Poll: Apple iPad Pro

Are you going to buy an iPad Pro?

• Yes

Votes: 146 33.1%
  • No

Votes: 295 66.9%

• Total voters
Associate
The price of that magic keyboard makes me not want to buy anymore Apple stuff.

I love my Pro don’t get me wrong, but £300/350? For a keyboard? Wheels for £700?

They’re taking the mick now.

Soldato
Its probably a £300 peripheral in so much as it will be the best on the market and people will actually pay £300 for it. I have a young family and I am pretty much priced out of the Apple market right now but there is no doubt the products are quality.

Back in the day when I had cash to burn Id probably be all over it!

Associate
Its probably a £300 peripheral in so much as it will be the best on the market and people will actually pay £300 for it. I have a young family and I am pretty much priced out of the Apple market right now but there is no doubt the products are quality.

Back in the day when I had cash to burn Id probably be all over it!

I'm sure plenty will buy it, but there has to come a time where enough is enough and for me, that time is now.

Soldato
Don’t buy it then :confused:

Buy an iPad Air and be happy.

There is hardly competition in the high end tablet space, you either buy an iPad Pro or a Surface Pro, both are very different. It’s not Apples fault the android tablet experience is dire.

Associate
Don’t buy it then :confused:

Buy an iPad Air and be happy.

There is hardly competition in the high end tablet space, you either buy an iPad Pro or a Surface Pro, both are very different. It’s not Apples fault the android tablet experience is dire.

Lol, I've got an 11" Pro and love it. My issue (and am perfectly happy it being my own issue) is that a keyboard priced like this just sets a precedent that I don't want to follow anymore.

I've been a big advocate of the Apple ecosystem but I've personally reached my limit now.

Soldato
The problem for me is this accessory is still being used on a tablet. Whilst everyone can work in different ways, I much prefer to just use a computer when it comes to doing anything more work-intensive than some quick notes, a video call or watching videos. For those who work this way, this is the accessory to have, although the price is to be expected with a trackpad and proper scissor-switch keys.

Associate
I'm fortunate in that I don't need a full desktop OS for my portable device, for people like me the nicer screen and high refresh rate does make the iPad pro with keyboard a compelling option compared to a similar priced MacBook.

Soldato
Lol, I've got an 11" Pro and love it. My issue (and am perfectly happy it being my own issue) is that a keyboard priced like this just sets a precedent that I don't want to follow anymore.

I've been a big advocate of the Apple ecosystem but I've personally reached my limit now.

Yes Im the same, I totally see where you are coming from. The problem won't change as long as people are prepared to pay the price for a premium product I suppose. I have the slightly older pro model with they keyboard which was gifted to me (long story). I absolutely love it but if I bought it myself it would be about £1200 which is a crazy price really.

Soldato
I'm fortunate in that I don't need a full desktop OS for my portable device, for people like me the nicer screen and high refresh rate does make the iPad pro with keyboard a compelling option compared to a similar priced MacBook.

Never mind similarly priced. My 13" MBP feels like a dinosaur next to this, it's not exactly old either, I've had it since 2018 and now I can't wait to get rid of it. These iPad Pros are brilliant! No nonsense, no maintenance, just pick up and go.

Soldato

We are at that weird stage in technology where both the ipad and macbook air are undergoing somewhat of an identity crisis.

The ipad isn't mature enough to be a laptop replacement, but the macbook air doesn't have the horsepower to warrant being a laptop.

The macbook air is great for web browsing, social media, office documents etc etc......yet the ipad is arguably the better device for those tasks.

I don't think Apple made a good enough job with the 2020 ipad. The keyboard should have been better. Larger trackpad, function keys, do away with the floaty and redesign the hinge. Tweaks desperately need to be made with ipad os, it's still far too clunky.

The ipad needs to become bottom heavy when using the keyboard. I remember steve jobs attacking netbooks saying they are not the best of both worlds, they are the worst because they do nothing well. Mmmmmm.

Still want one though :D Do I sell my 2019 air and get a 12" ipad pro with keyboard.

Does RDP finally work well enough? I mean can you use it properly, or does it still do that stupid thing where it thinks the mouse pointer is your finger.

Last edited:
Soldato
The main issue with the iPad is still multi tasking. Try having zoom video conference and taking notes at the same time or skipping tracks on Spotify/Apple music while typing a word document.

These sorts of simple tasks are just more time consuming/complex or sometimes just not even possible.

I’d contradict the above post and argue that the Air (or surface pro if that’s your flavour) is a far more well rounded device when it comes to getting work done, especially if you need a few apps open at once.

I’d much rather use the iPad when sat on the sofa or consuming content though.

V F

V F

Soldato
The price of that magic keyboard makes me not want to buy anymore Apple stuff.

I love my Pro don’t get me wrong, but £300/350? For a keyboard? Wheels for £700?

They’re taking the mick now.

I thought it was £400 for the wheels which is still LOL get out of here.

Soldato
The main issue with the iPad is still multi tasking. Try having zoom video conference and taking notes at the same time or skipping tracks on Spotify/Apple music while typing a word document.

These sorts of simple tasks are just more time consuming/complex or sometimes just not even possible.

I’d contradict the above post and argue that the Air (or surface pro if that’s your flavour) is a far more well rounded device when it comes to getting work done, especially if you need a few apps open at once.

I’d much rather use the iPad when sat on the sofa or consuming content though.

I know what ur saying. That's the biggest issue I'm finding with my air. When ur in a single app, it's great....but for fast mutitasking, or just zipping around the system it's like there's a a constant barrier between you and the thing your trying to get done.
Maybe apple needs to design a kind of desktop interface when you dock the keyboard to it. I'm still not 100% certain on the mouse implementation.

:edit: so a friend I knew with an original air has offered to buy mine for £450 (plus im throwing in a case and a years o365)....so I've ordered a 12.9" pro :p My mind was made up when outlook crashed on my laptop (new surface laptop 3) and there's an annoying docking station bug where after a reboot both laptop and monitor has a blank screen. Just giving me something which works (too old now to be faffing about).

Last edited:
Associate
Never mind similarly priced. My 13" MBP feels like a dinosaur next to this, it's not exactly old either, I've had it since 2018 and now I can't wait to get rid of it. These iPad Pros are brilliant! No nonsense, no maintenance, just pick up and go.
That's a good point, most of us on this forum will have desktops we've made that we like to tinker with so it's nice to have a second device which is no nonsense.

I don't think Apple made a good enough job with the 2020 ipad. The keyboard should have been better. Larger trackpad, function keys, do away with the floaty and redesign the hinge. Tweaks desperately need to be made with ipad os, it's still far too clunky.

I imagine there's not enough space to accommodate a larger trackpad and an extra row for function keys because the keyboard needs to the size it is because it's also a case. Also the function keys would probably be hard to access because of the floating iPad. Form over function for a 'pro' device is very apple I suppose but I'm still getting one haha :D

Back
Top Bottom