LG 34GN850-B 34" 3440X1440 NANO IPS 160HZ 1MS FREESYNC/G-SYNC

Soldato
1k for a nonhdr panel? No thanks ill stick to my OLED what are these. companies smoking?

Yeah, put it in a similar price bracket as LGs 55" C9 and upcoming 48" CX - makes you scratch your head a little.. One of the main reasons I picked up a 65" C9 was because these monitor prices are just nuts.....

Man of Honour
Yeah, put it in a similar price bracket as LGs 55" C9 and upcoming 48" CX - makes you scratch your head a little.. One of the main reasons I picked up a 65" C9 was because these monitor prices are just nuts.....
Totally different target uses and markets. Who wants a 65” TV on their desk if they are looking for a pc monitor?! Even if they are doing some gaming.

Soldato
OP
Totally different target uses and markets. Who wants a 65” TV on their desk if they are looking for a pc monitor?! Even if they are doing some gaming.

Exactly my thoughts, i've currently got a Predator X34a which has served me well, I would like a higher refresh rate and lower input lag for the FPS im playing more and more of.

I've got an LG OLED in the living room, the picture is beautiful but would never use it as my only monitor.

Man of Honour
Exactly my thoughts, i've currently got a Predator X34a which has served me well, I would like a higher refresh rate and lower input lag for the FPS im playing more and more of.

I've got an LG OLED in the living room, the picture is beautiful but would never use it as my only monitor.
Exactly :)

Soldato
But what is the refresh rate and input lag like of the C9?

When we get the HDMI 2.1 cards, 4k@120. Currently 4k@60hz or obviously <1440p@120. Input lag is barely noticeable to me tbh

Obviously :D I don't have my 65" on the desk either, and I rarely use it as a PC monitor at the minute - mainly due to the fact my Vega64 doesn't much like 4k. But the 48" CX is definitely in the realm of usability. The point more about the pricing vs features - and you definitely should understand where I'm coming from on that front given how involved in the monitor market you are. Prices have skyrocketed these last 5 years with very minor improvements on the monitor side, but the TV side has seen vast quality and feature improvement and the prices have been a hell of a lot more reasonable.

I'm looking at the 38GN950 to replace my XR34 that I bought .... it's gotta be 5 years? ago for somewhere in the region of £850, can't remember the exact price. The X34 poked its head at 1k iirc and the XR was a little cheaper... Anyway, long story short - that's coming in at around £1600. If we ignore the passage of time then that extra £600 for the extra few inches, extra refresh rate and some possibly-maybe-reasonable HDR implementation would have been quite reasonable/understandable - it's just a bitter pill to swallow that this market, out of EVERY OTHER MARKET (except maybe GPU but that's another kettle of fish driven by nVidia's marketing that I don't want to dive into) gives you more at the same price point as time/technology develops whereas this one is always asking more and more.

Edit:: Slight rant, sorry. Obviously it irks me some.

Soldato
OP
Official G-sync compatibility.
Hopefully a further improvement in motion handling.
Higher (overclocked) refresh rate,
Reduced power max consumption 80w vs 140w

Apart from that not that i can see from the spec sheet.

Associate
Oh well, bought a 34GK950-F which arrived this morning anyway. Not fussed on the overclock, and was after freesync anyway. First freesync and >60hz monitor too. Quick blast on Borderlands 3 with freesync on and around 90-100 fps with tear free screen. Very nice. :D Plenty of tweaking to do to find the best settings for me.

Soldato
OP
Oh well, bought a 34GK950-F which arrived this morning anyway. Not fussed on the overclock, and was after freesync anyway. First freesync and >60hz monitor too. Quick blast on Borderlands 3 with freesync on and around 90-100 fps with tear free screen. Very nice. :D Plenty of tweaking to do to find the best settings for me.

How are you getting on with it?

Hoping that my 34GN850 will dispatch shortly :)

Associate
How are you getting on with it?

Hoping that my 34GN850 will dispatch shortly :)

Pretty impressed so far. No dead pixels, don't notice any backlight bleed. If anything things looks very slightly darker right at the end of the screen, so either a different backlight system than my old monitor or they have gone overboard with whatever they use to seal the edges. :)

It's replacing a 34UC87 which I've had for getting on for 5 years, which developed some strange staining/marks in the panel. :( Compared to that, the 950 has a bit deeper curve, better colours and doesn't seem to suffer from some of the picture issues the old one had (occasionally there was a verticaly tear in middle of screen, as if it was processing things as two 4:3 panels side by side?). No speakers on the 950 (usefull occasionally on the old one) but does have a headphone socket. Stand seems a little wobblier, but if it becomes a bother can get a desk arm or something.

Higher refresh rate and freesync are great though - well worth it for that, even if it does mean my GPU is pretty much 100% all the time now. :) My old monitor was same res and ratio, so no difference there for me - but if coming from a 16:9 or 1080p screen it's a big step up.

Associate
So I don't really contribute to the forum (unless I need help...sorry), but I thought I'd stick my head up and say I'll be buying one of these (albeit debating whether to buy from Overclockers versus elsewhere for ease of returns). The reason being that I want a ultrawide monitor, with IPS quality, that can refresh at 144/160hz to match what I'm use to on my Predator 27". The switch from widescreen to ultrawide offers me the additional real estate needed (I did away with two monitors because I didn't like the black bar down the middle), which retaining the same ppi. My use is mainly functionality, but I also game on a Friday night on fps and racing games and until now, 160hz hasn't been possible on an ultrawide 34" that I'm aware of. Price is high, but there is nothing else out there to compare. You can't really compare against larger televisions for your living room when talking a conventional desk/pc/office setup.

Note - I have the latest Samsung Q90 in my living room; bought just a few weeks ago because the 2020 models offer nothing new so was an opportunity to pick up a bargain £1,200, especially compared to this LG gaming monitor, but they serve very different purposes).

Associate
Slight dissappointment on the 34GK950F is that the usb ports on the back don't seem to be powered by the monitor - it just appears to be a very basic two port hub. Can't even power my corsair keyboard on one usb connector (has two usb connections but states for USB 3 can use just the keyboard marked one, which works on MB connector) so don't think it even provides max usb3 power, just data.

Would be nice if it was a powered hub, and had 4 ports. The Dell equivalent seems to be a lot better there - 4 ports and two uplinks which allows you to switch inputs and share monitor between two pcs.

I guess this will be the same on the 34GN850? Probably won't know for sure until it's out and tested.

Associate
So I don't really contribute to the forum (unless I need help...sorry), but I thought I'd stick my head up and say I'll be buying one of these (albeit debating whether to buy from Overclockers versus elsewhere for ease of returns). The reason being that I want a ultrawide monitor, with IPS quality, that can refresh at 144/160hz to match what I'm use to on my Predator 27". The switch from widescreen to ultrawide offers me the additional real estate needed (I did away with two monitors because I didn't like the black bar down the middle), which retaining the same ppi. My use is mainly functionality, but I also game on a Friday night on fps and racing games and until now, 160hz hasn't been possible on an ultrawide 34" that I'm aware of. Price is high, but there is nothing else out there to compare. You can't really compare against larger televisions for your living room when talking a conventional desk/pc/office setup.

Note - I have the latest Samsung Q90 in my living room; bought just a few weeks ago because the 2020 models offer nothing new so was an opportunity to pick up a bargain £1,200, especially compared to this LG gaming monitor, but they serve very different purposes).
Investigating further, I may go for the 38" version instead lol (38GL950)

Back
Top Bottom