Final Fantasy VII - "Remake"

Man of Honour
Midgar was about 5 hours I think, then you run around the world on a Chocobo? I remember having to get different coloured ones to reach new areas for Materia and Weapons, secret bosses etc.

I much prefer the fighting in the remake, I remember in the original it was 'oh not again'. Whereas now I am looking forward to fights.

Soldato
I'm a bit confused by this. You said you dislike the additional content with side quests then go on to say the additional content and changes haven't bothered you. The side quests aren't major story elements, it's why their side missions - giving character development rather than just clicking a button on a random NPC and having a text box pop up like in '97. Some of the rewards are very nice, and absolutely worth doing on hard mode for the additional rewards. They also aren't mandatory, if you prefer to focus on the main story you can.

FF7R will be 3 parts btw, not 2.

I should have been clearer, when I said I'm not bothered by additions and changes to the story I meant just in terms of the narrative. None of the changes or additions have bothered me at all.

Soldato
Midgar was about 5 hours I think, then you run around the world on a Chocobo? I remember having to get different coloured ones to reach new areas for Materia and Weapons, secret bosses etc.

I much prefer the fighting in the remake, I remember in the original it was 'oh not again'. Whereas now I am looking forward to fights.
Ye midguard was a breeze to get through, it was just a tutorial starter level but hearing that nearly half the game your stuck inside?? The game opens up after you get out of there,
And yes the combat was rubbish in the original @Raymond Lin @dancook

Caporegime
Ye midguard was a breeze to get through, it was just a tutorial starter level but hearing that nearly half the game your stuck inside?? The game opens up after you get out of there,
And yes the combat was rubbish in the original @Raymond Lin @dancook

The Combat in the original after a certain point when you have levelled up you just press 1 button a lot, Bash, Bash, Bash. Win. I remember spending HOURS grinding to level up before entering a new area, get the next limit break, so I don't get overwhelmed by the boss. I also remember spending hours in the desert hunting that cactus!

Also, some of the end game limit breaks animation takes a while, press a button and it will trigger a sequence that goes on and on, especially if you have this materia where it can chain multiple limit breaks together i recall? So Cloud's ultimate limit break he will do it like 3 times or something.

Soldato
The Combat in the original after a certain point when you have levelled up you just press 1 button a lot, Bash, Bash, Bash. Win. I remember spending HOURS grinding to level up before entering a new area, get the next limit break, so I don't get overwhelmed by the boss. I also remember spending hours in the desert hunting that cactus!

Also, some of the end game limit breaks animation takes a while, press a button and it will trigger a sequence that goes on and on, especially if you have this materia where it can chain multiple limit breaks together i recall? So Cloud's ultimate limit break he will do it like 3 times or something.
The combat was really pants but thankfully the rest of the game was class.

Soldato
i dont remember it taking 15h to get outside

You could complete the entire game in little over 15 hours if you knew what you were doing and skipped the optional stuff.

The combat was really pants but thankfully the rest of the game was class.

Going to have to agree to disagree with this, I loved the combat in the SNES and PS1 era Final Fantasies, a large part of the turn off for me in later games were the poorly implemented attempts at real time combat. Once you got to grips with the materia system the combat in FF7 was a lot of fun, although I've a preference for turn based combat in JRPG's outside of the Tales and Star Ocean series anyway.

Caporegime
Going to have to agree to disagree with this, I loved the combat in the SNES and PS1 era Final Fantasies, a large part of the turn off for me in later games were the poorly implemented attempts at real time combat. Once you got to grips with the materia system the combat in FF7 was a lot of fun, although I've a preference for turn based combat in JRPG's outside of the Tales and Star Ocean series anyway.

The combat is great when there is a struggle, but not much when you have levelled up enough later on. Some of the random fights becomes tedius, you can click fight fight fight from your group and wait for it do its thing.

When they are a challenge though, that's when it's good, thankfully the original game had a good difficulty curve as the game progresses, even to the end with the weapons. At max level they are still a tough cookie. You can die in 2 hits with the best defence, materia and stats.

Man of Honour
I still remember trying and failing multiple times to beat that enemy under the ocean, Ruby or something? Edit, Ruby is another one, it's Emerald I'm thinking of.

Soldato
The combat is great when there is a struggle, but not much when you have levelled up enough later on. Some of the random fights becomes tedius, you can click fight fight fight from your group and wait for it do its thing.

When they are a challenge though, that's when it's good, thankfully the original game had a good difficulty curve as the game progresses, even to the end with the weapons. At max level they are still a tough cookie. You can die in 2 hits with the best defence, materia and stats.

There's some excellent mods for the original that tweak the difficulty and even add more challenging enemies, the New Threat Mod is an excellent experience for anyone wanting to replay the original but wants a breath of fresh air.

I still remember trying and failing multiple times to beat that enemy under the ocean, Ruby or something? Edit, Ruby is another one, it's Emerald I'm thinking of.

Yeah, Ruby is the one in the sand next to the Gold Saucer.

There's different ways to tackle both, although with Emerald you generally wanted the underwater materia so you didn't drown during the fight. lol

Associate
@jonneymendoza erm the combat in the original was not "pants" how dare you lol

I also remember spending ages fighting the cactus and the 3 weapons, would spend my maths lesson making tactics with my friend for ruby weapon Haha

I am on chapter 13 in the remake and I am loving it, hate that I keep pushing triangle for menu tho! As others have said I a really enjoying the combat in this and look forward to the next fight, the flashing out of jessie, biggs and wedge was brilliantly done

Soldato
The problem with JRPGs and difficulty is that people grind too much and complain that the game is too easy. Like the 3DS Pokemon game where people left EXP Share on and wondered why the games were so easy when they were 20 levels higher than where they would be if they weren't using EXP Share. You should also turn off the ability to freely switch Pokemon between knockouts if you really care about challenge.

Soldato
You could complete the entire game in little over 15 hours if you knew what you were doing and skipped the optional stuff.

The world record is just over 7 hours. 15, despite being double is still absurdly quick that not many people did without intentionally planning a similar route for the purpose of speed running it.

FF7 is probably my fav game of all time. But the combat under certain circumstances wasn't fun, it was repetitive, tedious and often annoying when it became extremely trivial or you were trying to get somewhere quickly and constantly running from fights. Your knowledge of the materia system didn't change that. This is all very subjective though, I played Secret of Mana & Evermore and loved the combat system in them, but also loved Final Fantasy's system despite it's few annoyances. Anyone who chained KotRT on the Ultimate Weapons had time to go microwave a meal and finish it before it ended, few would put up with that today.

My thoughts exactly. It would have been nice to have Classic mode in FF7R like this but that would have required a lot of work.

@jonneymendoza erm the combat in the original was not "pants" how dare you lol

I also remember spending ages fighting the cactus and the 3 weapons, would spend my maths lesson making tactics with my friend for ruby weapon Haha

I am on chapter 13 in the remake and I am loving it, hate that I keep pushing triangle for menu tho! As others have said I a really enjoying the combat in this and look forward to the next fight, the flashing out of jessie, biggs and wedge was brilliantly done

Yeah it wasn't pants, I think some are saying it could become a little frustrating and boring under certain conditions. For the most part it's amazing with so much customisation.

Soldato
The problem with JRPGs and difficulty is that people grind too much and complain that the game is too easy. Like the 3DS Pokemon game where people left EXP Share on and wondered why the games were so easy when they were 20 levels higher than where they would be if they weren't using EXP Share. You should also turn off the ability to freely switch Pokemon between knockouts if you really care about challenge.

Final Fantasy 8 fixed that problem as the bosses levelled up when you did making it more balanced and you didn't get weird difficulty spikes.

Pokemon started EXP Share as they wanted to target it more at kids. Not like the 90's when it was for JRPG fans.

Soldato
The world record is just over 7 hours. 15, despite being double is still absurdly quick that not many people did without intentionally planning a similar route for the purpose of speed running it.

My best time was around 17 hours without planning anything out, I skipped the chocobo and weapon stuff.

The people hitting 8 hours are probably using mods to skip certain things, cut-scenes and I'm guessing the big story dump you get upon leaving Midgar.

The top "completionist" time I've seen is just over 20 hours, but that includes killing the weapons and pretty much doing 100% of the game.

Anyone who chained KotRT on the Ultimate Weapons had time to go microwave a meal and finish it before it ended, few would put up with that today.

It was hardly necessary for the game though, it's the sort of optional reward you got for putting the time in. I think even now, the people who would be willing to put the time into get something like KoTRT wouldn't particularly mind how long it took to cast. Regardless, I've killed both weapons without it using different means, it's hardly the sort of thing I'd consider a core staple of the combat in FF7. In fact, the majority of summons simply weren't worth using, same for most magic after a certain point. Hades and Phoenix are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that I ever used outside of KoTRT.

I'd have loved the arena fights in the Gold Saucer to have been more expansive in the original, I enjoyed the random factor but I admit there came a point where you were just too strong.

Soldato
Final Fantasy 8 fixed that problem as the bosses levelled up when you did making it more balanced and you didn't get weird difficulty spikes.

Pokemon started EXP Share as they wanted to target it more at kids. Not like the 90's when it was for JRPG fans.

lol...

Final Fantasy 8 is probably the easiest of the lot, the moment you figured out the basics of the junction system you could massively overpower yourself very early into the game.

In fact I remember getting Squall's ultimate weapon on disc one due to mostly just playing cards and refining things.

Soldato
It was hardly necessary for the game though, it's the sort of optional reward you got for putting the time in. I think even now, the people who would be willing to put the time into get something like KoTRT wouldn't particularly mind how long it took to cast. Regardless, I've killed both weapons without it using different means, it's hardly the sort of thing I'd consider a core staple of the combat in FF7. In fact, the majority of summons simply weren't worth using, same for most magic after a certain point. Hades and Phoenix are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that I ever used outside of KoTRT.

I'd have loved the arena fights in the Gold Saucer to have been more expansive in the original, I enjoyed the random factor but I admit there came a point where you were just too strong.

Was it necessary? Absolutely not. But many did it because it was strong, but it also took far to long waiting for the summons to finish. A strong ability doesn't necessarily mean for many that the offset is enjoyable when sitting back watching the same animation repeat until it's death. This was my experience when I first did it, boy was it boring. There are other ways to beat it but back then as a teenager it was my own and I'm certain many others means for defeating it. There's no denying there's a few other means that are way more fun!

The arena fights were so cool, but like you said earlier, with knowledge and taking advantage of materia (and limit breaks such as vincent's) you could totally cake walk it. I hope in FF7R the arena is expanded and balanced so you can't cheese it, only make it a bit easier with materia.

Soldato
Judging by the flow and pacing of Remake, I'm thinking there will be 3 more games. I used to think it'll be a trilogy, but there's so much game out there and with them changing things a little, I can see them twisting and blending events together over the coming games.

I've got a feeling Wutai is going to play a much greater part in future games:
They tied Avalanche's activity into anti-Wutai propaganda and are actively selling war to the people. Given how Wutai is painted as being a rival of Midgar and how much dialogue is put into the game regarding the Wutai war and the truce they have, I'm genuinely excited to see how they realise it. Also Rufus doesn't give his big spiel at the end, so I've got a feeling they'll change his character motivations a bit and have him more keen on conquering Wutai rather than chase the Promised Land like his dad.

I am really interested in seeing what they do with Wutai given it was mostly optional in the original.

Soldato
Judging by the flow and pacing of Remake, I'm thinking there will be 3 more games. I used to think it'll be a trilogy, but there's so much game out there and with them changing things a little, I can see them twisting and blending events together over the coming games.

I've got a feeling Wutai is going to play a much greater part in future games:
They tied Avalanche's activity into anti-Wutai propaganda and are actively selling war to the people. Given how Wutai is painted as being a rival of Midgar and how much dialogue is put into the game regarding the Wutai war and the truce they have, I'm genuinely excited to see how they realise it. Also Rufus doesn't give his big spiel at the end, so I've got a feeling they'll change his character motivations a bit and have him more keen on conquering Wutai rather than chase the Promised Land like his dad.

I am really interested in seeing what they do with Wutai given it was mostly optional in the original.

The whole Wutai thing was told in the original, just not very well. Remake aims to tell a number of arcs from the original better with the remake. The Destiny/Fate bit allows them to make some changes that weren't in the original, hopefully they don't go too far with it. So far I like it a lot.

Pretty certain Remake will be 3 parts, that's what I read sometime ago. I can see why it may seem bigger but a lot of the content and systems from this game can be carried over. Their already 1+ year into development into part 2. I hope we hear sometime in the near future about it :)

Soldato
lol...

Final Fantasy 8 is probably the easiest of the lot, the moment you figured out the basics of the junction system you could massively overpower yourself very early into the game.

In fact I remember getting Squall's ultimate weapon on disc one due to mostly just playing cards and refining things.

Until you get to Ultimecia Castle and you have to get all your items back. Its was fine if you used a guide or took time to learn and play the card game.

Back
Top Bottom