FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE (SPOILER TALK)

Soldato
OP
The game is excellent easily worth the money and I would pay £50 for similar length episodes. My playtime is about 26 hours.

I was just super excited to get out of Midgar and had no idea that was it. I know I have missed stuff, chadley has two things I have not completed. But I thought I had a whole game to level up my materia and collect all the weapons.

Its massive disappointment that's all. I want the rest of it, It came as a shock.

I'm torn with your take. On one hand, it's been such a big part of the journey towards getting the game, and it's been hugely criticized since it was announced that it was to be episodic rather than a 1:1 of the original. So the fact you've missed that is both surprising and impressive.

I mean, it says it on the back of the game/online.

With that being said, I'm very interested in the people who will experience it like you have, and then be shocked when it comes about that it's not the original story. SE didn't include the episode number in the title, most likely due to the fact they don't know, and also the drop in sales. For some people, yourself in included, they're going to feel either short changed or perhaps lied to.

Soldato
With that being said, I'm very interested in the people who will experience it like you have, and then be shocked when it comes about that it's not the original story. SE didn't include the episode number in the title, most likely due to the fact they don't know, and also the drop in sales. For some people, yourself in included, they're going to feel either short changed or perhaps lied to.

Thats a risk, but I think they've just placed their faith in the quality of the product. When a game is this good, this polished, tells the story this well, who out there isn't going to want to play the second episode?

Even the guys that are a bit frustrated with the direction they took the story - 90% of them would be running to the shop tomorrow if Episode 2 was released.

Soldato
This was literally my fav game of all time so I completely ignored everything on the internet about it. I work in the games industry too so I have been very careful. I am not bothered by the differences in the story. More I was expecting more of the game so made decisions based on this assumption and then there was an oh that's it moment.

I canceled my boxed pre-order when the COVID thing kicked off, I bought it on PS Store instead. So I am ignorant of the discussion around this.

The only criticism of the game other than the obvious is textures seem to pop or take a while to load and the draw distance of some objects. I have an SSD in my PS4 too.

The music is epic, I am not a fan of hack and slash and started playing this on classic but found it far too easy so started again.

I will be all over the next part if/when it's released.

Soldato
The only criticism of the game other than the obvious is textures seem to pop or take a while to load and the draw distance of some objects. I have an SSD in my PS4 too.

I will be all over the next part if/when it's released.

unfortunately the PS4’s architecture doesn’t take advantage of SSDs very well, but the textures is a widely known concern with a patch apparently coming to address it somewhat.

the next part is definitely coming, they’ve been working over a year on it already and lots of stuff from this remake can be carried over to the next instalment!

Associate
For the most part I really like the changes / additions , the zones feel more fleshed out and life like while still feeling familiar ... I do struggle a little with the section at the end just after the highway chase , It just wasn’t needed and was pretty poor :(

Really looking forward to get the other chapters , have they mentioned how the remaining chapters will be split ?

p.s one other criticism ... The classic boss music wasn’t used enough :p

Soldato
OP
Totally missed the parallels between Cloud and Aerith not clapping hands in the dungeon where Cloud moving obstacles to get them to where they need to go.

This game is deep if you're willing to glean.

Soldato
I heard so much about Hell House on Hard difficulty I felt I was in for a hard time going in blind. Obviously I got destroyed by the Tomberry's on my first try, that was a shock haha. On the second try it went down, loved the additional combat/mechanic around 20% but Areith's 2nd Limit Break cheesed it for me.

Tip for the Tomberry's if you want it.
If you're struggling with the Tomberry's, keep clouds ATB and use Braver on them. Their clumped up once they come out of the house and often it'll kill 2 or 3 in one go, trivialising them.

Associate
Hey bud

What's the reason you fancy playing either, at the moment? Is it because of the attention the Remake has been getting?

Definitely all the attention its getting - last time i tried a game that wasn't my usual go-to genre, I ended up loving the series (Bayonetta)
Also, my brother played the original back in the day and it always seemed to have him hooked! So, wasn't sure where to dive in.

Soldato
I'm going to post before reading back in this thread.

I've just completed it. Wow, what a game. FFVII was probably my favourite game ever so this had a lot to live up to and it really did it justice. You can tell so much time and effort has gone into this to avoid it being sold on its name alone. I really loved almost all of it. It took me around around 40 hours to complete the story and all the side quests (except for 2 of them which I managed to miss). It's insane they've managed to stretch out Midgar to the same length as the whole of the original without it feeling thin.

My only complaint really is the Shinra building section was a little long. Half of what it was would have been fine.

The ending? Well to me it looks as though they're going to be going down a different route to the original (due to the flashes showing scenes from the original of what will happen if they fail to beat the big baddie) and I'm okay with this. I'm confident (based on part 1) that they can change it up but remain faithful.

Soldato
OP
(except for 2 of them which I managed to miss).

You need to play the game twice to get those two, I assume it's the Chapter 9 ones where, depending on which options you choose, gives you two sets of quests.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/10660-final-fantasy-vii-remake/45-best-in-the-business

Well to me it looks as though they're going to be going down a different route to the original

There's various theories, some say that it'll be completely different, others say Sephiroth is showing them these visions trying to establish that if these things happen, then it's bad for the world, but we all know that with those events unfolding, Aerith is still able to save the planet, so he could just be messing with them.

Similarly, the whole over-world map isn't going to work in conjunction with how games are nowadays, so I'd expect some of the plot points to be changed in response to that. Imagine Part 2 will start at Kalm, going over more backstory. I'd have thought Chocobo Farm will be moved, deleted, or entirely changed in scope.

Soldato
There's various theories, some say that it'll be completely different, others say Sephiroth is showing them these visions trying to establish that if these things happen, then it's bad for the world, but we all know that with those events unfolding, Aerith is still able to save the planet, so he could just be messing with them.

Similarly, the whole over-world map isn't going to work in conjunction with how games are nowadays, so I'd expect some of the plot points to be changed in response to that. Imagine Part 2 will start at Kalm, going over more backstory. I'd have thought Chocobo Farm will be moved, deleted, or entirely changed in scope.

Sephiroth isn't showing us anything, the arbiters of fate are. The arbiters want to keep fate/destiny the same, the same story that was told in the original FF7 game. In remake you're fighting against that fate by defying it, making your own choices and fighting against it - as this story leads you. It's not a theory, that's why they were introduced into the game, to allow the story to be changed in ways that it was. I've been saying it for some time in this and the other thread that it's a good thing, but can understand those that don't like it.

There's a great review of FF7R by Jim Sterling who goes into this which I strongly suggest people watch if their confused by this new direction.
His comments about Wutai in the original are wrong to an extent as the war happened, Avalance was created after it and Barret and co did leave to go their own way, but Wutai lost the war, there wasn't a ceasefire like it's told in remake. What he says about the remakes story is right.

Shinra also used Avalance in the original as propaganda, but many people have forgot so much or didn't know because the story wasn't told very well in the original, you had to read inbetween the lines and go to extreme lengths to put the pieces together. There's a wiki on this now which covers the story really well.

Some people believe changes have been made, when in fact they haven't. and it's adding to confusion, speculation on reddit and other places.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sephiroth isn't showing us anything, the arbiters of fate are. The arbiters want to keep fate/destiny the same, the same story that was told in the original FF7 game. In remake you're fighting against that fate by defying it, making your own choices and fighting against it - as this story leads you. It's not a theory, that's why they were introduced into the game, to allow the story to be changed in ways that it was.

How is it not Sephiroth?

You've defeated the Whispers/Arbiters of fate, so how are they still providing visions post that point?

It's Septhiroth that shows Cloud the world 7 seconds before its demise, isn't it?

Similarly, to say something "isn't a theory" with this particular game seems shortsighted, literally anything is possible with the next entry as it's been left totally open. This is a forum for discussion, not shooting down anything that goes against your interpretation of the game.

Back
Top Bottom