BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
has anyone driven the N52 engined 330i and the N54 335i in manual? I am looking for a semi practical daily and to get back into drifting again. The normal S-body Nissans I used to use are nuts on price now so BMW seems the way to go. I haven't test driven either yet given the current lockdown so looking for any views/opinions. I like the idea of the 335i as it has the added power and I am used to turbo charged cars, however they seem to have a few common issues with injectors, turbos and the like that the earlier N52 doesn't suffer from. Any opinions/views helpful really.

The E90's can be had for cheap enough now that its a viable option, early cars are coming in at around £4k and upwards which isnt miles off an E46.

Soldato
I owned one about 9 years ago.

Amazing engine, ok car. Would imagine they are more trouble than they are worth these days though.

Funnily enough I did a search and came accross one of your posts, I noted that you drove the newer 330i which is about 20bhp more powerful than the previous engine. The 335's may well become a bit of a poor financial proposition given the age now, just wondering whether the extra 50bhp makes it worth going for over the 330?

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Stage 1 on the pre lci 335i takes it to 380 break (stock 306) and 500 torque (stock 400), on the 330i it'll only take you to 274bhp (stock 254) and 325nm (stock 300).

Decision should be an easy one :)

Soldato
has anyone driven the N52 engined 330i and the N54 335i in manual? I am looking for a semi practical daily and to get back into drifting again. The normal S-body Nissans I used to use are nuts on price now so BMW seems the way to go. I haven't test driven either yet given the current lockdown so looking for any views/opinions. I like the idea of the 335i as it has the added power and I am used to turbo charged cars, however they seem to have a few common issues with injectors, turbos and the like that the earlier N52 doesn't suffer from. Any opinions/views helpful really.

The E90's can be had for cheap enough now that its a viable option, early cars are coming in at around £4k and upwards which isnt miles off an E46.

I've owned both an N52 3.0 Z4 and an N54 335i in manual - keeping my thoughts on the cars themselves out of it, engine wise, the N52 is bullet proof by comparison, nice engine, linear power delivery etc. N54 very tunable, but unfortunately does have it's issues with reliability. It's still epic, and was used in the 1M also.

I'd be leaning towards the N52 for what you plan with it.

Soldato
I've owned both an N52 3.0 Z4 and an N54 335i in manual - keeping my thoughts on the cars themselves out of it, engine wise, the N52 is bullet proof by comparison, nice engine, linear power delivery etc. N54 very tunable, but unfortunately does have it's issues with reliability. It's still epic, and was used in the 1M also.

I'd be leaning towards the N52 for what you plan with it.

Yea it's a really tricky one, on the one hand power, on the other less reliability, fuel pumps, injectors, turbos etc. I have read the N52 is a solid unit. Im looking forward to the lockdown being over so I can test them both out at least.

Soldato
Yea it's a really tricky one, on the one hand power, on the other less reliability, fuel pumps, injectors, turbos etc. I have read the N52 is a solid unit. Im looking forward to the lockdown being over so I can test them both out at least.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the N54 in the 335i. But.... if your wanting to drift the thing, I guarantee it'll cause problems and they won't be cheap. Driving wise, the N54 is great though, simple mods take it to 400bhp. The later N55 did resolve some of the reliability issues of the N54, but is slightly less tunable.

Associate
Having owned a pre-LCI 335i for a good few years now, I'd steer towards the N52 if you're looking to do some drifting and generally thrash it around a bit - I've had both turbo's replaced, injectors, fuel pump, DSC Hydro unit and a few other niggles with oil leaks etc. - fortunately I've kept it under insured warranty with BMW so everything has been taken care of, but probably not the right car if you're looking for some relatively inexpensive fun.

Saying all that, I'm constantly fighting the urge to take it over to Evolve for a stage 1 remap - the gains are quite impressive :D

Soldato
Yea, as much as my heart wants the 335i, the head says get an e92 coupe with the higher power n52 and put an auto differential in it. Which is likely what I will do but I have to drive both at least!

NVP

NVP

Soldato
I have 1 F30/F32 19” BMW 403M Alloy Wheel brand new in box from BMW which I want to sell but struggling to figure out how to find the official BMW sale price for it. Any idea where I can find that?

(part number 7 845 883)

jQUNFQnl.jpg

8FoNP3Jl.jpg

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Surely just look on eBay at similar new but opened wheels for sale? The original MSRP is surely irrelevant....

Man of Honour
The original price is absolutely irrelevant really but likely about 600 quid.

Single wheels without tyres are not particularly sought after and its this, not the list price, that drives it's value.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
call bmw and ask how much it is :D
I thought they were closed?

Surely just look on eBay at similar new but opened wheels for sale? The original MSRP is surely irrelevant....
I did a google and could only find used but found new ones via ebay directly from 450 to 675.
The original price is absolutely irrelevant really but likely about 600 quid.

Single wheels without tyres are not particularly sought after and its this, not the list price, that drives it's value.
It is not irrelevant, if a garage wanted to replace an alloy with a genuine one but slightly cheaper then they can. If I know the original price then I can judge what to advertise it at.

Those wheels are €740 RRP at the moment. However this is an old wheel which is superseded by a newer model number. Honestly don't see you getting anywhere near that. Why have you been hoarding it for 5yrs? :D[/QUOTE
Hah not that long but decided to declutter, finally
Gonna leave it on gumtree for £550 :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It is not irrelevant, if a garage wanted to replace an alloy with a genuine one but slightly cheaper then they

But they won't. It's a wheel off a pre facelift version of a previous generation car. Nobody bar insurance companies have any interest in 500 quid bare wheels for these anymore.

Gonna leave it on gumtree for £550

And on gumtree it will stay.

Back
Top Bottom