BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
No like you I can only get gigabit speed with an Ethernet cable, can’t even get my base speed of 500 mbit/s without using a cable. Everything had been ok for the last year and a half but now my base speed has outgrown what my WiFi adapter is capable of.

Powerline adapters aren’t quite there yet either.

Yeah, cables, the nessacary evil :D

Depends on your situation, i can get 880Mbps over WiFi and I'm not even on .ax, this setup is a ASUS PCE-AC88 and a RT-AC86U router. Router is on the ground floor with PC in a bedroom upstairs. It is doable on WiFi for some people but of course wired is inherently the most stable if you can run it.
OehgzaQ.png

Soldato
Yes, that's still a Huawei box. The Nokia ones are even smaller but I've not seen any yet.

Here's a photo of mine...

Fibre cable is pulled in from existing ducting...

xYA4IOc.jpg

Goes to a little splice box then into the Genexis ONT...

KNqqcaG.jpg

Finally you connect the red patch cable from the ONT into the dedicated WAN port of the router...

o2IQr4p.jpg

Soldato
Hi again man haha, coincidently I am on FTTP as well on the 300mb - did you upgrade from that? did you notice any difference at all?

hey dude :)

yes mate, I upgraded from the 300 service.

there was a big difference that my steam etc.. doubled in DL speed and my game ping lowered some .

Are you on BT too mate?

Soldato
Found out recently that BT offered to lay fibre down the road my father lives on, but the majority vote on the estate was against it, as they didn’t want the road digging up and the cost wasn’t worth it... :mad: There are a number of houses where the cost of laying fibre would be pocket change to them :(

Now stuck with 47Mb :o

Soldato
hey dude :)

yes mate, I upgraded from the 300 service.

there was a big difference that my steam etc.. doubled in DL speed and my game ping lowered some.

Are you on BT too mate?

ah right - didn't think it would have lowered the ping! - i was aiming for that, yep on BT 330/50 up, was about to upgrade but COVID upgrades are suspended, Was considering waiting for CityFibre but good knows how long that will have been pushed back, I guess upgrading means a new contract?

Soldato
Found out recently that BT offered to lay fibre down the road my father lives on, but the majority vote on the estate was against it, as they didn’t want the road digging up and the cost wasn’t worth it... :mad: There are a number of houses where the cost of laying fibre would be pocket change to them :(

Now stuck with 47Mb :o

yeah, it’s crazy, my mum moved house recently and she can get basic internet but the other side of the street can get virgin fibre.

ah right - didn't think it would have lowered the ping! - i was aiming for that, yep on BT 330/50 up, was about to upgrade but COVID upgrades are suspended, Was considering waiting for CityFibre but good knows how long that will have been pushed back, I guess upgrading means a new contract?

yeah, I renewer to a 24 month contract. I must say I have had all but good experience from them.

what sort of speeds to city fibre offer?

Caporegime
yeah, it’s crazy, my mum moved house recently and she can get basic internet but the other side of the street can get virgin fibre.

yeah, I renewer to a 24 month contract. I must say I have had all but good experience from them.

what sort of speeds to city fibre offer?

Apparently the London borough of Kensington, the most expensive place to live in the whole of the UK, doesn't even have FTTC as they refused permission to dig up the road and install a new cabinet.

Back
Top Bottom