Is the AppleTV 4K worth it still?

Soldato
Mines set to that, and I get the Netflix switching black screen. I haven't tried BBCi player though

Interestingly I swapped my HDMI cable over lastnight and things are now much better

iPlayer doesn't blink, only a small blink now when going from and to HDR content

before though, I had issues waking the ATV up from standby where it would always change to 720p SDR until a reboot. Now it's stuck fast on 4k

Soldato
Interestingly I swapped my HDMI cable over lastnight and things are now much better

iPlayer doesn't blink, only a small blink now when going from and to HDR content

before though, I had issues waking the ATV up from standby where it would always change to 720p SDR until a reboot. Now it's stuck fast on 4k

Now I think of it, I believe I only got the black screen switch when it switched to and from SDR/HDR, so yeah could have been your cables.

Soldato
My Apple TV 4K is dead no lights nothing working. Called Apple support as I got it from Apple and they said there is no mail in support for Apple TV and I would need to take it to an Apple store. My closest is Birmingham. Crap service that I said it’s an hours drive and a nightmare but they said that is all they offer..... Not happy tbh.....

Soldato
My Apple TV 4K is dead no lights nothing working. Called Apple support as I got it from Apple and they said there is no mail in support for Apple TV and I would need to take it to an Apple store. My closest is Birmingham. Crap service that I said it’s an hours drive and a nightmare but they said that is all they offer..... Not happy tbh.....
I know this was an old post but relevant in current climate - this was wrong advice, they absolutely do mail in service for Apple TV

TJM

TJM

Associate
Anyone got an idea on when the next one is due? My sky ends next week as i dont watch it much but i want a good settop box for Netflix/Amazon Prime.
The 4K is still a good piece of kit and I can't see a replacement being any better for watching video.

Soldato
It’s fantastic, love mine. I use it for Netflix, Plex, Amazon, NowTV, BT Sport and Infuse (High end local streaming app for rips).

Quality is great, it’s fast and things like Airplay and the gorgeous screen savers just add to it.

Only thing I don’t like is the remote, would like them to update it. Adding a cover to it helps with grip a bit but is can still be frustrating.

Soldato
OP
It’s fantastic, love mine. I use it for Netflix, Plex, Amazon, NowTV, BT Sport and Infuse (High end local streaming app for rips).

Quality is great, it’s fast and things like Airplay and the gorgeous screen savers just add to it.

Only thing I don’t like is the remote, would like them to update it. Adding a cover to it helps with grip a bit but is can still be frustrating.

Minor I know but I think the screen savers are my favourite part. Love getting a new one each day and that are some beautiful ones on there.

Soldato
The remote is awful, simply awful. In fact, I find the whole thing overly complicated rather than being super easy.

The remote, UI, and navigation both inside and outside of video playback needs a serious overhaul. I mean even the UI on apple music is crap ffs!

Fortunately my samsung slim remote works the apple TV, but still far from ideal.

To be honest, I don't think it's worth the money. My samsung smart TV apps are just as good, and there isn't really that killer app which I feel is needed. The TV app doesn't work properly, some series from third party apps are not always correct, and the up next shelf support is hit and miss.

Maybe if they released an apple home app for it which was actually good and worked well (and I mean well, not bang average) with siri could be a game changer. Why not bring facetime to it and compete with facebook portal? I think this device is a bit of an after thought.

Huge potential (home, facetime, better icloud integration with widgets (eg: up next), google stadia, projectx, fortnite, hdmi passthrough for facetime/notifications/siri commands). Imagine a future apple TV with hdmi in where you could pass through your set top box and use siri as a voice remote, or connect a USB camera, and whilst watching sky a facetime call comes in and alerts you by overlaying the video on top of what your watching....or a reminder?

Sky are also not giving it much love, but then they never do with their apps (ie, ipad still missing picture in picture). They should at least bring the skyq app to it like in Germany, then I could get rid of my mini box.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well that's it for me. I do like Apple products, but IMHO the apple TV is the worst device they have made in a while.

Last night was the turning point when I found myself actively finding another way to watch netflix. Not sure if it's the awful remote, or the interface but I just don't get on with it.

I'll list it on ebay.

Soldato
Why couldn’t you watch Netflix on it?

This. I don’t understand the issue.

Sorry guys for the confusion, I don't think my post was very clear. Netflix works fine on the AppleTV, I simply don't like using it.

I just thought the other night when I prefered netflix through either the SkyQ box or the Samsung TV app, what's the point of keeping it.

It was being used as my home hub, but now I have the homepod I just thought I'd get rid of it. Just not for me I'm afraid.

Soldato
Not had any issues with Netflix myself as for the remote I just use my tv remote.

Yeah, I found the phone app was better than the remote, but still not ideal. Maybe apple will make a more traditional one with the next model. I love my samsung magic remote, hopefully they will do something similar.

Associate
I thought the Netflix UI was the same on every device though?

Certainly looks the same when comparing the ATV and LG app on my B7...

Back
Top Bottom