• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

More than 3 years on...and the 1080ti is still beasting it...

Caporegime
Sadly, I can only see it getting worse as businesses up their pricing to try and get back some of the lost profits over the Coronavirus period.

There may have been a brief spike in purchases to grab tech to work from home or to fill the void of lockdown but the following depression will see much fewer people purchasing gaming hardware.

Associate
Sadly, I can only see it getting worse as businesses up their pricing to try and get back some of the lost profits over the Coronavirus period.

There may have been a brief spike in purchases to grab tech to work from home or to fill the void of lockdown but the following depression will see much fewer people purchasing gaming hardware.

Short term perhaps to test the market but if people don’t buy then that pricing strategy won’t last. The problem I fear though is people being forced into low tier products with higher margins and only market competition will save us from that

Associate
Just shows how ahead of the game it truly was when it came out... mental performance really same with Titans.
It wasn't ahead of the game it was part of a consistent pattern of GPU improvement that had continued for two decades. Then Nvidia decided they needed more profit and with a lack of any meaningful competition they bumped the 80ti price up to where Titans had been before. Enough idiots lapped it up to keep 2080ti prices grossly inflated ever since. I say this as someone who went 980ti SLI, Titan Xp SLI then 1080ti SLI so I've been guilty of drinking Nvidia Koolaid but never again. The more $ you give Nvidia the more they keep taking the p$$.

Soldato
I agree wholeheartedly. I got mine from OCUK for basically nothing, in hindsight. One of the best PC purchases I've made, alongside the 2500K.

Soldato
Agree, card is still very solid. Got three of them in main rig and forth in the HTPC in living room for playing games and still do very well. Hope to upgrade to 3xxx (or see what AMD offers) but this has been the first generation in a while that I have not upgraded.

I don't think this that unique is it? The 8800GTX performed well for a similarly long time.

Not unique, but hardly common given the example you gave with the 8800GTX being similar as a card that came out nearly a decade and half ago. I imagine the price wonk of the new 2xxx series being uplifted through the range is partly what shines the 1080Ti in a nice spotlight.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
It wasn't ahead of the game it was part of a consistent pattern of GPU improvement that had continued for two decades. Then Nvidia decided they needed more profit and with a lack of any meaningful competition they bumped the 80ti price up to where Titans had been before. Enough idiots lapped it up to keep 2080ti prices grossly inflated ever since.

Totally agree. On the plus side, it now means less money spent by me as I will wait until there is the normal improvement in performance before upgrading. They shot themselves in the foot in my case as I refuse to pay more for less improvement.

Soldato
Why does the number of years matter? It's still last gens top tier GPU. It's not like there has been 3 or 4 generations of GPUs released since.

It's a great GPU, but people are making it out to be much better than it actually is.

Associate
Don't forget the cost of these cards... It's been what.. two years since gibbo did his super duper eol deals on 1080ti's for £500 & something squid :rolleyes:

Ryzen may have rocked the CPU cradle.. as for GPUs it's us that's been played... Ooof yeah it's late :p

Soldato
Don't forget the cost of these cards... It's been what.. two years since gibbo did his super duper eol deals on 1080ti's for £500 & something squid :rolleyes:
And two years on we're still getting the same performance for £500 quid thanks to the 2070 super!.

Back
Top Bottom