Cheap 10GbE switch in 2020

Associate
What's the best current options? I have a Aquantia 10GbE LAN and I'll be connecting to a Supermicro X9DRH-7TF which also has 2 10GbE RJ45 ports.

Only the two devices right now so everything else could go on a 1GbE switch but would be nice to have 4 ports if I've had to fork out a bit of cash in the first place.

What's the current state of affairs for RJ45 10GbE as opposed to SPF+ and what should I be looking for? Happy to buy used or new, just want it cheap and reliable.

Soldato
Cheap RJ45 10Gb isn’t really a thing yet, you can create your own router and have multiple interfaces (can of worms and inefficient doing switching in software, especially at 10Gb), your best bet for 2 devices is to go P2P. Cheap options are SFP+ based and even then it’s not really cheap. You can source new switches such as the NETGEAR GS110MX-100UKS, but check the uplink ports can be used as conventional ports (they can in the 1G stuff I’ve used from them iirc). The XS508M is north of £300 but gives 8 ports.

Caporegime
Netgear XS505M (4 copper ports with SFP+ uplink) or XS508M (7 copper with SFP+/copper combo) seem to be the cheapest things that fit.

I've not used them, so can't vouch for their reliability. I've only used Cisco SG small business switches and had some software issues where they'd drop packets with double tagging but it sounds like you're not using these for anything other than hubs for more ports.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The Cisco Sxx50 (SG350, SG550, SX350, SX550) range are solid switches for the money. I'd never try and do any real layer 3 stuff in them or put them in where it was critical I could pick the phone up and get support, but they're decent enough as access switches.

Associate
OP
Netgear XS505M (4 copper ports with SFP+ uplink) or XS508M (7 copper with SFP+/copper combo) seem to be the cheapest things that fit.

I've not used them, so can't vouch for their reliability. I've only used Cisco SG small business switches and had some software issues where they'd drop packets with double tagging but it sounds like you're not using these for anything other than hubs for more ports.
Three hundred quid... Christ!

But I can just ignore the SPF+ port?

Actually, since it's only two devices for now, do I even need a switch? Can't I just directly connect them together?

Soldato
Er, where? Unless I'm missing something they only have one 10 Gb RJ45 switch and it's $600! https://mikrotik.com/products/group/switches

The CRS305-1G-4S+IN 4 port SFP+ with RJ45 SFP+ transceivers would be cheaper to start but check compatibility as the transceivers seem to be aimed at actively cooled switches from Mikrotik.

Reviews here have alternative RJ45 transceivers that work (QSFPTEK QT-SFP-10G-T) though they do run hot too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrYBhFIE-qA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXT4xQCHcKI

I think it's this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/QSFPTEK-Tr...T-MikroTik/dp/B07QSFQRTF?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

I'm actually interested in this setup now to initially connect my QNAP to my main PC for uploading as the QNAP is downstairs connected to the TV so RJ45 would be easier to run plus I have POE throughout my house for CCTV. QNAP is PCIE up-gradable to 10GTB and the adaptors are cheaper now.

Long term investing more up front might be better of course as the RJ45 transceivers are 2-3 times more expensive for example.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah if you are going for 10Gb its best to go the whole hog and go for SFP+ for everything and use standard SFP+ active cables (they have the SFP+ transmitter on each end) which can be under £10 each. RJ45 is unfortunately just not financial sense to do 10G, at the moment.

As to OP's question Zyxel do have a 'cheap' 10G SOHO switch being released soon - XGS1210-12. That only has 2.5G RJ45 ports, but does have 2 SFP+ ports as well so might be a good stepping stone. Would have been released by now, but the situation has led to it being delayed.

Soldato
Asus 8 port RJ45 + 1 SFP+ ~£350 is better value than a Mikrotik 4 port with 4 x RJ45 SFP+ transceivers ~£300. It's initially cheaper to get going and maybe has more management features but it soon adds up.

Caporegime
Three hundred quid... Christ!

But I can just ignore the SPF+ port?

Actually, since it's only two devices for now, do I even need a switch? Can't I just directly connect them together?

You can ignore the SFP port yeah.

Do you need a switch? You can connect devices together but you can't 'daisy-chain' devices if that's what you're trying to do.

I don't think £300 is a lot for a 10Gbps switch in all honesty.

Associate
OP
You can ignore the SFP port yeah.

Do you need a switch? You can connect devices together but you can't 'daisy-chain' devices if that's what you're trying to do.

I don't think £300 is a lot for a 10Gbps switch in all honesty.

If direct connect works, that might tide me over for a couple more years until consumer switches are cheaper.

Associate
OP
10g
CRS312-4C+8XG-RM is about £440 with 8 10g RJ45 ports

I think this one for £100 is a good deal (it's spf+ but transceivers are cheap enough): CRS305-1G-4S+IN
Yep, that's the $600 one.

£100 + transceivers is better but still dear.

(By "cheap", how much should the transceivers be for enough for two devices?)

Soldato
10g

Yep, that's the $600 one.

£100 + transceivers is better but still dear.

(By "cheap", how much should the transceivers be for enough for two devices?)
If you happy with used ones then I would think it's going to be about £30 each or so (I got a batch of 12 for £300) - so you probably looking at extra £120 for 4

As you already have the NICs have you thought about a direct cable connection from the Aquantia to one of the ports on the supermicro (Intel x520??) - assuming both systems also have standard 1Gb ports as well you could route all you 10g traffic direct and everything else over a standard 1Gb switch? It's not what your after - but if you only have 2 devices right now it might be better to wait as 10Gb ethernet appears to be getting cheaper and more common (very slowly at least!)

Alternatively just go full SPF+ and forget about you current NICs - mellanox connectx-3 NICs and even x4's (40GB!) Are cheap used, and SPF+ switches are more common secondhand

Associate
OP
As you already have the NICs have you thought about a direct cable connection from the Aquantia to one of the ports on the supermicro (Intel x520??) - assuming both systems also have standard 1Gb ports as well you could route all you 10g traffic direct and everything else over a standard 1Gb switch
Think this might be the answer.

Is there any loss to just routing everything through the Supermicro rather than running two cables up to my main box?

Soldato
I have a Netgear XS508M in my loft with my Synology and my VMware environment connected to it (for access) and also a netgear GS110MX in my office. This has a 10g uplink to the XS508M and 10g to my PC. My router has a 2.5mgig link back to the 508 so I'm sort of running the 508 as a TOR/Core.

These are unmanaged but for access a flat network is fine. I do have some enterprise-grade switches I use for the VMware backend/kernel stuff. I think the two switches were around £600 in total. I ran my own cat6. Get 10g over cat 6 fine at the distances I'm running.

Edit the GS110MX has 2x 10g/Mgig ports and 8x 1g ports. So if you only need 2 fast ports atm could use this. There is also a smart managed version of the switch and Asus do a similar model. It is a fanless desk style device. Don't expect an enterprise backplane/performance on it.

I paid arround £160 for mine.

Last edited:

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I run a UniFi US-16-XG as my core switch at home, which has a mixure of LC and Copper SFP+'s in it, so anything which needs 10GB has it then I have a normal access switch for POE / General access. I do also have a GS110EMX, which sits behind the AV rack as well.

Back
Top Bottom