CPU / Mobo issue

Associate
Hardware involved -
Motherboard - ROG Zenith Extreme X399
Motherboard - Threadripper 1920x
PSU - HX1200i / Super Flower 650

A couple of months ago I was building a new mini gaming PC with the super flower 650 when I remembered I have a ROG Zenith Extreme / 1920x sitting idle. I have them a quick test to make sure I got a post, which I did. Left the CPU installed and put into the mobo box with bubble wrap on top.

Fast forward to forlough time and I'm just trying to build out a consolidated NAS / VM server using the hardware (X399 mobo, 1920x, HX1200i), however the damn thing isn't posting.

I didn't even get the "start" button on the mobo to light up (but the RGB does come on) so I did the following -

-> Reseated the CPU (checking for any pin issues etc.)
-> Used the original PSU I used for the post a couple of months ago.

If I take out the cpu (basically raise it up from the mobo) the "start" button does light up but obviously I get the big red light (near the CPU not the diagnostics led's) saying the CPU is missing.

I assume the CPU isn't seating correctly or there is CPU socket issue - can anyone suggest any further troubleshooting tips?

Last edited:
Soldato
i'd take out the cpu and with a light look at the socket and carefully check the pins are aligned correctly, even it one is slightly out or the head is broken off, you can fix the first easily just use tweezers to very gently bend the pin back, but if the head has broken away thats really bad, the only real fix is to use a dona board and remove a pin from the socket and replace with the damaged one on your board, but that carries massive risks as heating up too far can melt the socket or you can pull more that the broken pin out rendering your board dead.

are you using the included torx screwdriver that came with the 1920x to tighten down the cpu or are you using a Allen key, the latter may be putting too much pressure on the cpu raising it up just enough not to make contact thus stopping the pc turning on.

Associate
OP
i'd take out the cpu and with a light look at the socket and carefully check the pins are aligned correctly, even it one is slightly out or the head is broken off, you can fix the first easily just use tweezers to very gently bend the pin back, but if the head has broken away thats really bad, the only real fix is to use a dona board and remove a pin from the socket and replace with the damaged one on your board, but that carries massive risks as heating up too far can melt the socket or you can pull more that the broken pin out rendering your board dead.

are you using the included torx screwdriver that came with the 1920x to tighten down the cpu or are you using a Allen key, the latter may be putting too much pressure on the cpu raising it up just enough not to make contact thus stopping the pc turning on.

I'm using the supplied the torque supplied, an "eyeball" (not reliable at my age) I can't see any bent pins but I'll do some macro pictures later but you can normally see odd light reflections on bent pins and can't see any. Thanks for the feedback!

Soldato
in that case if the mobo looks good, take the cpu and check underneath where all the gold pads are, check they are free from obstructions and look close for any kind of discoloration if you find anything look how the cpu goes into the socket and then check the motherboard in that area.

it could be down to bad cpu mount, do you follow the pattern when tightening down the cpu plate it should go 1,2,3 and the socket should show which order to follow, also don't fully tighten one then move on gradually go around the screws so you get even pressure applied to the cpu and see if that helps

Associate
OP
@wookiee87 thanks for the guidance. It is fixed, as it turns out it was actually too tight but you guidance about the torque etc. put me on the right track to get it sorted. I tightened to the click and then undid each one 1/4 of turn and it posted.

Just need to try it with the cooler as that will probably have an impact.

Soldato
thats really good to here the systems now posting, as before when installing the cooler gradually tighten the screws all the way around and if need be loosen off a touch in case the pc develops the same problem.

also don't be afraid to use too much thermal paste, all threadrippers have massive heatsinks (ihs) try a kriss cross pattern and blot paste in between, if in doubt check YouTube video's and that will set you right.

hopefully if all the above goes well then your system should be able to post, keep us posted how you get on :)

Back
Top Bottom