add to library' on an ipad or is it still gimped? (not a major concern as I can always just do this stuff on my PC).

Its weird as between a gaming laptop and an ipad.. id go for an ipad. but out of a ipad and a macbook pro.. i dont see enough distinct advantages to go to MBP.

Soldato
'Productivity' will still be slower than using a device with a desktop OS.

Number 1 is a PITA if you are outside the iTunes ecosystem or another steaming platform like Spotify etc.

Number 7 I don't think is a achievable on device and cant really be discussed here.

Caporegime
What sort of stuff do you guys use these for?

Like I get they’re nicer (I have a MacBook Pro and iPhone) but I’ve generally stuck with non Apple stuff for PC and tablet.

For example I have a kindle paper white for reading fiction books. And I have a kindle fire for non fiction books, PDFs, slides and for watching stuff downloaded from Netflix/Amazon Prime when on a train/plane.

Kindle fire was v.cheap in comparison and display good enough for watching Netflix/Prime in HD etc... Any benefit to getting an iPad?

Soldato

just normal day to day stuff
  • trainerroad (cycling fitness)
  • Safari, normal browsing
  • Music apps (learning piano and daw/edm stuff)
  • Reddit
  • Kindle (have a whitepaper but never use it)
  • Udemy
  • YouTube
  • Notes

just a really nice form factor, instant on, fast. The split screen support helps it to replace normal laptop tasks

Associate
Good job I won't be spending any money at the pub for the foreseeable future, I haven't had an iPad since the original. The pro with the keyboard is looking very tempting even though it's silly money :eek:

Soldato

Like I get they’re nicer (I have a MacBook Pro and iPhone) but I’ve generally stuck with non Apple stuff for PC and tablet.

Mine replaced my MacBook Pro, and for the most part I haven't missed it. I use mine for browsing, gaming, photo editing, video and file management whilst away. Works well for work emails too. Having a basic file system and being able to interact with other devices via the Lightning port was gaming changing for me - can now update sat navs, save photos and video while away on the motorbike.

The first time I picked up a 12.9 when they first came out, I thought that it was way too big. Now there's no way I can go back to the smaller one!

Caporegime
Ah I can see the use if you're replacing the laptop, I can't really replace the laptop for my uses. I don't use the kindle for e-mail or use the browser very often - do use my iPhone for e-mail and occasional browser use (laptop mainly though).

Soldato
I currently have the 2017 10.5” version, with the physical home button, and am wondering if the upgrade to the 2020 model is worth it. If I do buy the new version it’ll be a 12.9” but the size difference aside, is the upgrade from the 2017 model worth it to the 2020?

Man of Honour
Ordered the keyboard, looks like a classy bit of kit. I always have my iPad Pro in the existing keyboard case but the addition of the trackpad and the way it stands was a worthwhile upgrade

Back
Top Bottom