*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Permabanned
Have the briquettes been stored in a damp place?
Did you leave the starter long enough ~20m
Were the vents fully open?
Briquettes have been stored in my shed for about a month or two but shouldn’t be wet or damp.
No I cut it a little bit shorter this time but I had plenty of white ash and flames licking over the top of the starter.
Top and bottom vents fully open.
I’m sure I’m doing something wrong I just don’t know what it is. Seems strange to me that half a chimney of briquettes would only just cook 4 burgers, I gave up on the bacon.

Edit. After inspecting the bbq I think I may have not heated them in the starter for long enough. What do you guys think?
image.jpg

Last edited:
Permabanned
I've had briquettes get going ok looking less ashen than those.

@Doobedoo are you sure you don't have ash buildup at the bottom blocking vents? Really does look like something's just killed the fire off. Do you live in an oxygen free environment?
No I literally cleaned it out before the cook. It’s starting to look that way though it really shouldn’t be that hard to cook some burgers lol.

Soldato
Does anyone use any of the online butchers? Any recommendations? Not turning my back on my local one at all but they are struggling for stock a bit so want a back up just for the mo.

I mainly use Turner and George and Rogers and Son. T&G aren't the cheapest but both of them have a good selection and know BBQ cuts. JL Butchers and Bobs Family Butchers are good too but they don't have a web shop. It might be worth checking out Meat Matters Ltd as well. Ollie Woolnough left Rogers and Son and started it up on his own but I've not got round to trying them yet.

Edit. After inspecting the bbq I think I may have not heated them in the starter for long enough. What do you guys think?

From that, it doesn't look like they've been burning long enough in the chimney. I find briquettes harder to get going so I tend to blast them on top of my camping stove until they are glowing! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Damn it, now I'll have to do an order! He was always good when I dealt with him at Rogers and Son and he definitely knows his meat. I've had some Galician and UK ex dairy from T&G which was amazing.

He's a great guy. If he gets you on the phone he'll talk for hours :D

The price I paid was excellent but it may have been introductory pricing. I haven't ordered any more to know.

Last edited:
Soldato
BBQ Vortex has arrived! Looks like a great piece of kit and I'm excited to get to know it. Got wings in the fridge ready to go on Thursday! Might try a beer can chicken at some point too.

Soldato
@Doobedoo they look as though they've barely got going, tip I got from here to get your chimney starter going quicker was to get one of the portable gas hobs for camping, I picked one up cheap from Aldi and it gets a chimney up to temp within 10 minutes if I leave it on all coals fully lit, or just gets things going so much easier than lighting up coals/briquettes normally.

For anyone on here that may know, is there a recommended Kamado style grill at the lower end of the market, I'd love something expensive like everyone, but can't really justify £1000+ currently so starting to look at the lower end of the market. I've currently got a Weber Master Touch that I got second hand which is great, but would love something that holds the heat a bit better as I like to BBQ year round and would like to smoke more with a bit more control/efficiency.

Permabanned
@Doobedoo what fire lighters do you use ? if liquid or gel .. put a layer on the bottom coals then stack a pyramid with rest of coals more liquid fuel ... light the fuel should burn for a good 10 mins ..
after 25 mins spread out the coals all coals that are not lit just put on top .. 5 mins later every thing should have a ash coating ... you then start to cook .
the lit coals will last a good hr so loads of time to cook what you want ..
if you need more time throw a few more coals on it after 20 mins of so .

Soldato
@Doobedoo they look as though they've barely got going, tip I got from here to get your chimney starter going quicker was to get one of the portable gas hobs for camping, I picked one up cheap from Aldi and it gets a chimney up to temp within 10 minutes if I leave it on all coals fully lit, or just gets things going so much easier than lighting up coals/briquettes normally.

For anyone on here that may know, is there a recommended Kamado style grill at the lower end of the market, I'd love something expensive like everyone, but can't really justify £1000+ currently so starting to look at the lower end of the market. I've currently got a Weber Master Touch that I got second hand which is great, but would love something that holds the heat a bit better as I like to BBQ year round and would like to smoke more with a bit more control/efficiency.
The Aldi Kamado Egg is due on sale from Thursday @£350

Back
Top Bottom