The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Oof. Was going to Zwift race tonight, got 5 mins in and pulled the plug.

Maybe a little fatigued from Saturday still, did a fair bit of climbing. Little recovery Sunday but maybe not enough. Sore muscle just off the side and behind my knee (vastus medialis), maybe how you pedal on the turbo too more force going though it.

Aborted and did a fairly easy hour instead.

Soldato
When I ordered a Elite Suito from tredz they advertised the stock should be due 30th April, but I've just checked it tonight and it's now 1st July!!! Grrr... I was happy to wait a few weeks with my dumb wheel-on trainer, but July could (hopefully) be the end of the lockdown... At least the money only goes out when it's dispatched, so I can cancel anytime if I stumble upon one sooner.

I had a call from Tredz to say that they weren't expecting to get the Suito back in tick until September. I've cancelled and am now waiting on a 2018 KICKR from sigmasports. We're going to be in lockdown a long time I think, this year is pretty much a write off in terms of outdoor group rides :(

Soldato
I had a call from Tredz to say that they weren't expecting to get the Suito back in tick until September. I've cancelled and am now waiting on a 2018 KICKR from sigmasports. We're going to be in lockdown a long time I think, this year is pretty much a write off in terms of outdoor group rides :(

You can sign up for stock alerts through Wiggle - it's what I did to get my Kickr, but you've gotta act quickly upon receiving the e-mail as they're being snapped up given the current situation!

Caporegime
Q5. Whats the best value for money cycling shorts / gear? cheaper the better.

Going to use indoors for now but will use outdoors on paths / trails when the world goes back to normal.

The wiggle own brand stuff is good, discounted currently too, the DHB aeron ones. I have the winter ones. In fairness I only have the decathlon ones (the pricier ones though) to compare to, but they are very nice.

Associate
Tredz only take the payment at dispatch, so I'm happy keeping the order and if I find something in the mean time then so be it.

Elite are Italian, so I guess they're all caught up in lockdown too, but I imagine the trainers are made in China tho. So, there might be some chance we could get some stock before Xmas, unless it needs to go via an Italian distributor? Therefore I think any stock that appears on a website could be single units found tucked away somewhere or returned/demo units?

Tbh, I think the lockdown will last a while yet. They offered the furlough scheme "starting with 3 months and longer if needed" and they're not going to lift the lockdown while paying people to not to go to work (just they would have people kicking off if they announced the lockdown was also starting at 3 months instead of 3 weeks) - my logic.

Tbh, not sure how much I'd get to use the trainer anyway - I've setup my dumb trainer and only been on it a couple times as daytimes are a write off with childcare while the other half is still needing to work from home. By the time I'm "free" any motivation has gone and beer is calling... Tho, I guess with the longer evenings I could get out on the mountain bike in the evenings...

Soldato
Get yourself a nice new decent pair of bibs for outside and demote your old bibs to specific trainer use.
Seems better money spent IMO as that's a lot of money just for those shorts. You could get a very nice top end pair of bibs for only £20 more than those silly shorts.

My trainer bibs would land me up in jail if I wore them outside. 4 seasons old pair of Castelli aero race things that have been in a few crashes in races. Basically no left hip left in them as the hole is so big now. But the pads still fine.

Just ordered the new Castelli aero race 4.0 for £115 actually. They'll be turbo bibs in 5 years time maybe.

Soldato
My thought process behind looking at those is so that I don't need to wear current expensive bibs indoors, which aren't yet trashed - I need new shorts regardless for indoors so figured they may be my best option?

Edit: Oh, forgot to mention because I've done the Strava 100k DHB challenge I get 25% off the DHB Aeron range which is why I was looking at those.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got some new comparison data from my trainer vs 4iiii. Seems a bit better now. Not sure what was up the first time I tried it. 6% should be acceptable right?

EZYAD2c.png

I checked the value on myEtraining app for calibration and it's 6545 and the trainer has 6548 written on the bottom.

Also... Valley of the Tears on Rouvy is pretty rough... like the real thing. I'm just glad they haven't replicated poor surfaces on my trainer!

Soldato
Does anyone here use turbo specific shorts, such as these https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-turbo-shorts/

I'm tempted to get myself a pair and save my bibs for outdoor riding. I never wear the straps of the bibs inside and having a thicker/comfier pad and thinner material sounds good to me!

Bought some of those a few days ago. They do seem a bit more padded than the normal shorts I have, and the sides of them are a webbed/mesh material that should apparently let more air in. Only thing i did find were they were a bit tight on my legs at the bottom.

Soldato
Thanks for that Vigoro, I'll try the XL's out myself as I'm a rather big chap and see how I get on.

Took part in my first proper race today, I say proper as I did it after signing up for Zwift Power which gets rid of all the people riding out of their categories - in D category I finished 3rd time wise, and 3rd overall when you include the sprint and KOM points which I'm chuffed with.

My power is slowly creeping back to where it used to be back when I cycled "properly" (80 Watts to go!) but I've still got 10—15kg to go weight wise!

https://zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=552408

Soldato
Got some new comparison data from my trainer vs 4iiii. Seems a bit better now. Not sure what was up the first time I tried it. 6% should be acceptable right?

I checked the value on myEtraining app for calibration and it's 6545 and the trainer has 6548 written on the bottom.

Also... Valley of the Tears on Rouvy is pretty rough... like the real thing. I'm just glad they haven't replicated poor surfaces on my trainer!

Looks better, maybe do 2-3 more rides and see how it tracks, if it’s always 6% and if that’s at different power levels or if it varies depending on wattage.

If you have +/- 2% on each device and ones measuring crank and one flywheel then it’s close enough imo.

Soldato
Looks better, maybe do 2-3 more rides and see how it tracks, if it’s always 6% and if that’s at different power levels or if it varies depending on wattage.

If you have +/- 2% on each device and ones measuring crank and one flywheel then it’s close enough imo.

Yeah. I'll see how it goes. I think I'm ok with around 5% difference though I was surprised to see DCR got values within 1-2watts of each other when he tested the Direto X. Likely the Quarq and Vectors he used are better though.

Man of Honour
Crikey... Just done Alex Dowsett's TT Zwift session again and it is properly brutal when the FTP is *right...*

Legs are shot, and they'd already taken a broadside from an evening of heavy squatting two days ago. :eek:

Soldato
Looks like some nice over/unders to me - some revenge for this Bulgarian Split Squats you’ve been forcing us all to do!

Has anyone ever been tempted by a vEveresting while in lockdown?

Back
Top Bottom