Anyone have a Chromebook?

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
So I'm looking to get something portable for my girlfriend.

It will primarily be used for the following; internet browsing, uploading media to social media, watching Netflix/Prime on it, as well as connecting to a TV via HDMI to watch it on there, Word documents. Nothing else, no gaming etc.

Would a Chromebook fit the bill perfectly or is a cheap laptop better? Would prefer it to be as portable as possible, but also speedy, which is a concern as I see they are all pretty low powered CPU wise. She doesn't own a tablet, just her phone which she uses to do all of the above, which is why I wanted to make it more easier/enjoyable for her.

Any recommendations?

Soldato
I currently have a hp one cheap 4gb model.
It's great for I use it for, throwing into a bag and forgetting about it. Perfect for basic web usage and with crositini installed I can run geany or vscode

In fact I like it so much I am thinking of getting a pixel book go and giving the hp hne to the kids

Associate
Bought my mum an AMD £300 one, 1080p IPS touchscreen, spill resistant keypad, thing is pretty good.

I imagine the ones with the lowest spec will probably hang a bit, if not now, later. The cheaper ones have poor screens spec wise, but not seen them in person. But the one i bought looks decent.

Sadly the downside with chromebooks is end of life security after 5/6 years, (you'll need to check!), and paying more for less hardware. But in exchange you get ease of use, and non windows issues.

Really comes down to how much you want to spend. I'm not sure if chromebooks vary on tv connection, but just make sure, again, get a good processor (graphics).

[edit]
I think this one i got her
HP Chromebook 14A G5 AMD A4. But the highest spec model.

Associate
I have recently got an ACER CP713, 8Gig ram and 128 gig SSD, it has rapidly become my machine of choice, my windows and linux laptops are now relegated to being used only when the ACER cannot physically do what they can, which to be fair isn't much.

Soldato
I have an Asus C434 which lives in my work bag and it's great.
It does everything I need it to and the battery life is superb. To be honest, I was surprised at how well the lower end Chromebooks ran when I was initially looking to purchase.

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a Chromebook for my mother, under £500 (preferably closer to £400). She'll want a 14" screen, doesn't have to be a flip/tablet mode one. She'll basically use it as a web browsing/email/zoom machine.

I'd had a look about 6 months ago and had my eye on one of the HP x360 ones. Seem to be reviewed well enough. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom