US: Devs

Caporegime

From Alex Garland writer of 28 Days / Weeks Later and Ex Machina.

Devs is centered on Lily Chan (Sonoya Mizuno), a computer engineer investigating a quantum computing company called Amaya, run by Forest (Nick Offerman). She believes this company is responsible for the disappearance of her boyfriend.

Watched the first 2 episodes and I know I'm already hooked, it's made a very promising start.

Soldato
Same here, hooked after the first two episodes. Loving the musical score. Still none the wiser as to what's going on though.
The score and audio was what I hated the most. It was annoyingly loud and over dramatic, I had to turn down the volume.

Last edited:
Associate
Same here, hooked after the first two episodes. Loving the musical score. Still none the wiser as to what's going on though.
Have liked pretty much everything Alex Garland has put out filmwise and not disappointed with this.

Geoff Barrow and Ben Salisbury also did the soundtracks for Ex Machina and Annihilation and this instantly reminded of Annihilation.

Am really looking forward to see where it goes.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour

I think I get it. He still has not got over the loss of his daughter even though he says he has so is using some of the quantum computer resources in his own mind to recreate the perfect version of her to see her again. The practical nature of a quantum computer being that it can compute immense amounts of data at the same time, the more qubits it has the more things it can process infinitely. We are told that the qubits number isn't even worth putting into a meaningful number early on so this leads me to believe they have cracked the grail of computing and are now simulating projections of past and future events. They've already projected what appeared to be Jesus on the cross 2000 years ago although this was fuzzy. So their quantum modelling to predict behaviour of a biological subject is there. They hired Sergei because a projection destined his being to take the actions he did so they went one step ahead and sorted things out their own way.

Associate
Been mulling over the ending for a few days ...

When I started watching it, with all the talk of determinism and the multi verse , I wondered if the coming revelation based on Sergais reaction was that we lived in a simulation and that the Devs project had uncovered it .... changed my mind on that after episode 2, but now after the ending i'm not so sure, how would they know. At one point its asked along the lines of whats in the box ... everything and in that everything theres another box with everything in it and so on

Anyway its a mind blowing piece of Sci Fi, hope it gets the attention to allow Alex Garland to keep doing this stuff. Was surprised Annihilation was almost dumped onto Netflix in Europe and a very limited cinema release in the US, particularly given the box office success Arrival had just had a few months before.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That's correct. Multiverse theory when referencing time dictates that every action is due to cause and effect and every possibility that could ever happen does so in its own timeline. So in one timeline you have 1 less strand of hair than another. The quantum computer is capable of simulating these timelines as they are and the "viewer" is able to tap into any point before or after the present based on the parameters input.

It plays on many theories of the quantum universe that on paper exists but in practice, we will likely never know for obvious reasons.

I fear the show won't get the credit it deserves tough because the average viewer won't fully grasp the underlying principle of what the writing is telling.

Associate
Been mulling over the ending for a few days ...

When I started watching it, with all the talk of determinism and the multi verse , I wondered if the coming revelation based on Sergais reaction was that we lived in a simulation and that the Devs project had uncovered it .... changed my mind on that after episode 2, but now after the ending i'm not so sure, how would they know. At one point its asked along the lines of whats in the box ... everything and in that everything theres another box with everything in it and so on

Anyway its a mind blowing piece of Sci Fi, hope it gets the attention to allow Alex Garland to keep doing this stuff. Was surprised Annihilation was almost dumped onto Netflix in Europe and a very limited cinema release in the US, particularly given the box office success Arrival had just had a few months before.

I wasn't much for Annihilation, nowhere near the quality of Ex Machina.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
It picked up the pace later in the season. It felt a bit formulaic with the exposition of quantum principles and I thought I knew exactly what direction it was going but it deviated enough for me to really enjoy what they did with the story.

Still a couple of woolly bits, but overall I liked how it ended.

Caporegime
ya'll ever watch cold lazarus? old scifi tv programme, British one too.

you'd probably recognise a bunch of the actors and in a way its kinda similar to this
I think youre supposed to watch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karaoke_(TV_series) first but I don't know if I ever did.

Karaoke is a British television drama written by Dennis Potter with the knowledge that he was dying from cancer of the pancreas.[1][2]
It forms the first half of a pair with the serial Cold Lazarus. The two plays were filmed as a single production by the same team; both were directed by Renny Rye.[3] The series was said to be inspired by Potter's working relationship with Louise Germaine.[4]
Both plays were unique in being co-productions between the BBC and rival broadcaster Channel 4, something Potter had expressly requested before his death. The show was first aired on BBC1 in April 1996 on Sunday evenings, with a repeat on Channel 4 the following day.
The series stars Albert Finney, Richard E. Grant, Hywel Bennett, Roy Hudd and Julie Christie and features Saffron Burrows and Keeley Hawes in two early screen appearances.

Back
Top Bottom