Antec P182 with Ryzen?

Associate
Hey all,

Am planning an upgrade from a 7600k with GTX 1070 system to Ryzen 3600.

Currently the 7600k is in a Phankeks P400s that I got from OCUK a few years ago. Great case, lovely to work with but the thing is I have a mint condition antec P182 sitting in it's box in my office. I built a Q6700/8800 GTX system in it about 12 years ago and it was then, essentially mothballed due to getting shipped to another country for a job move that ended up falling through. Built other systems to replace it but eventually got the Antec Case etc back home a few years ago but did **** all with it.

Tried to sell it on but no buyers and rather than recycle I was thinking about using it for my ryzen build.

I'd plan on using a first gen Arctic Liquid Cooler 120 to cool the CPU (intake from roof fan mount) and then have rear 120mm exhaust and front and lower bay 120mm intakes to hopefully keep the GTX 1070 and rest of the components from overheating.

I know that ryzen can run quite hot and the P182 is geared much more for silence than great cooling but i'm still curious if it'd be doable. Any thoughts?

Soldato
If your not overclocking, i would just use the stock cooler and put 2 decent fans as exhaust on the top and rear. I wouldnt "intake" air from the roof, hot air wants to rise. if your going to use the AIO Exhaust out of the top or rear

Associate
Nice case and no reason why it wouldn't work. PSU is at the bottom which is good but sometimes unusual for an older case. As above don't intake from the top.

Soldato
eventually got the Antec Case etc back home a few years ago
Was shipping box full of stickers and stamps from all over the globe?:p

Because of having also some weirdly lame design details in addition to good ones that case has things to change/mitigate.

Half of intake capacity is for under 10% heat output of any even remotely modern PC.
That dual chamber design was essentially decade late and made for stone age PSUs of the last millennium, which produced over third of PC's heat output.
So would remove what ever plastic plates you can remove from that compartment divider to allow some air of lower intake fan to main chamber.

Also those plastic meshes behind door and in front of intakes are really airflow restricting, so those would be good to remove, or at least cut looser.
https://techgage.com/viewimg/?img=/...2_08.jpg&desc=Antec P182 Performance One Case

And to make room for graphics cards it's anyway best to take out that HDD cage of upper compartment.

There used to be also 3x5.25" sized holders for 12cm fans, which would be good for increasing airflow if you're not using 5.25" bays.
Well, this has also HDD cage, but it should give idea about those:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian-li-ex-36b1-quad-3.5-dual-2.5-hdd-rack-black-ca-410-ll.html
No doubt there are others available in web.

For case fans would use Arctic P12s with good performance when facing obstacles
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-cooling-p12-pwm-pst-black-fan-120mm-fg-04h-ar.html

Associate
OP
If your not overclocking, i would just use the stock cooler and put 2 decent fans as exhaust on the top and rear. I wouldnt "intake" air from the roof, hot air wants to rise. if your going to use the AIO Exhaust out of the top or rear

Cheers, didn't think of that. Had read something about the benefits of having the radiator on the roof of the case so was going off of that.

Nice case and no reason why it wouldn't work. PSU is at the bottom which is good but sometimes unusual for an older case. As above don't intake from the top.

Yes, still a lovely looking and quiet case. Cheer

Was shipping box full of stickers and stamps from all over the globe?:p

Haha that would have been cool, sadly just some GLS parcel shop ones :)

Because of having also some weirdly lame design details in addition to good ones that case has things to change/mitigate.

Half of intake capacity is for under 10% heat output of any even remotely modern PC.
That dual chamber design was essentially decade late and made for stone age PSUs of the last millennium, which produced over third of PC's heat output.
So would remove what ever plastic plates you can remove from that compartment divider to allow some air of lower intake fan to main chamber.

Also those plastic meshes behind door and in front of intakes are really airflow restricting, so those would be good to remove, or at least cut looser.
https://techgage.com/viewimg/?img=/reviews/antec/p182/antec_p182_08.jpg&desc=Antec P182 Performance One Case

And to make room for graphics cards it's anyway best to take out that HDD cage of upper compartment.

There used to be also 3x5.25" sized holders for 12cm fans, which would be good for increasing airflow if you're not using 5.25" bays.
Well, this has also HDD cage, but it should give idea about those:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lian-li-ex-36b1-quad-3.5-dual-2.5-hdd-rack-black-ca-410-ll.html
No doubt there are others available in web.

For case fans would use Arctic P12s with good performance when facing obstacles
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-cooling-p12-pwm-pst-black-fan-120mm-fg-04h-ar.html

Cheers for those pointers and links. Think i'd stuck in some noctua fans and stuff in back in the day so gonna have to open it up remove the old Abit IP35 etc, see what i'm left with and do some planning. It'll be like time team for me :D

Soldato
Think i'd stuck in some noctua fans
From age I would guess those are NF-S12s, which are one of the worst fans to use with airflow restrictions.
NF-P12 would be another sufficiently old.
But that thing vibrates more than internal combustion engine with broken balancing.

Associate
OP
Various things got in the way of my Ryzen plan so it was well delayed but in the end decided to go ryzen in the P400s. Happily though, my antec is doing stellar work as the home for my old 7600k build. Wife is using it so no need to overclock so temps etc. are all good.

A happy ending for the case :)

Soldato
Im using the p182 for my ryzen build. Silent and cool running. Very happy.
IMG-20201130-104133.jpg

Back
Top Bottom